Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Volkszone Technical Difficulties

Volkszone Technical Difficulties Any issues and concerns with the Volkszone website, please post them here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubjunky View Post
I have just discovered when logging in again on my iPad for the first time that the system did not save my new password, I referred back to my 8 digit email code and tried that and it logged me in, marvellous!
AG - Any idea on this ^ please guys?
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

I share DarrenW's concerns about stuff getting sent out in plain text. I know that other places I've used give a temporary password that you MUST reset in order to re-activate your account. That seems a far better method that just emailing (which isn't secure) a password and username in the same email, in plain text.
Old 17-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #23
visa
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

This reeks of spin to me!

So a vulnerability in your system (the 3rd party vendor plugin, but still your system) was exploited by someone who then robbed all of your customers email addresses and password (that's us by the way).

I Assume that the system accounts are held in a separate database (or directory) to the forum accounts (this is normally considered best practice) and that the exploit via the plug in allowed the robbers system account access so they copy the contents of the forum database, yes?

So why are you increasing the complexity of the forum passwords because if the same thing happened again the thieves would still be able to copy our complex passwords?

To me it looks like AG are trying to make it look like they have improved security to deal with the problem when in actual fact the complexity of the forum passwords has nothing to do with how secure the system is, only how secure a forum members account is.
visa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #24
GBJB
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visa View Post
This reeks of spin to me!

So a vulnerability in your system (the 3rd party vendor plugin, but still your system) was exploited by someone who then robbed all of your customers email addresses and password (that's us by the way).

I Assume that the system accounts are held in a separate database (or directory) to the forum accounts (this is normally considered best practice) and that the exploit via the plug in allowed the robbers system account access so they copy the contents of the forum database, yes?

So why are you increasing the complexity of the forum passwords because if the same thing happened again the thieves would still be able to copy our complex passwords?

To me it looks like AG are trying to make it look like they have improved security to deal with the problem when in actual fact the complexity of the forum passwords has nothing to do with how secure the system is, only how secure a forum members account is.
Completely agree with all of this.
2010 T5 LWB Camper
2019 Golf R Wagon
GBJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #25
HelenaAG
VZ Editor

Trading feedback: (0)

Garage

Heya all,

Again sorry for all the confusion on this and extra work to reset a password.

We have outsourced the reset emails to another vendor to speed up the process and they should be much smoother and quicker now. The amount of emails, PMs, and posts we have to reply to is staggering so we are extremely backed up.

We have locked down the sites and updating your password will make sure you are not at risk.

Give us time and we will get back to you if you have a question. Unfortunately, I can not respond to every post in this thread ranging from anger, questions, etc.

Quick summary:
- Data was breached back in Feb from a plugin from another company (email, pass, some IP - that is all)
- The data was not used or made public until earlier this week (when we found out about it)
- We have locked down sites and requested all user update passwords
- Just click the link in the email to update your password and if you have a question contact us here
- Response time could be 2-3 days since we have thousands of emails and all staff working extra shifts to help out.

Contact Us:
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/sendmessage.php

Thanks in advance all

Jeff M
HelenaAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #26
veedubjunky
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (15)

Quote:
I have just discovered when logging in again on my iPad for the first time that the system did not save my new password, I referred back to my 8 digit email code and tried that and it logged me in, marvellous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
AG - Any idea on this ^ please guys?
Its not re-occurred on any other devices, now seems to be logging in all fine.
veedubjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #27
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Its not re-occurred on any other devices, now seems to be logging in all fine.
Good stuff.
Old 18-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #28
pea-green-machine
Seasoned Chat Slut

I have updated/ changed my password. Whenever I try to get to the site it keeps redirecting me to a sign up to BT fon page

Or when I do get on I get a pop up box with the same?

I linked to hear from and email notification from a subscribed thread?

Am I the only one or has that happened to other folks?

Its only VZI and pre 67 thats doing this no other sites.
pea-green-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #29
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pea-green-machine View Post
I have updated/ changed my password. Whenever I try to get to the site it keeps redirecting me to a sign up to BT fon page

Or when I do get on I get a pop up box with the same?

I linked to hear from and email notification from a subscribed thread?

Am I the only one or has that happened to other folks?

Its only VZI and pre 67 thats doing this no other sites.
What browser are you using? On a 'phone or computer? And the full VZi site or a mobile version?

Old 18-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #30
pea-green-machine
Seasoned Chat Slut

On a Mac using safari, full site. When I use my phone I have no issue. Since I have logged back in using my new password it does seem to have stopped?
pea-green-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread