Stick or Twist? Porsche 911 996 considerations - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
TGASS
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Stick or Twist? Porsche 911 996 considerations

So, I currently have two "fun" cars alongside my dull daily driver.

Those are a 1970 Beetle 1300 and a 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6.

As a father of three small children, I find that I rarely have time to drive / tinker with one of my fun cars, let alone two. One is in a barn and it becomes a bit of a pain to keep them both in top order. Real shame. The deal with wife is to sell both cars and have just the one fun car. In that case, it will need to be a car that's effectively in dream car territory for me.

With no budget limitations, I'd be looking at an air cooled 911, probably 1980s, whale tail era. However, those prices are now officially insane. With the sale of both cars and 5k on top, I'd probably be looking at a 996 911. The thing is, would I have that and always wish I had the earlier 911? I've not driven one (or even been a passenger in one), but will they blow me away? Do they feel that special? I'd hate to buy it and think that its less fun to drive than the GTi and not as pretty to look at as the bug. Also slightly concerned that maintenance would significantly step up from my two more basic classics.

So should I a) Man up and stick with what I've got. b) roll the dice and take the first step into Porsche ownership.

Over to the masses.....
TGASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGASS View Post
So, I currently have two "fun" cars alongside my dull daily driver.

Those are a 1970 Beetle 1300 and a 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6.

As a father of three small children, I find that I rarely have time to drive / tinker with one of my fun cars, let alone two. One is in a barn and it becomes a bit of a pain to keep them both in top order. Real shame. The deal with wife is to sell both cars and have just the one fun car. In that case, it will need to be a car that's effectively in dream car territory for me.

With no budget limitations, I'd be looking at an air cooled 911, probably 1980s, whale tail era. However, those prices are now officially insane. With the sale of both cars and 5k on top, I'd probably be looking at a 996 911. The thing is, would I have that and always wish I had the earlier 911? I've not driven one (or even been a passenger in one), but will they blow me away? Do they feel that special? I'd hate to buy it and think that its less fun to drive than the GTi and not as pretty to look at as the bug. Also slightly concerned that maintenance would significantly step up from my two more basic classics.

So should I a) Man up and stick with what I've got. b) roll the dice and take the first step into Porsche ownership.

Over to the masses.....
Only you can answer that - but if it were me (with the benefit of having owned several 911s of all years) then I'd say "Yes, I'd be wishing I had an earlier version."

The 996 is a decent car, it's still a Porsche after all - but it's also the cheapest '911' for a reason too. They don't have the 'soul' of the earlier aircooled cars IMO. But equally, they're still a good car.

Ultimately budget will decide what you can buy - just buy the best you can.

As an aside, the Peugeot 205 will increase in value at a faster rate (percentage wise) than the 996 will. 205s aren't ever gonna be any cheaper than they are now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
TGASS
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post

As an aside, the Peugeot 205 will increase in value at a faster rate (percentage wise) than the 996 will. 205s aren't ever gonna be any cheaper than they are now.

Its a valid point. Its already done well for me. I bought it 14 years ago (where does time g?) for 600. Ok, I've done some work, but its now valued at 8000. However, my particular one is high miles (140,000) and I can't ever it see it being worth a great deal more. Could well be wrong - I usually am.
Old 17-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
misteralz
I'm not an addict... honest!

I live in the top left hand corner of the Netherlands. If I had to get down to Dubrovnik in a day I'd take the 996 without question. I'd be able to do the required stretch of Germany in about four hours, maybe less. If I had a few days to get there? It'd be the 205, quiet roads, sunroof open, stopping for coffee breaks in all the wee villages that turned up at around coffee break time. And I'd remember the journey forever. A 996 is a very efficient tool but it's got little soul compared to an aircooled Porsche, unless you're in a mega-money GT2/Turbo/etc. Do you want your fun car to be fun?
Old 17-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
TGASS
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteralz View Post
A 996 is a very efficient tool but it's got little soul compared to an aircooled Porsche, unless you're in a mega-money GT2/Turbo/etc. Do you want your fun car to be fun?
Hmmm. That's confirming my concern. Yes, fun car has to absolutely be fun. No I can't afford the GT2 / Turbo etc.
Old 17-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
misteralz
I'm not an addict... honest!

What's stopping you going out and trying some? Seriously, turn up to a Porsche shop in a clean 205, explain your rationale and I can't see you being turned away somehow. What's your budget? How willing are you to take money out of your mortgage to get into aircooled Porsche ownership? An IB is obviously out of reach from what you're saying, but what about a 964 targa? Sure, the Targa is uglier and considerably less loved on the island compared to the continent, but that means they're cheaper and being RHD less exportable.
Does it have to be a 911? What about a 912E? Or a 914-4 for oddball points?
Old 17-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
TGASS
Chat Slapper

I've seriously considered a 912E but your bigger point is the right one: I need to go and drive a few and make up my own mind. Targa is very much in the running and a 964 targa would be brilliant. Budget is up to 20k, however, so even a 964 targa is out of range at that. Mortgage discussions would be wife dependent (read unlikely to be a success).
Old 17-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
alfie the monster
Help! I'm trapped in here

There was a time when an impact bumper car was the cheapest 911 you could buy. There was also a time when a 964 was the cheapest 911 you could buy....

I have an early 996 and love it. Sure the interior isn't the nicest to look at amd it's not as solidly put together as a 993 but i didn't buy it for that. I bought it as it's great fun to drive

I sold my Beetle as it spent more time off the road than on it, my other half didn't really like it and race harnesses don't work very well with kiddie seats. I can fit the both kids in the back (2 and 6 years old) and my wife up front. I often grab the keys for it if it's just me and one or both of the kids over a fully expensed new Merc. I've done about 5000 miles since December. Or to put it another way 4 years of Beetle mileage
alfie the monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Lazy Bug'er
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

The perceived ugliness and not exceptional build quality is a gift, they are still (maybe not for long) affordable.

Crazy thing is I remember a friend buying a very late seventies or early eighties rhd 911SC for 7k in 2003, it was immaculate.
Old 17-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
alfie the monster
Help! I'm trapped in here

Looks are subjective, I quite like the early cars. They don't seem to rust, but you can tell budgets were cut underneath with the qulity of some of the bolts and fixings. My chap waxoils everything he takes apart and refits to make things easier in the future.

Prices are rising, I don't think they'll reach air cooled levels for a long time. Which is good as it means I can still do this without be too worried

Thinking about going to Spa next year with a friend and his Manthey GT3
alfie the monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread