Chassis Framehead beam bolt holes - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 30-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Framehead beam bolt holes

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Bought a Beetle chassis for a kit car I am building and the frame head is missing one of the bits that the beam bolts go into. Should be 4 of them, mine only has 3. I can probably lay my hands on one but not sure how the are secured in the frame head. They look to be welded at the rear, does anyone know if they are welded at the front too, or do they just rest against the front panel?

Cheers

Kevin
Fuchs915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs915 View Post
Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Bought a Beetle chassis for a kit car I am building and the frame head is missing one of the bits that the beam bolts go into. Should be 4 of them, mine only has 3. I can probably lay my hands on one but not sure how the are secured in the frame head. They look to be welded at the rear, does anyone know if they are welded at the front too, or do they just rest against the front panel?

Cheers

Kevin
They are fitted inside the frame head to stop the captive nut pulling through. I believe they were spot welded into place from the factory.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Thanks Phil. I'll see how I can spot it in place without getting too busy with the angle grinder.

Cheers

Kevin

Old 31-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Thanks Phil. I'll see how I can spot it in place without getting too busy with the angle grinder.

Cheers

Kevin
I have a framehead cut open at the moment will dig it out and take a picture if needed?

Last edited by skip*rat; 31-12-2019 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Made no sense !
skip*rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip*rat View Post
I have a framehead cut open at the moment will dig it out and take a picture if needed?

That would be great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
That would be great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you need anymore let me know
This framehead had two failed threads this was partly due to corrosion but more because of a failed attempt during the past to drill out a snapped bolt
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

[IMG][/IMG]
The threaded tubes run through a strengthener before exiting the rear where they are welded
I would also assume they are welded at the front to the inner folded section behind the front beam section
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by skip*rat; 01-01-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
skip*rat
Seasoned Chat Slut

I have replaced one before using a starrette cutter and welding in a new threaded tube
Ive only had basic training in welding but have been welding up my cars for the past 30 years this is the only time it makes me nervous!
You need good metal around the insert to start with (it will have deteriorated) and good penetrating seamless welds around the sleeve
Of course all this is much easier with the body removed if possible
Ady on here moler volks rod thread on here had an excellent write up and pictorial explanation of frame head repair replacement extension
Old 01-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

Thanks for the pics, Skip*rat. I tried to look at the Moler thread but all the pics have disappeared. I've managed to locate an old framehead so will use that as a donor and break out the welder.

Cheers!
Old 18-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
Fuchs915
Chat Slapper

After a lot of back and forth - beam on, beam off, trim a bit - repeat, repeat, repeat, new bit tacked in. Got a bit of fettling to do but should be all good once all finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	%BvFqRNUTheKLvYmtmfGCw.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	272389  
Reply Post New Thread