Electrics VW T4 alternator / starting issue - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Joe Dirt
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default VW T4 alternator / starting issue

Good morning,

I have a T4 with an AHU conversion. A couple of weeks ago the battery light started to glow dimly and oil light flash. I purchased and fitted a new Hella alternator which seemed to do the trick. However, after returning to the vehicle after a short drive it was billowing smoke from under the bonnet. I quickly disconnected the battery and inspected to find the alternator melted and a pool of melted casting and plastic on the tarmac! After disconnecting the cables and making them safe I attempted to start the van but it coughed and puffed and wouldn't run. I had the van recovered to home and yesterday fitted a second new Remy alternator, main cable from the starter motor and replaced the instrument wires (D+ and W). I also charged the battery afterwhich it registered 12.7v on my multimeter. Again, the van fires but won't run. I tried switching the ECU for a spare and also the ignition relay but neither made any difference. Visually there does not appear to be any damage to other wiring. I'm at a loss as to what to do next and am hoping someone may be able to help!

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Darren