Engine What can cause the oil level to go up in a Diesel engined car? - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
>DEL<
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (22)

Thanks for the time taken to reply. It is most educational. Would the Amber warning light not come on to say ďtake the car for a run to clear
the DPFĒ ? (It didnít in this case).

Whenever it does come on (not that often) she takes a car for a run up the nearest dual carriageway and it clears it off.
>DEL< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
Mooresy
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Can't speak for the VW system as I haven't owned a VW with DPF. With the Jag, the light only comes on to warn you it is full. This is no confirmation or notification of a regeneration (phew). Regens should happen prior to the light coming on. ie the light should not come on. You can kind of sense a regen is taking place in the Jag as it revs a bit higher on tick-over and the auto box 'snatches' a bit on changes, on getting out you can smell what I would say was burning rubber coming from under the car (smell of a regen and soot etc) and feel the heat/hear it clinking as it cools down.
I really recommend putting a quality cleaner through DPF every 10,000. As I mentioned, mine has been fine since.
Mooresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
>DEL<

Thanks again. Most interesting to learn about this.

Iíve read before about diesel runaway and read the horror stories too.

The mechanic said was words to the effect that what happens is that it burns off its own oil until there is none left and the engine has melted.

He said that the reason it revved itís pants off is that the oil level being so high was sucking fuel up without anyone accelerating and this is why is revved up so high and luckily she turned the key off straight away and lucky that it actually cut the engine as often it wonít kill it unless you stall it.

So far still so good by the way. I will check the oil level next i see her in person.

Old 14-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #14
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

High engine level is caused by the engine oil being diluted by diesel fuel. This happens by too frequent DPF regeneration or engine management control defects. As mentioned before this could also be a result of the dpf being partially blocked.
I donít know how effective these dpf cleaners are but itís probably worth trying to see if it improves the oil dilation.
How many miles has the Polo done? Generally speaking a DPF should last over 100k but this all depends on the condition of the engine, driving style & drive cycles. Too short a driving distance will cause too frequent regeneration.
A decent diagnostic tool that can read live data including regeneration history should help determine the cause.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
>DEL<

All the stuff you are saying measures up against the car not doing particularly long runs. (Which I know is a no-no for modern diesels).

Current mileage is 78k roughly

The car is mainly used for relatively short commutes and drop the kids and pick them from school on the way. I canít imagine any of these journeys are ever more than half an hour and they are always short urban stop start journeys I bet the car never even gets into 5th gear.
Old 15-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #16
Mooresy
Chat Slapper

There is a lot of talk about whether (or not) DPF cleaners (or multi system cleaners work). From my experience, quality cleaners certainly do no harm.
My everyday driver is an MG ZT with the BMW (Booo) M47 diesel engine, Probably one of the better diesel engines of modern times. Its now done just shy of 210,000 miles in total of which 125,000 have been put on by me in 9 years of ownership, that's not motorway miles, but pretty shitty stop start stuff.
Its certainly not pampered and only gets a wash every 18 months or so. Mechanically, its spot on, The engine oil and filter is changed every 10,000, it has a K&N filter that is cleaned every two years.The EGR was blanked with a dummy as soon as I purchased the car in order to stop the intake manifold from becoming gunged up. Coolant changed twice (roughly every 5 years) and the auto box ATF changed every 50,000. All is sweet. Lastly every 6 months I put a quality injection cleaner through, no it doesn't have a DPF but a quality multi cleaner will clean the turbo (to some extent) and the injectors etc.
All the fuel that I have ever put in it has been from branded ESSO and Texaco fuel stations.

Now in contrast. I have a friend who had the same car, Ran a standard air filter (probably doesn't make any difference) had the EGR still fitted, filled up with supermarket fuel, religiously. didn't believe in injection cleaners, At 84,000 he had to have all, the injectors replaced. Now maybe there were multiple contributing factors, some influencing the life of the injectors more than others, but I suppose my point is, for the cost. what have you to loose putting a cleaner through your injectors (and DPF) etc every 6 or 12 months. It really does no harm. at worst it would do little or nothing. But on saying that. I have monitored mileage for a number of years in my trip computer, and on putting a cleaner through, I swear I get an initial reduction of around 2 mpg. cant say how long this takes to tail-off, but it genuinely does for a number of weeks/months thereafter.

As I mentioned in previous posts in this tread. On buying my wife's Jag we had two consecutive oil contamination issues with failed registrations. I have done nothing other than put a cleaner through and its been fine now for 6 months. and 7,500 miles. Not long before it gets another dose at 10,000. What have you got to loose. £20.00 every 10,000, doesn't work out at a lot per mile. Worth bearing in mind, Quality cleaners will state that you should only treat every 10,000 miles and always in the dilution ratio recommended, Cheapo cleaners consist of mainly Paraffin so you can put as much through as you want, cos it probably does very little good anyway.

Last edited by Mooresy; 15-11-2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 18-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #17
>DEL<

I asked to see what fuel she uses. the car has only had shell fuel for the last three years under her ownership. Never used cheap supermarket fuel.

I have a question....
The mechanic said he drained all the oil out of the sump, and poured back in the correct amount according to the manual and the line on the dipstick.....

Does this mean that what he has actually poured back in is a mixture of oil and diesel?

How much actual diesel would the DPF regeneration thing chuck back into the engine then?

Is this in itself not potentially detrimental?
Old 18-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
Mooresy
Chat Slapper

I cant believe a competent mechanic would do such a thing?

The second time it happened to me in the Jag I called out the AA to drain a bit off till it came down to the correct level as were were on holiday and miles from home. The next day I booked into a local garage for an oil and filter change.
The problem is, the oil has been diluted (or contaminated) with diesel which has pretty much no lubrication properties so, its altered the oil specification if you like and thinned it, substantially by the sounds of it.
In Jags if you get 3 a failed regeneration's the oil service indicator will come on as a warning to change the oil and/or check the level.
It will certainly flush and clean the engine out, hence you should also change your filter as any sludge lurking in the recesses may be dislodged by the thinner 'flushing' oil. Unfortunately, the diluted oil can remove or strip the natural oil glazing from the bores and pistons, which may lead t accelerated wear.

No, the mechanic is seriously wrong in this case. It needs an oil and filter change and a good DPF cleaner in the tank followed by a good long drive/Italian tune.

Its also worth getting a diagnostic check to ensure that there are no fault codes related to the regen system, otherwise it will do it again.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=113648&page=3
Old 18-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #19
Mooresy
Chat Slapper

No such problems in the Ghia thankfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170529_133222.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	270961  
Old 18-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #20
>DEL<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresy View Post
I cant believe a competent mechanic would do such a thing?

The second time it happened to me in the Jag I called out the AA to drain a bit off till it came down to the correct level as were were on holiday and miles from home. The next day I booked into a local garage for an oil and filter change.
The problem is, the oil has been diluted (or contaminated) with diesel which has pretty much no lubrication properties so, its altered the oil specification if you like and thinned it, substantially by the sounds of it.
In Jags if you get 3 a failed regeneration's the oil service indicator will come on as a warning to change the oil and/or check the level.
It will certainly flush and clean the engine out, hence you should also change your filter as any sludge lurking in the recesses may be dislodged by the thinner 'flushing' oil. Unfortunately, the diluted oil can remove or strip the natural oil glazing from the bores and pistons, which may lead t accelerated wear.

No, the mechanic is seriously wrong in this case. It needs an oil and filter change and a good DPF cleaner in the tank followed by a good long drive/Italian tune.

Its also worth getting a diagnostic check to ensure that there are no fault codes related to the regen system, otherwise it will do it again.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=113648&page=3
Iím of the same opinion as you. Why the hell drain it out and just pour some of it back in? Why not just change it and and the filter?!

As I understand it.... said mechanic was convinced that it was just oil that came out but I just canít get my head around why youíd put the same oil back in.

Perhaps he had no idea about all the stuff mentioned above with the DPF regeneration situation etc.

I am going to recommend an oil and filter change for he polo ASAP.
Reply Post New Thread