Mk1 brake upgrade - how far to go? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > H20

H20 The watercooled scene is growing quickly in the UK - talk with other owners here. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum in Chat/Discussion) . . . and please don't use JUST to post links to other VW Forums/websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted. Forum available for sponsorship

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
artist
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Mk1 brake upgrade - how far to go?

I have an 82 Cabby 1800 auto (bigger,later engine), so it's not going to be driven all that sportingly, but it will tow a braked 600kg caravan, so it needs more than stock front brakes. As it is I find them pretty poor.

Option 1 - Master cylinder and servo from a 16V Golf - as written up on the MK1 forum, but on the standard discs.

Option 2 - As 1, but with 256 discs and Vauxhall calipers and carriers, but will have to shed the stock 13" wheels I think?

The question is how much of a step improvement is each option, and do I really need to go with option 2 for what I use the car for?
Old 14-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Phatman
Wannabe Chat Slut

I'd go for option two as it increases the friction area and reduces heat build up. I'd just upgrade to 256mm discs and see how you go first of all. You will need 14" wheels for the bigger calipers. Converting the rear drums to larger caddy (i.e. pickup) ones used to be a popular way of increasing the rear brakes on the old GTI's. Another modification was to the brake servo linkage, I think Autocaven(?) used to provide a kit to improve the leveridge to what is a LHD setup. I've experienced non ventilated discs on a Scirocco, I sailed straight through a red light with my foot hard on the brakes and similar with a Cordoba at the bottom of a hill!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
jamesousby
Chat Slapper

Location: devon,buckfastleigh(buckfast tonic might ring a bell)

mk2 servo and 22mm master cylinder is a must, im also running the 256mm vauxhall set up on my mk1 gti along with mk2 16v rear discs....think i payed less then 200 for the whole lot..then a weekend to swap it all over defo worth doing the lot!

Old 15-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Bugsy_Malone 666

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

bit curious about the vauxhaul calipers, mainly because im not a pure golf person, i have golfs and beetles and mix and match parts.

Mk3 golf gti ABS master cylinder is the biggest of the bunch with 23mm piston braking power, I run one of these on my camper with a GTi Servo. now the 23mm Master cylinder is also found on the VR6/various GTis.

Depending on your suspension struts depends on what you would fit. I know that some of the smaller golfs have a fixed caliper/pad mount which is part of the stub axle meaning you cant do masses i nthe way of calipers.

are you keen to keep 13" wheels? most mk3 golfs, diesels and estates came with 256mm vented front discs, and some had the 23mm M/S ABS, they had tow bars and would be fine, plus they were also heavier than your mk1 to start with and came with 13" wheels.

My prefernce for brake upgrades on any mk1/2/3 would be the use of G60 brakes but you need 15" wheels for those. 280mm front discs and big calipers (same as mk3 gti/VR6 i think or similar) and discs at the back.

I guess in my opinion if you were to just use a break system from a mk3 1.8 golf with 256mm front vented discs and drums at rear would be enough, after all if your towing one would think its not a race car and mk3s coped fine.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
artist

I'm going to upgrade the servo and m/c first, and see how that improves the braking. I'd prefer to keep the 13".
Old 16-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
GtCon
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Some 13" will fit. I have a cab running 256 on front retaining the 13" alloys. Will check the calipers but thought they were mk2 16v
GtCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
GTi Mad Man
I really must get out more

to be honest the mk1 standard brakes are good if well maintained (thios is rarely the case)
budget dependadnat id have the rear shoes off check for any oil leaks repalce shoes bearings drums springs (about 100 all in)
if sticking to 239mm maybe get some recon calipers new pads etc , but the big tip is change all the brake fluid as it loses its vicousisty over time

the 22mm master cyliner will give a firmer feel for sure whatever you do for about 26 by a brand new master cylinder
256mm will be very tight on 13" alloys

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
GTi Mad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
artist

It's a GLS with 13" stock steels - are they tighter or more spacious than 13" alloys? I can get hold of 13" spider alloys.
Old 21-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
nev
Chat Slapper

Default mk1 brakes

all the mk1s I've had (all GTIs) have had crap brakes, well maintained or not, the upgrade to Mk2 16v servo and master cylinder is a massive improvement, thats as far as I went with my last mk1 and it made driving the car feel alot less scary.
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
jimbo198966
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (5)

i brought some black diamond discs and pads from big boys toys, (vented, drilled and grooved dicsc...), need to stop quick as i've got a 160bhp engine going in
also just fitted the 16v servo and master cylinder upgrade, literally did it yesterday, so if you need any help, PM me dude very simple to do though
although i did it on myml1 caddy, not sure if theres any differnce
jimbo198966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread