Sit together on airplane? Do you/would you pay? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > VZI REGIONS, HOLIDAYS, TRIPS, NIGHTS OUT > Europe

Europe Campsites, Holidays, Days or Nights Out in mainland Europe

Advertise on Volkszone.com

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
anth419
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Sit together on airplane? Do you/would you pay?

We holiday abroad fairly frequently [four+ times a year] and find that if we check in online we avoid a lot of airport hassle as well as getting seated together.

We took a flight to spain this weekend and were allocated seat 7B and 12B with an option to select either of the A or C seats, which means we could have been seated together, but, would have to pay. [On the way home, I swapped seats with the man who was next to my wife, because I was allocated next to his wife ]

We chose not to pay and were amazed when we got on the plane at how many families had been split up - it was everyone we spoke to. We made the conclusion that it is now policy to separate families on purpose in the hope of manipulating extra funds.

So do you/would you pay extra for a standard seat?
anth419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

I have a large young family so we do pay, but we also like to sit at the back as we all know planes never reverse into mountains
Old 17-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
clatters69
Seasoned Chat Slut

I endeavour to avoid air travel where possible, but as my kids are small I would pay to keep us all together. I see little choice otherwise.

Old 17-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

I’d pay to sit somewhere else. Preferably a different plane entirely, going to a different country.
Old 17-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
pedalcarjoe
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
Id pay to sit somewhere else. Preferably a different plane entirely, going to a different country.
pedalcarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
schmeil1
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (1)

Most often when I fly I am travelling on my own

Last time I flew with the kids, my (teenage) daughter was quite happy to sit nowhere near either myself or her younger brother

Still not driving my Buggy (though now taxed), but my 1302 is now fixed and taxed and I've now taken delivery done over 70,000 miles in my 2016 Tiguan
schmeil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
alfie the monster
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
Id pay to sit somewhere else. Preferably a different plane entirely, going to a different country.
Man after my own heart

Although my kids are as good as gold on a plane even though my youngest refuses to sleep on a night flight, I'd kill for some peace and quiet. Book, ear phones in and a cup of tea is my idea of heaven. Glen would be happy with me sat next to him on a flight
alfie the monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

The last few flights I've been on I've chanced it and been okay, but I've heard rumblings on the grapevine that certain airlines do now try to nudge you into paying extra to sit together.
simondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
M.I.B
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

I would pay extra to sit away from crying babies.

I tend to book early and book a Starboard window (unless it's the double decker) I board early, hunker down and zone out with a pillow against the window. Usually asleep right through takeoff.

But when the screaming starts that grates me so much and I find it hard to settle.

Indian Scout 101ci

Originally Posted by mr slug:

"Best bike on the thread IMO, outright winner"

The Runaway Boy
M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.B View Post
I would pay extra to sit away from crying babies.

I tend to book early and book a Starboard window (unless it's the double decker) I board early, hunker down and zone out with a pillow against the window. Usually asleep right through takeoff.

But when the screaming starts that grates me so much and I find it hard to settle.
That's why I have no plans to inflict my little ones crying on passengers...therefore until she was at least 2 I had no plans to do any travelling with her that involved aeroplanes, and don't really have any plans for air travel with her until I really have to ( orders of the wife) until she is old enough to behave / not cry.