Body Beetle rear 1/4s and engine bay mods - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
crispies
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Beetle rear 1/4s and engine bay mods

Need to replace both rear 1/4 bumper mount sections whilst engine is out is it a compete rear valance off repair, any tips....
Also have removed tatty old tar board what sound deadening ideas has anyone used, not too confident silent coat will stay put and not get sucked into fan. See tar board is still avaliable but how good is repro modern stuff......
crispies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Do not trust any aftermarket panels or parts to be the correct shape. Be prepared to have to re-work them if required. I have found Hooky's panels to be about the best.

Do not cut the car away to fit the repair panels, just cut the rotten bits from the car, leave the good stuff, then cut back the repair panels to fit. Keep as much original metal as possible. Overlaps will become future rust traps so try and butt weld wherever possible. I have found Intergrips to be really handy for doing this sort of work.

When lining up the rear end fit everything and make sure it all lines up right and looks good before you lay down any final welds. When I say everything, that means wings, engine tin (check the gaps for the rubber seal are good), bumper irons, bumper, engine lid etc. Cutting corners here can mean either more work in future (doing it twice) or having a car rear end that never looks quite right afterwards. (wonky bumpers, panel gaps out, tinware catching bodywork etc). Same goes for repairs on the front end.

If replacing the tar board with either original or aftermarket sound insulation, make sure the clips are in good shape and possibly fit your own if the stock tabs are broken. Tar board getting sucked in towards the fan intake has killed many an engine, so make sure it's a good solid fit to the firewall especially at that point.

Dave.

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 12-01-2020 at 01:30 AM..
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

snake baby name in english

Personally I'd make the valance removable. Engine swaps are a doddle then
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread