Heater Channel Replacement - How & Why - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech > Tech FAQ archive

Tech FAQ archive Useful and frequently asked tech questions. Mods, please move FAQs into this archive.

Old 22-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
leadluke
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Thanks Peter. This is probably a wise place to ask peoples' opinions on not replacing the whole channel, but repair panels on the heater channels such as 6 and 7 on http://www.vwheritage.com/publicRout...7&cfid=2394266

That seems a little more appealing as it eliminates some concerns but involves more cutting/welding as I would see it.
Old 22-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #22
Peter
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCooledNewBee
....I have to replace bth rear quarters, should this be done after the channels?
This depends on which part is in worse condition. If the rear cross panel is in good shape, you can remove both the heater channel and the rear quarter at the same time. However, if you want to take it a step at a time, remove the one that is worst so that you can use what is left of the other to get its positioning correct, just don't weld onto the old panel. Then replace the other panel. If it is hard to say which is worst, then fit the heater channel first but leave off the bottom plate (if you have that choice) until after you have fitted the rear quarter; that way you can clean up the interior of the heater channel after all the welding.
Old 22-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
Peter
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric_thumbs
I agree - but in my cabriolet - I jogged the shell to get the door gaps correct then welded in bracing - especially as the heater cahnnels were so bad I was worried about the car breaking in two when i took it off the chassis
Convertibles are different and bracing will be necessary when fitting new heater channels. Even then, they are incredibly difficult to get right.

Old 22-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #24
Peter
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadluke
....opinions on not replacing the whole channel, but repair panels on the heater channels...
I would only do this if you really have to. Either that or as a necessary stop-gap before doing the whole job at a later date.
Old 22-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #25
metric_thumbs
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Convertibles are different and bracing will be necessary when fitting new heater channels. Even then, they are incredibly difficult to get right.
They are - I didn't
Old 22-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #26
AirCooledNewBee
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
This depends on which part is in worse condition. If the rear cross panel is in good shape, you can remove both the heater channel and the rear quarter at the same time. However, if you want to take it a step at a time, remove the one that is worst so that you can use what is left of the other to get its positioning correct, just don't weld onto the old panel. Then replace the other panel. If it is hard to say which is worst, then fit the heater channel first but leave off the bottom plate (if you have that choice) until after you have fitted the rear quarter; that way you can clean up the interior of the heater channel after all the welding.

That makes sense to me coz frankly the channels are in better shape (front 2/3) than the cross members and inner arches etc. General advice seems to be channels first but I have nothing to line them up to.

Thanks