Electrics What wires do I need to repair engine fire 1303 1974 - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #21
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

ah damn, the light doesn't come on when I tapped the wire in the engine bay to the body. battery is good as the starter fires fine.

I'll have a real good look in better light and report back. Also appreciate I haven't answered the question on whether that wire goes through loom or is retro-fitted. Will report on that too in a day or two.
matthehatmcvitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #22
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Great news! - after retesting it, the light comes on when I tap that wire to earth. (the one from the front that's blue, that was spliced to a red wire under the seat to the engine bay. So I guess that line is good to go!?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #23
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Also just to confirm I did the same with the oil wire and the Oil light lit up when I tapped to earth.

So I've established:
Live to main post on alternator (thick red and white)
Alternator warning light wire (Red)
Oil pressure wire (green and red)
Live to coil (black)

see pic

But in the second pic what could these be (they were part of the same loom.
The green wire and the brown I know are the dead wires that I don't need any more as I will have internally regulated alternator.
But the thin black wire and the Grey with green stripes one, what would they be for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay wires - live and alternator.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	272837   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery engine bay wires.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	272839  

Old 04-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #24
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthehatmcvitie View Post
Great news! - after retesting it, the light comes on when I tap that wire to earth. (the one from the front that's blue, that was spliced to a red wire under the seat to the engine bay. So I guess that line is good to go!?

Yes, but should really be blue all the way through to the alternator, otherwise this could get extremely confusing for someone in the future. Use the red wire to pull a piece of blue wire through in it's place would be my next job.

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #25
matthehatmcvitie
Chat Slapper

Will do. Any ideas what those two mystery wires are for? (The Grey/green one and the thin black one)?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthehatmcvitie View Post
Also just to confirm I did the same with the oil wire and the Oil light lit up when I tapped to earth.

So I've established:
Live to main post on alternator (thick red and white)
Alternator warning light wire (Red)
Oil pressure wire (green and red)
Live to coil (black)

see pic

But in the second pic what could these be (they were part of the same loom.
The green wire and the brown I know are the dead wires that I don't need any more as I will have internally regulated alternator.
But the thin black wire and the Grey with green stripes one, what would they be for?
Wiring diagram for your car - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives...p113wiring.jpg
And the legend for it - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives...-up113-key.jpg

They might be US versions though - but as far as I can see the only grey with green stripe wire is associated with the dual cct brake light and / or the seat belt warning system. Does your car have such a setup ? TBH I have not come across them before.

For the engine to run you will need -

Black wire to power the ignition coil + terminal, and a black wire to piggyback from this to the fuel cutoff valve and the autochoke if you have a stock solex carb. Fed from the ignition switch.

Thick red & white wire from the alternator main post going back to the + side of the battery.

Blue wire from the spade terminal on the alternator going back to the alt warning light on the speedo.

Green wire with red stripe going from the oil pressure switch to the oil pressure warning light on the speedo.

Your engine block earths to the battery via contact with the gearbox, which earths back to the battery via earth straps across the rubber front nosecone mount and the earth strap between the floorpan and the battery - terminal.

Any other unknown wires I would temp insulate with electrical tape until you can prove that everything in the car that you need to work, works as it should. If something does not work then fault that part of the circuit separately.

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread