Brakes Drum or disc breaks? - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
H2OSB
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Drum brakes will actually stop BETTER. They have far more surface area where the shoes meet the friction surface. Where disc brakes shine is with repeated use or where water is encountered. Due to the enclose design, drum brakes cannot shed heat OR water well.

I have seen Porsche 356 retro-fits where the friction surface is drilled with regular holes, much like a drilled "performance" brake rotor. That could potentially cure the usual issue drum brakes have. The other main issue with drum brakes, at least in VW flavor, is they're not self adjusting. However, that's just annoying, and not a critical flaw.

That said, I have CB Performance front and rear disc brake kits on my '73 1303, and Porsche 914/944 front, 944 rear brakes on my '74 1303

H2OSB

Last edited by H2OSB; 22-12-2018 at 02:36 PM..
H2OSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #22
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post
If you use a beetle as a daily (I do), changing to discs makes life easier. I find that they feel better, are more consistent, and far less likely to pull or judder. Not having to adjust them every two minutes is a definite bonus. If it wasn't for the fact that handbrake caliper mechanisms are crap (VAG calipers are the worst in the world), I'd change the rears too.
I had VW brake callipers (mk3 golf) on the rear of my beetle & had no problems whatsoever. Disc brakes are not totally maintenance free as just like drum brakes, the brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years (use dot 4 fluid) Itís also imperative that the slide pins are properly lubricated with heat resistant grease & that the slide pin seals are in good condition.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
Mr.Orange
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox71slammed View Post
I had VW brake callipers (mk3 golf) on the rear of my beetle & had no problems whatsoever. Disc brakes are not totally maintenance free as just like drum brakes, the brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years (use dot 4 fluid) Itís also imperative that the slide pins are properly lubricated with heat resistant grease & that the slide pin seals are in good condition.

Phil
Almost every VW we got in at work that had uneven pad wear, or offy brake/handbrake readings, ended up with calipers. I'm not saying they are all bad, many work perfectly well, but VW Group cars gave us more trouble than any other. Oddly enough, I don't remember ever having to change front calipers on VWs (apart form my own van ).
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post
Almost every VW we got in at work that had uneven pad wear, or offy brake/handbrake readings, ended up with calipers. I'm not saying they are all bad, many work perfectly well, but VW Group cars gave us more trouble than any other. Oddly enough, I don't remember ever having to change front calipers on VWs (apart form my own van ).
I have seen this too but generally itís down to poor maintenance. As you well know VW donít make their own brake callipers so this issue must occur with other car brands too.

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #25
Mr.Orange
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox71slammed View Post
I have seen this too but generally itís down to poor maintenance. As you well know VW donít make their own brake callipers so this issue must occur with other car brands too.

Phil
It may well be down to the type of owners that we were getting. We'd find that the ones with a £2k sound system, and a £500 drainpipe back box would suddenly claim to be skint when you told them it needed £150 to get it through the test.
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
Forsh
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Other than disks help avoid pulling one way or another, as long as the brakes, drum or disk, are reasonably set up...

THE best way to make your car stop better / quicker / shorter

...Quality tyres!