commercial vehicles as a camper - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
slim_adi
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Default commercial vehicles as a camper

i have a bit of a dream of buying an old commercial / ex military vehicle, building a camping pod on the back of it and going partially off grid for a portion of the year.
how feasible / usable would an old MAN G90 or Leyland Daf 45 or other be as a reasonable vehicle to travel in - i'm thinking just explore the UK for a couple of months at a time while still keeping our house as a return base.
bear in mind i have only limited mechanical experience, but am very willing to learn more.
i have the correct licence categories for up to 7.5 ton on my licence.

please put me off these mad thoughts and point me in the direction of a LWB high top T5 (which is what i'll probably end up getting and go camping regularly as opposed to spending months away)
Old 21-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
themanwiththestick
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Have a look at what Jed has built over at CampervanCulture.com, there's lot's of his videos on YouTube.

Last edited by themanwiththestick; 21-01-2020 at 02:21 PM..
themanwiththestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

You should do it!

A few years ago, I met a couple who had two toddlers and a baby, they travelled round all the small summer festivals in an Iveco van. It had a wood burner, a four ring cooker, a double bed, two single bunks and they hung the baby's crib from the roof. I'd look at an LT, with only two of you, there would be plenty of room.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Plus, if you only eat beans on toast, you'd only need a single burner hob.
Old 21-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
slim_adi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Plus, if you only eat beans on toast, you'd only need a single burner hob.
😂😂😂

Beautiful Days festival last year really got my juices flowing. There was a cracking ex military truck with a camping box and a couple of converted horses boxes.
I know wed get on with / enjoy the life - we get off in the T5 any chance we can - it was more the practicalities of an older commercial vehicle.
I will be trawling the web more and more but its stuff like the yearly playing / MOT, would it be on a tacho ? Stuff like that
Old 21-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
slim_adi

An LT would be on the list too too be honest. There used to be an LT28 at the top of the hill above us and i always used to walk past it with my want face on
Old 21-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

I'm a bit sketchy on private use tachos, so don't take what follows as gospel.

A private owner, for private use doesn't need a tacho. A private owner for commercial use does. A company owner for commercial use does.

Using horseboxes as an example. If I move my horse in my privately owned wagon, I don't need one. If I move your horse in my privately owned wagon, I do. There maybe something about commercial gain thrown in.

I think there maybe a built before/after date in the mix too.

Even if you have a tacho in the cab, you're unlikely to exceed the daily driving hours, unless you're some sort of mentalist who enjoys wrestling an old military vehicle about for over ten hours a day. You will need to get it calibrated though.
Old 21-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_adi View Post
An LT would be on the list too too be honest. There used to be an LT28 at the top of the hill above us and i always used to walk past it with my want face on
I've driven past that LT, I had designs on it too.
Old 21-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
slim_adi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
I've driven past that LT, I had designs on it too.
OI gerroff !! I saw it first :P
Old 21-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_adi View Post
OI gerroff !! I saw it first :P
now kids play nice
pedalcarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread