Rush hour traffic!!!!!!! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Default Rush hour traffic!!!!!!!

I drive for a living, but luckily, I very rarely drive in rush hour and definitely not in a city. Today was an eye opener.

This morning I dropped No.2 child at a training course. On the way there, I was aware of all the oncoming headlights and the sense of dread came over me. I mentally ticked off all the short cuts and back streets as not worth it. It took me fifteen minutes to drop him off and just over seventy to get back home. Seventy minutes to drive seven miles. I can run it in less than that* and not break a sweat.

Is it always that bad?

*Admittedly, I couldn't run it carrying No.2 child.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
I drive for a living, but luckily, I very rarely drive in rush hour and definitely not in a city. Today was an eye opener.

This morning I dropped No.2 child at a training course. On the way there, I was aware of all the oncoming headlights and the sense of dread came over me. I mentally ticked off all the short cuts and back streets as not worth it. It took me fifteen minutes to drop him off and just over seventy to get back home. Seventy minutes to drive seven miles. I can run it in less than that* and not break a sweat.

Is it always that bad?

*Admittedly, I couldn't run it carrying No.2 child.
in certain areas yes
one of the reasons we left Stockport
pedalcarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
slim_adi

Trading feedback: (1)

You should live in Hebden and commute to huddersfield mate. (13 miles)
The morning drive isn’t too bad. I leave at 6am and it’s usually 30 minutes door to door.
Coming home at 4, on a good day is just over an hour, on an average day it’s about 80 minutes and on a bad day it can be 2 hours.
Flood alleviation scheme being the reason
Old 22-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
Clem

Trading feedback: (0)

Yeah, I almost never drive to work and when I ‘have’ to I instantly regret it. Awful.
Old 22-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_adi View Post
You should live in Hebden and commute to huddersfield mate. (13 miles)
The morning drive isnít too bad. I leave at 6am and itís usually 30 minutes door to door.
Coming home at 4, on a good day is just over an hour, on an average day itís about 80 minutes and on a bad day it can be 2 hours.
Flood alleviation scheme being the reason
Ah, the Mytholmroyd roadworks. How I don't envy you. My parents live in Tod and my dad has to go to Halifax hospital on regular basis.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Lead Foot Lucy
Chat Slapper

Each morning I have to do site visits as part of my job. This morning was a bad one for me. Due to needing to be there when the staff I manage were also there meant I was on the road when lots of others were too, and it was across the opposite side of town to where I live. I got caught in works traffic and the school run. Over half an hour to do 4 miles, in amongst those who are lost or impatient and don't care about safety. I shall be using public transport for the second part of my split shift today.
Lead Foot Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Duble agent V.W.Ford

Your first post sounds like a Top Gear challenge.
The producers want us to drive 7 miles in 70 mins, I can run faster.
Today I have to face an even greater challenge. Take the wife to visit her mother. It's only about 3 miles or so away but that's not the problem it's just the Mother in Law, her partner plus the Sister in Law will be visiting as well. Oh happy days.

Last edited by Duble agent V.W.Ford; 22-01-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Duble agent V.W.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Seriously? Try this.

Here in Suffolk we have the biggest container port in Europe, and all of that traffic has to use an ‘A’ class road because Suffolk doesn’t have a single mile of motorway.

When that traffic, (and there is an unbelievable volume of it) goes past IPSWICH it crosses the river Orwell as that is the only route.

Yesterday, for the 3rd time so far this year the bridge had to close because of an RTI.

People were stuck for 5 hours in a gridlock situation that totally paralysed every single road for about 10 Square miles of Suffolk.

It has to be seen to be believed.

Most folk, like myself - just take a day off work because it just isn’t worth going out onto the roads.

It beggars belief that in a so called ‘developed country’ this situation happens time and time again.

The cost of upgrading road and rail infrastructure is huge, but must be minuscule when compared to the money that is actually lost by tens of thousands of individuals throughout this region.
Combine that with the extra losses suffered by haulage companies and associated businesses and I cannot believe how this situation can continue to be ignored.

The people that are empowered to sort this out really are Wanktards of the first order.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post

Here in Suffolk
Quote:

It beggars belief that in a so called Ďdeveloped countryí this situation happens time and time again.
Tempting. Very, very tempting

Quote:

The cost of upgrading road and rail infrastructure is huge, but must be minuscule when compared to the money that is wasted on HS2
Fix it.
Old 22-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Tempting. Very, very tempting

Fix it.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote