Area 1200:Performance Pages - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
HOT 1200
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Area 1200:Performance Pages

Over the years, many of you have posted some very good and interesting information relating to the humble 1200 engine.
The info is scattered all over the VZI forum, this thread enables 1200drivers to get together and share general info, 1200 tricks and anthing else 1200........strickly 1200. (OK 1200 big bore kit drivers are included here......)

GaV
HOT 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
billybug
I'm not an addict... honest!

OK a Quick 1200 Q for you

I have a Brosel Solex H30/31 carb on my 1200 and a 60's VW (not Bosch) Dizzy but at partial throttle and under load I get hesitation and misfiring - when I floor it its fine. I've tried swapping the Dizzy for an early 60's Bosch one - no better - and I've cleaned out the carb (not actually driven it since doing the carb) - any idea what could be happening?

Could it be I have the wrong Dizzy (these are vac advance only) and its not advancing properly at partial throttle? If this is the case any idea of the best Dizzy for this carb (Model no etc).

Or is it another problem?
1978 Ford Transit 2.0 pinto, ex German Feuerwehr, 17k miles from new and near mint.
billybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
HOT 1200
Seasoned Chat Slut

I would say first place to look is the pump jet on the carb....
Thats the little brass 'tap' that sits in the top of the carb...
When you operate the throttle, fuel should progressivley squirt from this tap....if they get blocked, it gives you massive flat spot and severe hesitation...
If its blocked up, the tap can be removed (simply pulls out with pliers once you have removed the top of the carb)....to clean, rod it with a either single strand of auto electric cable or fine steel wire (such as the type found on your wire brush!)
Then refit, make sure its all the way home and facing correctly down into the carb......then test again, if working correctly, your bug will now feel amazing!
GaV

Old 21-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
billybug

I'll give that a go - I cleaned the carb and fuel suirts from it when I pull the throttle lever fast, but nothing when slow - I'll try again - hopefully that'll sort it! Cheers!
1978 Ford Transit 2.0 pinto, ex German Feuerwehr, 17k miles from new and near mint.
Old 21-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
HOT 1200
Seasoned Chat Slut

They can get 'part' blocked by dirt......also worth checking the accelerator pump diaphram.......

And, as its a 'replacement carb', the fuel taps are normally too small, I drill my ones out to .7mm, that sorts out the flat spots and gives the engine a bit more vavaavooom.....!

GaV
Old 21-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
billybug

Thing is before it was serviced it was running perfectly - I had it serviced (not by me and by serviced I mean new plugs, points, condensor, valve clearances checked and adjusted, new fuel filter, new Dizzy cap and rotor arm) and it was running shite, since then its had another distributor fitted, then removed again as didn't make any difference, points re-checked, new coil, plug leads, new fuel lines, the carb cleaned (didn't clean the jet out as you described tho) timing checked and re-checked, oil changed. I've even had the carb set up using an emissions analyser.

Also in addition to the weird misfire its now having trouble hot starting - never did before Also this problem only occurs when the cars hot and off the choke, when its cold and on choke its fine?

The only thing the guy who serviced it did to the carb is he said there was a problem with the choke butterfly staying open which he adjusted.
Old 21-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
billybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT 1200 View Post
They can get 'part' blocked by dirt......also worth checking the accelerator pump diaphram.......

And, as its a 'replacement carb', the fuel taps are normally too small, I drill my ones out to .7mm, that sorts out the flat spots and gives the engine a bit more vavaavooom.....!

GaV
Wheres the fuel taps on the carb? Also is the accelerator pump diaphram the bit on the side?

Also the carb has only done 1800 miles

Last edited by billybug; 21-11-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 21-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
HOT 1200
Seasoned Chat Slut

Yes, pump diaphram is on side right hand side of carb.......
Fuel tap sit on top of carb (once you have removed the carb top) and looks like a small brass pipe, bent like a swan neck.....
Have you checked the timing.....?
Old 21-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
billybug

I wish you lived closer to Bristol dude! I'd take my little 1200 to you for a 'spruce up '
Old 21-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
al_kaholik
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (23)

My 1200 tip? Stick with it - they are good motors. Practice heel and toe so that you can utilise what power there is. And full throttle is the only throttle

Wasserboxer conversion

'77 Jap import FI and Aircon
al_kaholik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread