Engine Cylinder Heads - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
oj77
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Cylinder Heads - Part Number = ?

Afternoon,

I think I got mugged off on eBay..........no surprise I hear you say. I bought what I was told and thought to be 1600 DP heads in good condition.
On closer inspection I found a crack and spark plug thread missing. But the biggest concern was they dont fit the B+P I have for a 1600.

Is the cylinder head part number 113 101 375 for a 1300 or 1600 ?

(90mm across the bore of the head.)

Last edited by oj77; 24-07-2019 at 12:27 PM..
oj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Manxdavid
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (4)

Take the case up with eBay and/or Paypal. They nearly always side with the buyer.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Manxdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
David.H
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

That number is a 1600 head but the crack near the spark plug hole means it isnt very good. Agreed chase up with ebay and they should side with you. Out of interest what size are your barrels (as you say they dont fit?)
David.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
oj77
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.H View Post
That number is a 1600 head but the crack near the spark plug hole means it isnt very good. Agreed chase up with ebay and they should side with you. Out of interest what size are your barrels (as you say they dont fit?)
Barrels measure ID 87 and OD 93.8 - Veewee Part No 164VG0130 https://www.veewee.co.uk/164vg0130 - 1641 bolt on.

Cylinder head to barrel ID 90

Just measured the exhaust valve at 32mm so that fits with 1600 correct ?

Last edited by oj77; 24-07-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Old 24-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Just measured the recess in a pair of brand new 1600 heads - 93.8mm

So, assuming your heads are twinports, then you have 1300 ones. I wouldn't trust valve sizes or casting numbers - different years / models / countries used different valve sizes and the number in the head is there from the casting, the head can then either be machined into a 1300 or a 1600 item.

Raise a case with the seller for a refund.
And never buy second hand heads - it's false economy. You have no idea what abuse they have already had, and chances are you'll have to renew the valve guides and exhaust valves as a bare minimum so you're already on your way to the price of new heads anyway.

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
oj77
Chat Slapper

Thanks Dave for your reply.

I have already repaired the spark plug thread, so scuppered any eBay refund.

I'll strip them down and check the valve stems etc. And if everything else checks out, I can machine the bore to accept the barrels. I am a cheap skate plus it give me something to do in my spare time, I have a machine shop at work.
Old 25-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

That's OK then - you have the technology.

Check valve guide wear very carefully, exhaust guides wear faster than inlets. Dropped exhaust valves have scrapped many an engine so I would bin them regardless.
I lost a really good 1500, crankcase and all, because I re-used old exhaust valves trying to save a few quid.

Check side to side slop with the new ones and fit new valve guides if there's more than 1mm movement in the head with the valve dropped in then fit new guides, or re-line the old ones.

It's usually OK to re-use inlets as they don't have anywhere near as hard a life.

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread