Where to go for a surf & sleep - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZI REGIONS, HOLIDAYS, TRIPS, NIGHTS OUT > South West

South West Campsites, Holidays, Days or Nights Out in the South West

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
True gritt
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Where to go for a surf & sleep

Taking my two young lads surfing in Cornwall anyone recommend a good beach for beginners without alot of rip and a local campsite thats ok thanks
True gritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
8vgtigirl
Chat Slapper

praa sands close to Penzance is nice, its a good sandy beach nice surfing conditions full life guard support, campsite is within walking distance although a bit of a hill, (take the dub!) nice size car park righ on the beach good cafe for ice creams etc. the campsite is call something like praa sands campsite imaginative eh!

Sennen is also good but surfing probably not so good for beginners and its a bit in well boring for youngsters tbh

Gwithian bit of a stone beach but sometimes has a bad rip and its such a long beach the life guard cover is stretched.

thats it for around my way Penzance area, oh of course there is always good old Newquay
8vgtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
BayCampersofCornwall
Chat Slapper

Default Surfing in cornwall

Praa sands is a great surfing beach but is alittle fickle. Ultimately for the best chance of surf I would go to the North Coast. Gwithian is my favourite beach with pretty consistent surf and a great campsite just by the beach (Churchtown farm).

If you don't ant to come so far west you could stay at Bude (only just cornwall). Loads of beaches and loads of surf. There is a greta campsite just outside bude but I cannot remember the name of it.

My place of choice would be near Harlyn and Constantine. You have a choice of loads of beaches including Constantine and booby's bay. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.constantinesurf.com/area/

Hope this helps

Richy
BayCampersofCornwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
True gritt
Chat Slapper

Thanks guys for the help if it was just me I would just park up and sleep in a street just a bit from coast but having kids that need a pee every minute and all that
True gritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
torpointboy
I'm not an addict... honest!

Porthtowan....No contest.....Great campsite, decent surf, bar and cafe on the beach.

My Favourite

Dove si urli, non c' vera conoscenza".
torpointboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
BayCampersofCornwall
Chat Slapper

Default Sennen

If you can be bothered trevedra campsite above sennen is my favourite. Almost guaranteed waves, great campsite and awesome countryside.
BayCampersofCornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Maftec
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Ill second Sennon, Long way down but well worth the trip. Surf is good, lifeguards on beach, nice family vibe. Harlyn Bay also very nice and safe. It,s a north facing beach so needs a big swell to go off. Constatine not so sure, not surfed it but looks a bit rocky (never seen it a low tide) and i think it's got some harsh rips. Also there is a lovely little break in St ives crystal clear water and looks good. See if you can get hold of a Storm Rider Guide, Fleabay may have one. Tells you all the good breaks and when they work and what if any to look out for if anything. Good luck and enjoy.
Maftec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Thenastiestnick
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayCampersofCornwall View Post
My place of choice would be near Harlyn and Constantine. You have a choice of loads of beaches including Constantine and booby's bay. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.constantinesurf.com/area/

Hope this helps

Richy
2nd this choice
Treyannon has a great camp site right on the beach.
The beaches all face in slightly different directions so you can make the most of the breaks, check out a shop called "the pit" on www. They do really good suit and board hire for a good price.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
vw geezer
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Have you ever been to Croyde bay? Its in Devon but a really good place to start out. Lots of camp sites around and one right on / near the beach. Its got to be one of my all time top places to surf. Good luck
vw geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
lukej
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (5)

and saunton is pretty cool if croyde is a bit busy.

ive just got back from surfing llangenith, freshwater west and newgale in the south of wales and it was awesome,
any surf thats hitting devon will be hitting wales too.
less touristy aswell
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread