EBAY SCAMS? PLEASE READ!!! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion > Stolen Vehicle Archive

Stolen Vehicle Archive Please check here regularly for updates on what's been nicked. Especially if you're thinking of buying.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Default EBAY SCAMS? PLEASE READ!!!

Because there appears to be a plethora of threads about scam listings on Ebay, we're inviting people to post (below) about anything they've found that looks a bit suss.

Hopefully, those VZi'ers in the know can take a look and if it is iffy, point out why, and then this thread can serve as a warning, until such time as Ebay pulls the listing(s) (please remember to keep reporting these cunts though).

These fuckers really are getting good at what they do, and we don't want anyone falling for these scams.

Thanks in advance and be vigilant

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Rad Dubs and Englishmen
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (7)

These are all current ones, but there's bound to be more:
Rad Dubs and Englishmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
66 Ghia
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

How are they scamming ?, when i typed in the item numbers above i got a phishing warning ,how can this be when its on ebay?.
66 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Ghia View Post
How are they scamming ?, when i typed in the item numbers above i got a phishing warning ,how can this be when its on ebay?.
Please read the other sticky 'Ebay' thread dude
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Rad Dubs and Englishmen

When you load the page, watch closely the web address it redirects to another address, the dead give away with them at present is that the report item button on the right underneath the sellers details disappears. If you then click on ask seller a question it redirects to a sign in page, IF you were to sign in there, they'd have your details, and I dare say your account would be the next one hacked.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Rad Dubs and Englishmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flojo View Post
Wasnt sure where to post this but thought i'd stick it in the busiest place on here for maximum exposure!!

DO NOT CLICK ASK THE SELLER A QUESTION REGARDING THIS SPLITTY EBAY AUCTION - ebay item 220518529239

This is what I have just posted over at SSVC

Definately a phishing site..........................DO NOT ASK THE SELLER ANY QUESTIONS

Dodgy URL - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk.ic-ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220518529239

Genuine URL - Genuine URL - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-VOLKSWAGEN-T ... 4cec1f1ee7

The red part highlighted above should definately not be there!
When you click on ask the seller a question it immediately asks you to log in.....................strange as I already am logged in under a different window! Plus look again at the URL where it asks you to log in

Dodgy login URL - http://signin.ebay.co.uk.ic-ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&UsingSSL=1&pUserId=&co_partne rId=2&siteid=3&requested=tushay2001&iid=2205185292 39&title=Volkswagen Splitscreen 15 window Camper Van&enddate=27-Dec-09 14:26:54 GMT&i1=1&pagetype=2725

Genuine login URL - https://signin.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

Notice the blue is a secure login form as it has a HTTPS where as the dodgy link does not have the S for secure. Also on the top right of the URL bar there is a padlock which confirms it is 'Veri Sign' identified and secure

Finally when you right click on the dodgy login pages 'sign in' button and click on properties then 'certificates' you will notice that the pop up box says 'this type of document does not have a security certificate', but when you do this on the genuine log in page it states 'Veri Sign class 3 extended validation SSL CA' as it should!

Steer well clear and the more that complain to ebay the sooner this will be removed!

Will post this over at VZI too to make them all aware!

If you could post this on any other VW sites you visit so no poor unsuspecting sole gets phished that would be great!!

Erran
Quote:
Originally Posted by flojo View Post
Feels like a spot the difference competition

Genuine Ebay auction page

Fake 'overlay' Ebay auction page

Those with good eyes will see the change from real page to fake page happen the moment the genuine page loads up!!

Remember the points raised in my above post and you should be fine when ever on ebay................sorry if this stinks of teaching you to suck eggs 8)

Anyone would think I didnt have anything better to do at almost 3am :drunken:

Erran
Lifted from other thread to explain how to spot them, the ad shown here has been deleted now but the tell tale signs are the same.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Rad Dubs and Englishmen

Another: 230405308685
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
66 Ghia
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

jeez didnt notice the addy was wrong ,just got phishing warning ,have come across dodgy sites on web before but didnt realise it could be done through ebay.
66 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
mickB
Plastic Manc Glory Hunter

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

I got had by one last week,changed my password when I posted the info on here and was advised too.
It's putting me off buying and/or selling anything on there tbh
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
emtee
..-. . -.-. -.- .. -

Been doing some research into this style of scams, see info here - http://www.sophos.com/blogs/sophoslabs/v/post/1199

Best solution would seem to be to use firefox with adblockplus which seems to ninja their asses.

Much better than IE as well IMHO

edit - damn spoke too soon, doesn't seem to work on the 3 listed by raddubs above

Last edited by emtee; 03-12-2009 at 10:53 PM..
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread