Summer Tyres, Winter Tyres, All Season Tyres? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Bugsy_Malone 666
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Default Summer Tyres, Winter Tyres, All Season Tyres?

So my mk7 golf needs some new rubber up front, the wheels I have are some Audi 9" wide beasts which have had 225/40 R18s fitted, I got the wheels like it but now the fronts are down I have 2 choices, get some different wheels and fit the really good back tyres and some new fronts, or just new fronts for now.

Normally I opt for 'summer tyres' as we dont have long harsh winters in the uk, just the odd day where its wet/cold it seems (unless you live in Scotland of course!), but recently after almost rear ending the car in front on the motorway (you know suddenly the outside lane is stopped even though the rest of the motorway is moving) I felt the front end sh*t a bit of a brick and lose traction and I wasnt 100% sure if it was low tread or tyre type. It was a colder day and the road was dryish, I have been wondering if some of the salt they spread has been making it slippy too.

This all got me thinking should I use my 'stock' alloys and get some winter tyres so I have 'winter wheels' or an email that came through from mytyres (who I've bought loads of tyres from in the past) said about all season tyres. I wondered what peoples experiences were of winter/all seasons tyres, compared to summer tyres?

I understand winter tyres in snow make a huge different compared to summer tyres, but how do all seasons tyres stack up? Also how do they compare in the summer traction wise?

I figured I could get a pair of all seasons for the front as thats where the weight/braking/steering is might improve the car a bit.

Views/opinions welcome, just trying to weigh up buying some tyres and done want to spend twice if that makes sense.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
So my mk7 golf needs some new rubber up front, the wheels I have are some Audi 9" wide beasts which have had 225/40 R18s fitted, I got the wheels like it but now the fronts are down I have 2 choices, get some different wheels and fit the really good back tyres and some new fronts, or just new fronts for now.

Normally I opt for 'summer tyres' as we dont have long harsh winters in the uk, just the odd day where its wet/cold it seems (unless you live in Scotland of course!), but recently after almost rear ending the car in front on the motorway (you know suddenly the outside lane is stopped even though the rest of the motorway is moving) I felt the front end sh*t a bit of a brick and lose traction and I wasnt 100% sure if it was low tread or tyre type. It was a colder day and the road was dryish, I have been wondering if some of the salt they spread has been making it slippy too.

This all got me thinking should I use my 'stock' alloys and get some winter tyres so I have 'winter wheels' or an email that came through from mytyres (who I've bought loads of tyres from in the past) said about all season tyres. I wondered what peoples experiences were of winter/all seasons tyres, compared to summer tyres?

I understand winter tyres in snow make a huge different compared to summer tyres, but how do all seasons tyres stack up? Also how do they compare in the summer traction wise?

I figured I could get a pair of all seasons for the front as thats where the weight/braking/steering is might improve the car a bit.

Views/opinions welcome, just trying to weigh up buying some tyres and done want to spend twice if that makes sense.
I usually opt for 'All Season' tyres dude.

As you say - winter tyres are good in snow and ice, but the UK tends to only get a month's worth of that kind of weather (and some years none.)

Good tyres (whatever 'season') are important though. They're the only part(s) of the car in contact with the road. I always check tyre pressures too.

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Bugsy_Malone 666

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
I usually opt for 'All Season' tyres dude.

As you say - winter tyres are good in snow and ice, but the UK tends to only get a month's worth of that kind of weather (and some years none.)

Good tyres (whatever 'season') are important though. They're the only part(s) of the car in contact with the road. I always check tyre pressures too.

Funny thing is I dont check the pressure all that often, as when I did have a habbit of doing it on the golf it never changed month to month/year to year. My T4 on the other hand where it sits for weeks at a time, I tend to check it everytime I fill up with petrol because I always find they have gone down just a few PSI, even one that we had the tyre off cleaned the rim new valve and everything!

Its only the cars that sit I have ever had issues with.

All seasons arent massively more expensive in the scheme of things, but be interested to see how people have found them chalk up against other types, who knows it could literally be life changing for me!

Old 28-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
Dave Dorson

Trading feedback: (4)

All season tyres are what I'd go for mate, on the wheels you want on the car.

You live in the UK, we can get all four seasons in a single journey to the next town.
Old 28-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

Personally, I’d get a complete set of winter tyres, on an inexpensive set of rims. That keeps your good rims off the road in the salty season. Winter tyres outperform summer ones once the temperatures drop below about 7C, and are better on wet or icy roads too; it doesn’t need to be snowing to see a big difference.
Old 28-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Bugsy_Malone 666

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
All season tyres are what I'd go for mate, on the wheels you want on the car.

You live in the UK, we can get all four seasons in a single journey to the next town.
Thats true!

I keep changing my mind on what wheels I should have on my car mind, currently this is the wheels:

Audi TTRS 18x9, they seem to be quite rare and on full full lock sometimes I can just get them to touch the steering arms lol

mine have very slight kerb rash and could do with refinishing, the story of most wheels I own! Rims need a refurb, also tyres are old and buggered!

Old 28-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Dave Dorson

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
Thats true!

I keep changing my mind on what wheels I should have on my car mind, currently this is the wheels:

Audi TTRS 18x9, they seem to be quite rare and on full full lock sometimes I can just get them to touch the steering arms lol

mine have very slight kerb rash and could do with refinishing, the story of most wheels I own! Rims need a refurb, also tyres are old and buggered!
I bought another set of 18's for the Mondeo on Saturday because they were cheap.

I've now got two full size spare ST wheels, a spare wheel, the wheels on the car, and a set of Zetec S wheels.

I'll make the ZS one's my winters I should think.

And keep the other two painted plain silver in case I damage a wheel and need a full size wheel as a spare

I also found a set of dismantled BBS split rims that I forgot I owned, that I need to polish the barrels and re-assemble then sell, 4x100 so don't fit anything I own.

I've also got a spare set of golf MK5 steelies without rubber if you wanted them for winter bangers mate.
Old 28-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

You should never expect a summer tyre that wide to cut through and make decent contact with the road on a small car in anything but perfect conditions. Oh, and keep your distance...