Swapping phone contact details to a new phone. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales
 


     
 

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Multimedia Forum

Multimedia Forum Computer, IT, Browser, Online, TV, Radio, Film, Smartphone & Technology Questions & Discussion. Any questions or discussion relating to computers, browsers, technology, software, smartphones, smart home appliances, smart TV, Radio, Films, Netflix/video set up, Publications/Magazines, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Ebay, Paypal and even TV shows and games, XBox etc - please ask in here. Eventually we should build a helpful database of answers to many regular IT and broadcast questions.

Reply Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 14,452
Default Swapping phone contact details to a new phone.

Right, let's start with, I'm a bit thick regarding technology.

I've got a new phone, it's been sat in the box for a week, because I lose the will to live just thinking about swapping over. Today looks like the day I'm going to have to swap over.

Both phones are Samsung.

The SIM card doesn't swap over.

It says to text a serial number for my new SIM card, from my old phone and everything will magically work. I'm fine with this.

Before I do this, I need to back up all my photos and numbers, as they won't move. I can manage to get all my photos onto a computer. I'm guessing I can probably transfer them to my new phone from there if required.

Phone contacts - How do I back them up? Am I going to end up writing them all down onto paper, then adding them to the new phone? Will they just stay on my old phone and I can look them up and add them at leisure?

Thanks.

*I'm fully aware this isn't going to tax the brains of fourteen year olds across the land.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older


VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the middle of someone's 'story' . . . mostly
Posts: 124,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Right, let's start with, I'm a bit thick regarding technology.

I've got a new phone, it's been sat in the box for a week, because I lose the will to live just thinking about swapping over. Today looks like the day I'm going to have to swap over.

Both phones are Samsung.

The SIM card doesn't swap over.

It says to text a serial number for my new SIM card, from my old phone and everything will magically work. I'm fine with this.

Before I do this, I need to back up all my photos and numbers, as they won't move. I can manage to get all my photos onto a computer. I'm guessing I can probably transfer them to my new phone from there if required.

Phone contacts - How do I back them up? Am I going to end up writing them all down onto paper, then adding them to the new phone? Will they just stay on my old phone and I can look them up and add them at leisure?

Thanks.

*I'm fully aware this isn't going to tax the brains of fourteen year olds across the land.
I'm an Iphone user, so I'm not familiar with Samsung stuff . . .

I found this: https://www.apowersoft.com/samsung-c...o-samsung.html

Any good?

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Brian Burrows
Older


VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the middle of someone's 'story' . . . mostly
Posts: 124,997
Default

And this: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...oogle-account/

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 16-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!
 
GlenAnderson's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover
Posts: 6,066
Default

I can’t help; because Samsung.

I could have helped if you’d bought an iPhone (and were replacing an iPhone).

If you’d bought an iPhone you’d just have to plug the old one in to your iMac, sync it, then plug the new one in and sync that.

__________________
My worst worry about dying is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her it cost...
GlenAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 14,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
That might do it. I'll get one of the kids to try it later on for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I can’t help; because Samsung.

I could have helped if you’d bought an iPhone (and were replacing an iPhone).

If you’d bought an iPhone you’d just have to plug the old one in to your iMac, sync it, then plug the new one in and sync that.

My mate was showing me that on his iPhone...…...his battery ran out halfway through.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 14,452
Default

…...what do you do if you haven't got an iMac?
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Brian Burrows
Older


VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the middle of someone's 'story' . . . mostly
Posts: 124,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post



My mate was showing me that on his iPhone...…...his battery ran out halfway through.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!
 
GlenAnderson's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dover
Posts: 6,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
My mate was showing me that on his iPhone...…...his battery ran out halfway through.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
…...what do you do if you haven't got an iMac?
No iDea.

__________________
My worst worry about dying is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her it cost...
GlenAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here
 
Sol Ford's Avatar

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Prestwich/Manchester.
Posts: 14,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post



No iDea.


You should copyright that.

If the communications industry doesn't want it, there's always Swedish furnishing companies.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Brian Burrows
Older


VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the middle of someone's 'story' . . . mostly
Posts: 124,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
No iDea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post


You should copyright that.

If the communications industry doesn't want it, there's always Swedish furnishing companies.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Disclaimer: For recreational purposes only, some assembly required. Any resemblance to real persons,
living or dead is purely intentional and the site admins are not responsible for direct, indirect,
incidental or consequential ridicule resulting from any defect or failure to perform. No animals
were harmed in the creation of this forum. Colours may fade over time. No other warranty expressed or implied.

volkszone.com

SupportingSupporting Brad's Cancer Foundation

 











 
© Volkszone • Terms and Conditions of use