Well, those of you that followed my Beetle build thread will know that I like things to be 'perfect', shiny and nice. This Ghia is the complete opposite, but it still pulls on my heart strings and has done as long as I've known it.
It was imported from Cali by a good friend in 2008. He did all the work it needed to get it on the road and nothing else. I.E. It still looks and smells like it should be in a field, despite being sound as a pound.
Here's a few shots of it over the past few years:
The day it arrived:
The chassis needed some work so the body / pan were split:
And the chassis got a full overhaul:
Note: it's now running a 4" beam with shock towers....
Body went back on:
And pretty much how it is now:
When I picked it up (last July), I jumped in it and drove it 250 miles of the 256 mile journey home before it conked out... It was a roasting hot day and it has spluttered a few times over the past hour or so. Actually it cut out three or four times and I'd have to give it five minutes before it would start again.
My thoughts were that it was fuel starvation / lock, but fuel was coming through. I think it was a duff coil. Anyway, after a few stops and plenty of cranking to get it going each time the starter motor stopped turning over. I wasn't sure if the battery was dying or the starter motor had packed up (It's a 6v starter but the car is running on 12v).
Anyway, got the AA dude out, we got it up and running and I drove the last few miles to the storage garage, where I then left it until yesterday. It's now on my driveway at home.
The plan was
to do another full resto on it, but the reality is that if I start doing that I'll never get to drive the car (it'll take me at least 10 years to do). Combine that with having just moved house, it would all just be too much.
So now the plan is to do a few bits to make it 100% drivable /usable again (after having been laid up) and to use it and enjoy it.
As such, the current plans are:
- New O/S rear hub seal
- New rear brake shoes
- Transmission oil change
- Drop the engine and give it a good service / sort out the tinware
- New starter motor
- Fit an OG lowlight air filter
- New R9 fuel lines
- Replace the exhaust with a stock style stainless one
Hopefully I'm going to get that done over the weekend, but let's see how far I get!
I'd also like to replace all of the window / door seals to make it water-tight.
I'd like a 30hp motor for it, but might end up putting the 1300 from the bug in it and putting something bigger in that. I also need a set of door locks... The shopping list could go on forever though