Project BEEFCAKE! - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 29-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
buggin73
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

nice bug , lot of work gone in to it , will be watching this

The wrong'un police
buggin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #22
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

Thought would add a couple of 'how to' bits I did some years ago. I'm not sure I'm actually going to use these wings now simply because of their substantial weight etc, and the rear valance isn't much good with the scoob in there etc. thought someone might find useful old as they are though.

WIDE WINGS (**update, since photobucket have gone to pot I've reupped 4 pics to vzi tho the how to do is now a little lost....of that makes sense?)

These aren't the rules, but a guide to how I did it

OK, I have fitted 8.5" Wolfrace Slotmags on the back, and they stick out of standard wings conciderably. You couldn't drive with them like that at least. So the plan was to buy some 3" wider fibreglass wings or make some. Being a tight numpty, having 2 spare pre67 wings from the cab and always having to do it the hard way I chose to make my own.

I managed to get 2 long strips of sheet metal, conciderably thinker than standard wing metal. Cost me 10. They were 2 meters by 3.5" wide, allowing me 1/4" overlap at each side where attaching to the wings (no butt welds here ) and an total of 3" wider wings.

First thing to do was bolt on the wings, I then measured 1/2" (if I remember correctly) from the fold in the wing where it sits flush with the body. Joined the dots and gave me a line to cut with a jigsaw.

Looked like this: pic 1

Bolt the strip on as you would a wing and then comes the tricky part, and is a 2 man job really, especially in the absence of any decent G clamps (all my poundland ones snapped in half!! ha ha):

I then tacked this in place with spot welds (no pic sorry), and then proceeded to join the tacks, giving me a 'mini' wing and nice seam weld.

Same again for the next part of the wing, G clamp, spot weld then seam:

Chop off the excess metal (I will tidy this up later):

and then the horrible job, grinding down the seam welds!! YAWN. Its not as badly distorted as the pic makes it look, bad scan:

For the other side I took a slightly different approach and decided to do all the tack welds first and then take my time joining them up with seam welds to avoid heat distortion. TBH the end result was pretty much the same as the other side. There is some distortion but noting a ball pane and filler won't sort:

Last edited by Big Al; 22-11-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #23
Big Al

**will ad pics and how to on seperate thread

If I was to do this again I think the biggest change would be to use butt welds. I'm not sure how this would differ in terms of strength or flex/cracking etc but just a couple of mills difference in height between the metal insert and wing metal made filling and prepping this an absolute nighmare task, and easily took as long as making the wings themselves

Sounds easy doesn't it??? Next time I'll buy fibreglass wings!! ha ha ha :P ;D

If doing something similar and need to ask any questions etc, drop me a pm

Good Luck!

Last edited by Big Al; 22-11-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 29-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #24
Big Al

LOWERED BLADE BUMPER (think you can buy these now, but how I did it a million years ago)

Back in the late 90's I bought blade bumpers for my 72 bug. Erm they don't fit! pre-67 are supposed to come out of the front valance and are mounted in the spare wheel tyre well. post 67 exit via the wing and are bolted to the inner wing.

This is the simple solution I settled on. I know in terms of crash protection its pretty much useless, but so is a std blade and mount so wasn't worried. Also it gave me the oportunity to lower the bumper slightly giving the bug the appearance of the bug being lower than it actually was from the front. (it only has a 2.5" drop on spindles & the bumper mod)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	618d89a4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	218761  
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Al; 22-11-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Old 29-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #25
Big Al

REMOVABLE REAR VALANCE

Sorry no pics of the strip and build, but this is how I did it.

Grind off old valance cutting down the inside of the inner wings. This is easier with the engine and exhaust out etc, (don't worry putting the engine back in will be a doddle after you have done this!! )

This leaves you with no valance and clear access to the engine bay. To install your engine all you now need to do is jack it up to the right height, roll it into the engine bay on the jack, bolt up.

The valance was a new one from GSF. I removed the rubber clip on metal thingy, its nuts and rusts anyhow. This can be done with pliers, just pull and twist as is quite badly spot welded on. You may need to grind a few high spots down etc and tidy it up after doing this but gives a much better result than leaving it on to corrode.

Then I took 4 standard wing washers (although the ones I have are slightly thicker than standard I think). Clamp into position, and weld em in as I have below. You'll prolly need to grind excess weld off and tidy up.

Now all you need to do is remove the bottom 2 wing bolts, slot the valance between the inner wing and wing, and bolt back on through the new valance rings.

Make sure it fits b4 you paint

mine looks like this, is the second I've done (this one and beerbugs) and will never have a fixed valance again. Makes life so much easier working on the engine, zorst, removals etc.

**update...PIC AT BOTTOM

AND FINALLY

Valance the Finnish way!

Img's originally posted by 'Hebster 52' in VZi Mech Tech (www.volkszone.com)

I think this is how I will aim to do mine, kinda!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	218777  

Last edited by Big Al; 22-11-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Old 29-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #26
Zebedee

Trading feedback: (6)

You sure you've got enough rubber on those rear slotmags? Look a little skinny to me.

I've got a set of Talbot Horizon calipers to go on my bug eventually and always wondered what sort of brake hoses to use on them. Can i ask how much they cost to get made up?
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #27
Moonska
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Inspirational stuff mate.
Makes we want to get back into the garage and finish mine
What wheels are you thinking of running?
Nick
Moonska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
ange-brierley
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

epic build!! loving it
Old 29-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
You sure you've got enough rubber on those rear slotmags? Look a little skinny to me.

I've got a set of Talbot Horizon calipers to go on my bug eventually and always wondered what sort of brake hoses to use on them. Can i ask how much they cost to get made up?
No longer using the slotmags on this project as can't get enough rubber on it! Gone for 16/8 porsche teledials instead as closest thing to slotmags and a relatively budget porsche alloy, love em or hate em much like the slots.

I forget the exact amout but think were about 30 quid for the pair, quite a lot for brake hoses I guess, they are nylon inserts tho so shouldn't flex egg or rot like rubber. They didn't come off the shelf and tbh I forget the sizes etc. the company who put the parts together for me was PHC in Sheffield but I took the calipers and old brake lines down with me etc so wouldn't be able to sort unlesswas close by. There is a bald bloke who works there and into his motorbikes, he sorted it for me

I believe you can get away with early bug rear pipes as are a bit longer and allow for the pipe coming out of the caliper at the wrong angle, otherwise need the 90* in there. If nothing else a cost effective way to test if any good to you.

Oh, don't forget the small spacers needed!

.....and 14" slotmags DON'T fit over the Talbot Calipers, 15" are ok though I think I had an issue with a flat faced slot steel wheel too but cant remember if am mixing this up with the wolfrace slot in my head?
Old 29-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #30
Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonska View Post
Inspirational stuff mate.
Makes we want to get back into the garage and finish mine
What wheels are you thinking of running?
Nick
Thank you

Porsche Teledials 16/8 and 16/7. There is a lot of grunt (and more to come) to put down so want plenty of tread on the tarmack, want it to go round corners too and couldn't find much performance tyre choices in 15", and also limited to around 225 widths where this can be much more in 16"+

Selling one pair of the slotmags I had for this on ebay right now and saving the other set for the future.

Last edited by Big Al; 29-11-2011 at 11:40 PM..
Reply Post New Thread