How can I check and set my auto choke? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech > Tech FAQ archive

Tech FAQ archive Useful and frequently asked tech questions. Mods, please move FAQs into this archive.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Belly
vv FINISHED!!! vv

Trading feedback: (0)

Default How can I check and set my auto choke?

Hi,

[1300 1970 Beetle 34 Pict 3 Carb]

My choke isn't cutting in and in this cold weather is causing me to stall, is there a way to test it once it's off, I have two and i'm not sure that either of them are working. Also, can you set them to come on at different temperatures?

Cheers, James
Old 04-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
DesGoldBeetle
Wannabe Chat Slut

Not sure how you can test it while its off but while its fitted you can look to see if it is moving the cam on the carb when the engine is cold. Adjustment is by turning it round slightly (there are marks on it usually) - forward by to make it come on more. When the engine is completely cold it should move the cam right to the top of the cam.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone can add to it.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Belly
vv FINISHED!!! vv

The cam doesn't move

I've set it so that without ignition the cam is just on the lowest step and when running it remains there. I'm just wondering if there's any other way to test it before buying a new one???

Cheers, James

Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
DesGoldBeetle
Wannabe Chat Slut

I'm sure the way to set it is by turning the choke forward until there is a 5mm space between the butterfly and the carb top (measure this with a 5mm drill bit when engine is cold). You need to make sure you hold the throttle lever out to allow the cam to move freely too. This should be on the highest step of the cam. I'm sure Moby will correct me later if I have got this wrong or missed something.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
yellow_spider
Help! I'm trapped in here

how to set the choke...

with a COLD engine , press the acc and release it , this sets the choke on with a cold engine. dont switch on the ignition at all. take the air filter off and look at the choke cam and choke butterfly , they should look about like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oke_closed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oke_cam_on.jpg

note there should be a small ish (about 5mm sounds right) gap in the butterfly.

with a HOT engine (one thats been running for about 15 mins or so) , switch off , remove the air filter and go and look again. it should look like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Choke_open.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ke_cam_off.jpg

you can adjust it by loosing the three screws on the side of it and turning it slightly. hold the throttle lever clear of the cam when you are adjusting it.

only slacken the screws about a turn or so. they do get lazy when they are old though and dont always fully open. its just a heated coil element.

dont have any more pics to hand. hope that helps a bit.

also test that when the ignition is on the wire at the choke element is live.

it might be best to just replace the choke element if in doubt , they are relatively cheap.

im sure moby could explain it better.

yellowspider (nothing to see at the moment)

Dubtime
Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
DesGoldBeetle
Wannabe Chat Slut

That was the explanation that I wanted to give
Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Moby5153
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_spider
how to set the choke...

im sure moby could explain it better.
No I couldn't. Even an idiot could understand that, esp. with the pics. If you added a pic of the choke adjustment marks it would be perfect.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
yellow_spider
Help! I'm trapped in here

il be getting that pic tommorow ideal time as i appear tonight to have developed a fuel leak of some kind , well it stinks of fuel ( ) il be looking in the light tommorow (and not using the car till ive checked it)

those pics above are quite old now.

yellowspider (nothing to see at the moment)

Dubtime
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Belly
vv FINISHED!!! vv

Thanks yellow_spider that was a great description! My wire is live and nothing happens with the coil so I think I need a new one. I have also seen the three marks to line up with.

I have just noticed your air filter clamp is a lot larger than the carb, does it tighten up because I have that trouble where my filter is a loose fit?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Moby5153
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly

I've set it so that without ignition the cam is just on the lowest step and when running it remains there.
Without ignition, ie. cold, the cam should be on the highest step, so have you got the hooked spring engaged inside? The usual fault with a choke is that it doesn't fully go off, not that it doesn't come on at all.
Your airfilter clamp should only just grip the filter to the carb body, the clamp bar from the filter to the bottom carb mounting nut keeps it from falling off (see pics). If you tighten it too much the carb top will distort and jam the choke.