For 6v to 12V conversion what parts whould be needed - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech > Tech FAQ archive

Tech FAQ archive Useful and frequently asked tech questions. Mods, please move FAQs into this archive.

Old 24-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Danielgomez
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default For 6v to 12V conversion what parts whould be needed

As above,anyone tell if im missing anything out?
Starter,F/wheel,Alternator,Reg Box.
It will be on a 63 bug 1200.
Thanks in advance.
Dan.
Old 24-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Howard66
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

Choke, coil, fuel cut-off switch, wiper motor, bulbs, horn, radio, battery, headlight and indicator relays.. If you're changing to an alternator, then you'll also need the engine pedestal.

Some say that you don't have to change the starter, but if you do you'll also need the 12V conversion bush to fit in the bell housing.

Personally I have no problems with a 6V system - just make sure it's all in good order.
Old 24-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
kazjooster
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

I recently changed mine over to 6V on my 1200 63 bug.

Your need to change everything listed above. However if you've got the original 28-PICT Carb you cant just simply put in a 12V choke element. The quickest solution that I used was to change carb to the 28-PICT-1 which has the larger 12V choke.

Next problem your find, is that the new carb won't fit and will foul against the generator casing so your need a spacer inbetween the carb and manifold to slightly raise it.

Really wouldn't bother changing the starter, and the simple answer is, if you want to keep your original engine, you can't put a 12V starter in as you've got an old 6V crank ect... I have seen some BOSCH hybrid ones, 12V starters that you can switch over without any modifications, such as changing the flywheel and such.

You can keep the 6V horn, i've done so, it will last a while before it eventually burns out, mines kept going thus far..

Old 24-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
jerico
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (7)

^^^ + All your bulbs ( including the ones in the dash ) interior lights, stereo ( if it has one)
Old 24-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Moby5153
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Speedy Jim has further help http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm
Old 24-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Horrido
Help! I'm trapped in here

Why bother?

Dressed like a priest you was
Tod brownings freak you was
Old 24-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
adi #2
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Yeah, early beetles are really getting rare now, no point wrecking one.

Wreck a 1972 or something while they are still common

By the way, is there any particular reason why you are switching to 12v? There is a hell of alot of misinformation about, mainley from people who don't know how elecrics work and automatically assume that because 6 is less then 12, a 12v system is 'better' then a 6v system. Iv ran various daily drivers with 6v and it was OK, even in winter, and I did some pretty big milage in one of them.

Also its not so straight forward. If you want to fit an alternator like you said, then you end up with a starter AND alternator, both of which are different to whats fitted(the alternator will foul the fuel pump too), etc etc, so thers alot of messing around and changing stuff to make your 12v gear fit.
Old 25-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Howard66
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

I always think that the reason why the 12V conversion seems to work is mainly due to the fact that you are replacing 40-year-old electrical components with lovely, shiny new ones.. Give your 6V system a bit of love and you won't be far off 12V performance

You can get 6V halogen headlight bulbs if you want something a bit better than stock. The only modification to fit these is to remove the little "shades" that go over the original bulbs.
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1962 Austin Mini De-Lux
1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
Old 25-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
kazjooster
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

I agree with everything mentioned above and of course it's your decision if you want to change to 6V, but the main reason I switched over was to make it more practical for daily-use, if I rarely used it I would prob of stuck to 6V. I maybe removing a few rare components such as the 28 PICT carb, but, i've still got my original '6V 1200 engine' with 6V features left in the car such as the horn, starter, the main wiring loom, the 6V VDO fuel guage. You are after all only really replacing main things like the coil, battery, generatr, regulator and bulbs, things that would normally be replaced in a beetles lifetime anyway.

And I've found there is actually a significant difference is brighter lighting, the ease to jump start your battery on the road (now it's 12V) connecting high perf radios and sound systems and other gagets such as ipod (which is what I wanted), sat nav, the wipers also run a little faster with a 12V wiper motor.
Old 25-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Danielgomez
Wannabe Chat Slut

Hi guys thanks for all your advice,tips etc etc.
Will maybe stick with it as is only/main reason i was wanting to convert it was for a
good stereo.
Been really spoiled with my Bay as i could pretty much fit anything i wanted Stereo wise within reason.
Will play it by ear(if you pardon the pun) and if i cant put up with an ipod and ear phones at least i know what kind of headache i have ahead of me in the pursuit of music in the car.
Thanks again for all your help.
Dan.