Engine Rocker shaft studs - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 16-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Rocker shaft studs

I have to replace the rocker shaft studs in once head on a 1600 twin port type 1 engine.
What is the best way to put them in and make sure I have them down far enough?
66606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

Put a marker pen line or otherwise mark the original studs before removal where they enter the head casting.

Double nut the old stud and tighten the 2 nuts against each other as tight as you can with 2 ring spanners. Then unscrew the old stud with a ring spanner on the lower nut.

Put the old stud up against the new, (check they are the same length) - put a new mark on the new stud the same distance from the end, then wind the new stud in till the mark lines up with the casting. Use loctite on the threads.

How come you need to replace a stud ?

Dave.
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Cheers, although I already have the studs out.
I managed to bugger them up and the cylinder studs when my fan belt came off. was a complete cock up om my part as I hadn't checked the valves before I set off on a long journey and well, let's just say I learnt a valuable lesson.
66606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread