Safety Issues - Please read and add your own experiences - Page 5 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #41
Fireflybuzzbuzz
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

I use the grinder a lot, and i mean a lot. To the extent that the last set of brushes in my old grinder lasted 2 months.

For me, the biggest risk by a long long way is tiredness. I now always make sure i move onto something less involved once i notice it creeping in, that 'something' usually tends to be sitting and staring at the car for an hour working out how to do the next few bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris y View Post
My worst experience with one was it catching my shirt, within a tiny fraction of a second it had knotted my shirt into a tourniquet and slammed into my chest before stopping. It hurt a lot and my chest was badly bruised, those things need so much respect, so much so I have to wonder if they are worth the risk.
I had one similar, lopping through the front bulkhead/footwell of my beetle with a .9mm slitting disk, must have caught something between the two skins and deflected the disk. The disk 'shattered' but held together with the webbing, the force of it jamming ripped the grinder out of both hands and drove it into my shoulder, the grinder eventually stalled after eating half my shirt, which blew the fuse. Managed to get away from that with a few nasty scratches from what was left of the disk, not very deep but i still have a decent scar from it, and a football sized hole in my shirt.

Now i have a strong grip, i was holding it with two hands, one on the removable peg-handle-thing, the grinder was one of the lowest powered on the market, and it still tore out of my hand like it was nothing. Scary stuff.

Interestingly though, i've had no problems with my much more powerful dewalt grinders, they're 1010w (the one that did my shoulder in was 720w), and whilst they do have slightly better grip i attribute the reduced 'kicking' to them being more powerful, they seem to just power through any snagging and get back to free spinning almost instantly. I've caught corners of 2mm thick steel with the knott brush and it's bent the corner of the steel over before i've noticed it even trying to pull out of my hands.

If anyone is in the market for a new grinder, i'd highly recommend the 'DeWalt DWE4206-GB', i've got two of them.
Fireflybuzzbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #42
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

I never used to take it seriously.

Now I don't tend to keep any tools at the house, except hand tools for doing the odd bit of DIY or stuff in the garden, and a set of goggles, gloves and ear defenders.

My workshop is full of PPE though, because I make a ton of noise in there, there's hot stuff floating around, and I cut things. I do need some proper welding PPE though. I've got a mask and some gauntlets, but I really need leather aprons and stuff.

Sarah's taken a few hot metal slugs out my back before now when I've done a sill replacement and something's gone down my back and I've just shrugged it off, then noticed it as I remove my T Shirt to get in the shower.. That's a proper ouchy at times, I tell you.
Dave Dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #43
thirteen-o-two
ready for the off....

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
I never used to take it seriously.

My workshop is full of PPE though, because I make a ton of noise in there, there's hot stuff floating around, and I cut things. I do need some proper welding PPE though. I've got a mask and some gauntlets, but I really need leather aprons and stuff.

Sarah's taken a few hot metal slugs out my back before now when I've done a sill replacement and something's gone down my back and I've just shrugged it off, then noticed it as I remove my T Shirt to get in the shower.. That's a proper ouchy at times, I tell you.
I set fire to a tee shirt(whilst wearing it) once whilst cutting a suspension top off a stubborn strut
thirteen-o-two is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #44
Dave Dorson

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen-o-two View Post
I set fire to a tee shirt(whilst wearing it) once whilst cutting a suspension top off a stubborn strut
I once set fire to my hair welding a car up. As some will know I used to have a LOT of hair so I managed to hide it well.
Dave Dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #45
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen-o-two View Post
Darwinism in action !!
Old 21-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #46
rowlesy
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

i did this at work with a grinder a few years ago. had all the ppe on! caught on the corner of work peice and snached out my hands. the damage came from the body of the grinder smashing my face and my jaw / teeth doing the rest! blind panic after it happened as there was blood everywhere! and the pain....... then it got 10x worse at a&e having 60 odd stitches inside and outside my mouth! still makes me wince now thinking about it. luckiy i guess it wasnt the spinney end!

rowlesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #47
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlesy View Post
i did this at work with a grinder a few years ago. had all the ppe on! caught on the corner of work peice and snached out my hands. the damage came from the body of the grinder smashing my face and my jaw / teeth doing the rest! blind panic after it happened as there was blood everywhere! and the pain....... then it got 10x worse at a&e having 60 odd stitches inside and outside my mouth! still makes me wince now thinking about it. luckiy i guess it wasnt the spinney end!

Ouch.

Mate of mine got a similar injury off a grinder while cutting up a fibreglass boat.

It seems that grinders are a mighty dangerous beast.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #48
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris y View Post

My worst experience with one was it catching my shirt, within a tiny fraction of a second it had knotted my shirt into a tourniquet and slammed into my chest before stopping. It hurt a lot and my chest was badly bruised, those things need so much respect, so much so I have to wonder if they are worth the risk.
+1 although it caught my jumper. Nasty graze and huge bruise. Today it was a small wire brush on a drill cleaning up a couple of small parts. Brush caught glove (only light gloves ) wrapped round and am now sporting some grazed and cut skin and a bit of bruising. It's a good job I'm stupid, otherwise I might realise this car repair stuff can get dangerous! Suffice to say, work was completed using clamps and bench to hold the parts, rather than holding them in my hand.

Agree with some of the other comments, grinders terrify me.
Fuchs915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #49
Orby1
Saddest VZi'er 2019

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyRacing View Post
Seiko SKX007, Bill?

www.wolfsburgweedhuggers.co.uk/
Orby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #50
Triplefive F
Chat Slapper

Default Ooooooouuuuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post

Ouch.

Mate of mine got a similar injury off a grinder while cutting up a fibreglass boat.

It seems that grinders are a mighty dangerous beast.
Suggest that anyone who uses a Grinder prints this photo
off and pins it up on the wall in their garage ( workplace ) -
Just might make you stop and think about your next bit of work ...........
Triplefive F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread