If you're gonna make a special, make it special - Page 49 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 23-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #481
dc66
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Fantastic thread, epic skills on parade - thank you for taking the time to share, it really is appreciated.

Result buying those old beating hammers - new stuff is just shite.
Thank you

Most of my tools are old secondhand ones for that reason. I recently bought a hand held hole punch for sheet metal. It was from a respected supplier, but it was rubbish! The jaws didn't even mesh together the fit was so poor. I sent it back and they refunded it without quibble. They knew!
A secondhand one, about 40 years old then came up on ebay. This works perfectly.
dc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:35 PM   #482
dc66

Well I spoke too soon about the progress of the offside wing! It took me all day today just to get it to meet up with the headlight bowl so it matches the other side!

Old 03-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #483
dc66

Now, I have been thinking.......

and yes, even loosing sleep.....

I have changed my mind on the engine choice.
I'm going back to Alfa. Hear me out here, the car is styled on Italian Le Man cars from the 50's and 60's. Maserati, ferrari and alfa romeo 33 stradale. I know many people love the wbx engine, but when I'm asked "what's under the hood?" I don't really want to answer "a 1980's van engine"!
The wbx makes great torque, perfect for pushing a large brick through the air at low revs. I want a revvy, blippy happy engine.
Also, I'm a member of a wbx fb group. All I read about is people's breakdowns and woe. When I break down I want to shrug and say "huf, alfa" and get knowing nods back.
So I've contacted my friend who races a 33 who has agreed to build me an engine. I'm going 1.7 with carbs.

Then, yesterday a 1.7 pops up on marketplace for 50!
The chap bought it 20 years ago to pinch the carbs off it and put them on his beetle. So a complete engine minus carbs for 50! I couldn't resist. If its viable I'll have a go at rebuilding it myself. I've built many a VW flat four, but never anything else. I'm not lucky enough that it won't need a rebuild!

So now the hunt is on for a cheap second hand adapter kit. I've found a place in the UK who can make me one, but I'd rather not fork out the 450 if I can help it.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #484
pedalcarjoe
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc66 View Post
Now, I have been thinking.......

and yes, even loosing sleep.....

I have changed my mind on the engine choice.
I'm going back to Alfa. Hear me out here, the car is styled on Italian Le Man cars from the 50's and 60's. Maserati, ferrari and alfa romeo 33 stradale. I know many people love the wbx engine, but when I'm asked "what's under the hood?" I don't really want to answer "a 1980's van engine"!
The wbx makes great torque, perfect for pushing a large brick through the air at low revs. I want a revvy, blippy happy engine.
Also, I'm a member of a wbx fb group. All I read about is people's breakdowns and woe. When I break down I want to shrug and say "huf, alfa" and get knowing nods back.
So I've contacted my friend who races a 33 who has agreed to build me an engine. I'm going 1.7 with carbs.

Then, yesterday a 1.7 pops up on marketplace for 50!
The chap bought it 20 years ago to pinch the carbs off it and put them on his beetle. So a complete engine minus carbs for 50! I couldn't resist. If its viable I'll have a go at rebuilding it myself. I've built many a VW flat four, but never anything else. I'm not lucky enough that it won't need a rebuild!

So now the hunt is on for a cheap second hand adapter kit. I've found a place in the UK who can make me one, but I'd rather not fork out the 450 if I can help it.
go for it
pedalcarjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #485
iain ambrose

I spoke to the owner of a bug with an alfa engine years ago.
He told me that he heated the frame forks so they would bend down for engine clearance
Old 05-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #486
dc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain ambrose View Post
I spoke to the owner of a bug with an alfa engine years ago.
He told me that he heated the frame forks so they would bend down for engine clearance
Ha ha, I'll not be doing that!
I have the motor turning up tomorrow, so I'll soon know if it will fit.
Oh, and I've sourced a conversion kit. Unfortunately it's attached to a 1.5 engine that I have to buy with it
I won't be able to get it for a month or so as its buried in the back of his workshop.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #487
dc66

Oooo look what turned up to the workshop today!!

It turns out it is a 1.7, 8 valve alfa romeo 33 sprint engine. So that's 115 bhp @6000rpm! weyhay!!

I tried to see if it was seized by gentle turning the crank pulley. All seamed good for about a 1/4 of a turn when there was a horrid grating noise. Obviously I stopped straight away!
I removed the alternator belt and noticed the alternator didn't spin and jammed up as I turned it. So I tried the engine again.......
Smooth with nice compression hisses and pishes!

Result!

I continued to strip the ancillaries off, plugged the intakes, degreased the outside and steam cleaned it.

Much nicer!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #488
pedalcarjoe
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc66 View Post
Oooo look what turned up to the workshop today!!

It turns out it is a 1.7, 8 valve alfa romeo 33 sprint engine. So that's 115 bhp @6000rpm! weyhay!!

I tried to see if it was seized by gentle turning the crank pulley. All seamed good for about a 1/4 of a turn when there was a horrid grating noise. Obviously I stopped straight away!
I removed the alternator belt and noticed the alternator didn't spin and jammed up as I turned it. So I tried the engine again.......
Smooth with nice compression hisses and pishes!

Result!

I continued to strip the ancillaries off, plugged the intakes, degreased the outside and steam cleaned it.

Much nicer!
it will be when you have finished with it
pedalcarjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #489
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

Loving what you are doing, and love the updates. Fantastic work 😃😎
Old 09-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #490
dc66

Whipped the heads off to have a look...

I guess because the engine had been left standing for a couple of decades water had caused some corrosion in the bottom of one of the bores. Pants!
It's a cast block without liners so a rebore is on the cards. And here's the problem. Oversize pistons are, well, not common. If it was a 1.5, no problem.
There are a couple of companies who make forged high compression oversize pistons...... At around 1k!! And I'd get 12:1 compression! Sounds fun, and if that was the only expense, 1000 for an engine would be fine. But you know I'd then need special head gaskets, special head bolts, special main bearings and, well you get the idea.
Or I could just ignore the corrosion, hone the bore best I can and just accept it may smoke a bit.....

Tomorrow I'll have a look at the crankshaft. That may force the decision!
Reply Post New Thread