Volkszone Forum banner

ghia project

13K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Californian Classics 
#1 · (Edited)
major work required.

pans were rotten

heater channels were rotten and parched and bodged

body was pretty much rotten

I have collected most of the bits I need now and made a start.

Unconventionally may bee but with little reference to anything original I took some alignment queues from the spine and napoleon hats which were all solid . I bolted on the new heater channels and trimmed the floor pans to fit .. evertything bolted up fine... I dropped on the remains of the body, which appeared to locate in areas of the outer sill that indicated things were in the ball park.. So I collected my second hand California doors and fitted them .well tried to fit the passenger ( right side ) door... NO CHANCE Houston we have a problem... there are significant bady alighnment issues..

the heater channels were rotten and broken before I got to it so did my best but there is trouble ahead...

anyone any ideas to assist re alighnment?

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Wood

View attachment 166881

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

See less See more
#3 ·
looking at it today and pushing and pulling in various directions, I found that shoveing the roof upward closed the gao at the top of the B post and opened id at the bottom, This was the direction I needed them to go so looks like the body has sagged having say around in bits for years ...

#4 ·
sussed it, with the front inner wing being out, the dash had dropped putting strain on the A post and metal supports.. easy option was to cut out the supports, I don't think they are really required now the body is located on the pan. With the body loose and the doors on the dash pulled up into its natural position and the doors and A/B posts both lived up with a 4mm gap down the B post. So now its all shored up in that position ready for the NOS inner wing to be fitted. That will take the strain of the dash and keep everything in line .. It took a little working out but as soon as the metal supports were removed it was a breeze.

#11 ·
Thought about selling due to other commitments ( car projects ) but couldnt get a sniff at £3k despite there being around £5k in new panels and parts ( £1000 for nos rear quarter alone :( ) but since then, decided to hang onto it and do wee bits to tie it together .. was planning to put it back on the road with zero filler and brushed on bonda primer..

#12 ·
Good luck with this. I am just about to cut out the floor pans. Upon removing the body shell, I have found various holes that will need doing (like around the window bottoms front and back) and I am now looking for any doner car that has similar shaped windows for the body cut.

I do have a beetle roof section that may end up donating its window corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.