R7/R9 - Fuel Hose - IMPORTANT PLEASE L@@K! - Page 11 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 27-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #101
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3madman View Post
Forget R9, just fit Bio Fuel hose.

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.c...rol-2015-p.asp

I fitted this 4 years ago. Still perfect. It will withstand ethanol up to 100%.

My understanding is the problem with fuel lines, particularly for cars that are only used infrequently is the % of ethanol in the fuel rises when the vehicle is parked up for a while due to the natural evaporation of the petroleum in the fuel, leaving just the ethanol, so the concentration rises to above that which the fuel hose can handle. Therefore degrading the hose.
That is what I use now. I didn't get it from there, I got it from our local rolling road place. I have now replaced every component in the fuel system apart from the tank, for a modern ethanol safe version. I got hacked off with fuel hose lasting 12 months at best. On my Beetle I got through two fuel pumps in as many weeks.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #102
clarkson

After today my advise is take your stock style fuel pump and bin it. I have recently got a 1.9 T25, it runs essentially the same pump as a Type 1 engine. The engine had a new pump, made by Topran of Germany, it has done less than 5,000 miles.I have upgraded the carb to a Weber progressive and I exclusively run it on Super to avoid ethanol. I generally buy Super from Sainsburys. Two weeks ago they announced that all of their fuel is now E5. On Tuesday I was out in the Van and it randomly stalled, but immediately restarted. I thought nothing of it. I went to where my workshop is and parked the van. It wouldn't restart. So I checked the obvious. I was getting no fuel from the pump. I was intending to replace the fuel pump for an electric at some point. Today I removed the old pump and the pedestal was full of fuel. Luckily it didn't make it into the crankcase, but I changed the oil anyway.

Don't trust stock style pumps, even genuine VW ones. They are not suitable for ethanol fuels and could potentially kill your engine if they fail. This is the third fuel pump I have had do this.
Old 14-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #103
HairyYeti
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater 8 View Post
How heat resistant is it in case of engine fires?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
If you want fire retardant than ISO 7840 A1 Marine hose gives 2.1/2 minutes in a fire situation.

As far as I am aware SAE J30 R9 and other equivalent automotive hoses do not have being fire retardant on the data sheets. Not being on fire in the first place seems to be the way to go.
HairyYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #104
HairyYeti
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
After today my advise is take your stock style fuel pump and bin it. I have recently got a 1.9 T25, it runs essentially the same pump as a Type 1 engine. The engine had a new pump, made by Topran of Germany, it has done less than 5,000 miles.I have upgraded the carb to a Weber progressive and I exclusively run it on Super to avoid ethanol. I generally buy Super from Sainsburys. Two weeks ago they announced that all of their fuel is now E5. On Tuesday I was out in the Van and it randomly stalled, but immediately restarted. I thought nothing of it. I went to where my workshop is and parked the van. It wouldn't restart. So I checked the obvious. I was getting no fuel from the pump. I was intending to replace the fuel pump for an electric at some point. Today I removed the old pump and the pedestal was full of fuel. Luckily it didn't make it into the crankcase, but I changed the oil anyway.

Don't trust stock style pumps, even genuine VW ones. They are not suitable for ethanol fuels and could potentially kill your engine if they fail. This is the third fuel pump I have had do this.

The diaphragms seem to be suffering. My chainsaw just packed up as the accel pump diaphragm had turned brittle and split due to the ethanol in the petrol mix.

I'm looking up Viton diaphragm materials to see if we can make kits to upgrade stock pumps and carbs to a fully Ethanol tolerant spec.

We (volksbolts) already carry Viton O rings for Solex and Dellorto Carbs. We've had some PTFE banjo washers pressed out too for the DRLA.
HairyYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #105
flobber
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
After today my advise is take your stock style fuel pump and bin it. I have recently got a 1.9 T25, it runs essentially the same pump as a Type 1 engine. The engine had a new pump, made by Topran of Germany, it has done less than 5,000 miles.I have upgraded the carb to a Weber progressive and I exclusively run it on Super to avoid ethanol. I generally buy Super from Sainsburys. Two weeks ago they announced that all of their fuel is now E5.
I was looking into this around a year ago and whilst I only ever use Super because it still has less ethanol than regular the only fuel I could find that had no ethanol in it was Total's Super. No idea anymore except I had a quick look and found this interesting website:

https://armchairbiker.com/ethanol-in...-need-to-know/

Which suggests Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 is branded as ethanol free.
flobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #106
clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobber View Post
I was looking into this around a year ago and whilst I only ever use Super because it still has less ethanol than regular the only fuel I could find that had no ethanol in it was Total's Super. No idea anymore except I had a quick look and found this interesting website:

Which suggests Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 is branded as ethanol free.
The only source of ethanol free fuel I now know of is Shell. I have accepted that E5 is now across the board and it can't be avoided. But my van is now ethanol proof anyway.
Old 15-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #107
Skater 8
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobber View Post
...found this interesting website:

Interesting article. Viton hoses seem to be the way to go? Chemical and fire resistant.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Skater 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #108
clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyYeti View Post
The diaphragms seem to be suffering. My chainsaw just packed up as the accel pump diaphragm had turned brittle and split due to the ethanol in the petrol mix.

I'm looking up Viton diaphragm materials to see if we can make kits to upgrade stock pumps and carbs to a fully Ethanol tolerant spec.

We (volksbolts) already carry Viton O rings for Solex and Dellorto Carbs. We've had some PTFE banjo washers pressed out too for the DRLA.
A mate and I opened the pump up. The edges of the diaphragm had let go. My guess is that they use some sort of sealant/adhesive which had dissolved in the fuel.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #109
SHABBA66
Chat Slapper

Good morning all.
Iím replacing the fuel lines on my Beetle. What is the up to date & latest recommendations please.
Also where to get it from.
Thanks in advance.
Peter.
SHABBA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #110
SHABBA66
Chat Slapper

Bump
SHABBA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread