New Top Gear - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Multimedia Forum

Multimedia Forum Computer, IT, Browser, Online, TV, Radio, Film, Smartphone & Technology Questions & Discussion. Any questions or discussion relating to computers, browsers, technology, software, smartphones, smart home appliances, smart TV, Radio, Films, Netflix/video set up, Publications/Magazines, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Ebay, Paypal and even TV shows and games, XBox etc - please ask in here. Eventually we should build a helpful database of answers to many regular IT and broadcast questions.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 24-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post

Electric cars though... the future.
Yes, yes they are Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!
Old 24-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #22
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

I really enjoyed last nights one.
Old 24-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smull View Post
Enjoyed it again, dare I say more than I ever enjoyed Clarkson, May & that little bloke thoroughly entertaining! Long may it continue
I couldn't agree more!
Still has a bit of the silly tongue and cheek humour, but it doesn't take over.

Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 24-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

Quote:
Me too.
They genuinely look like they're enjoying it/having a laugh.
They do, I thought the p*ss taking about Freddie not being able to deal with words and numbers at the same time was class

Quote:
Electric cars though... the future.
After spending a day driving a Jag I-Pace at Oulton Park (on roads, track and handling circuit) I have to say my mind was changed on electric cars. I'll always favour petrol engined cars (primarily classics) for fun driving but for everyday I'd be more than happy with electric based on my experiences with the Jag.

Unfortunately they're £60k + so it's not a dilemma I'm likely to have any time soon

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
Duble agent V.W.Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchfoot View Post
Yes, yes they are Will be hitting 80,000 electric miles this week!

Jeez, that kind of milage in a week? That must be one huge motherfooker of a battery you have!
Old 24-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #26
Duble agent V.W.Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Electric is the future, hopefully by the time we all have to convert it will be a lot cheaper and you can choose your own engine sound!

I want to make my Cortina to go "Merr Merr F'kin mrowwwwww!" like Postman Pat's van in the sweary YT video, that would be histerical, well to me it would.

Last edited by Duble agent V.W.Ford; 24-06-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Duble agent V.W.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Lol think it was like an angry BMC A series engine
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #28
clarkson

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Electric is the future
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.
Old 26-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #29
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.
Exactly, even something as simple as keeping things longer would benefit ( apart from designed obsolescence..). Who’s going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?

Re the presenters , I have had plenty laugh out loud moments each episode, haven’t had that for a long time. Need to drop the “guest stars” tho.
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #30
clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghan View Post
Who’s going to tell people they need to buy less , use the bus more etc though?
Plenty of people have told us there is no easy way out of this, no one wants to listen.