electric fuel pump - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #21
PIE O.C.
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

I wired a normaly closed relay to the oil pressure sender remembering that it switches the earth. There is usualy enough fuel in the system to start it. To prime the pump I wired in a normaly open relay to the brake light then to prime you just press the brake. Saves running a wire all the way to the front and cutting the dash for a switch.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #22
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

If you use the car regularly (at least once a week) then priming isn't really an issue as the carb float bowls will hold enough fuel to fire the engine. In winter you can sometimes get away with having it sitting 2 weeks without having to prime it.

I'd be a bit wary about using the brake as a bypass carb prime switch as you'd probably be stamping on the brake pedal in an accident situation, and if the pedal should stick in a collision, or if your leg is jamming it down, then it defeats the whole object of having the safety circuit in the first place.

On my car I have just wired it as per my diagram on the first page, but without the prime button, as I use it regularly enough not to need one. For the initial start up, or if I've had the carbs off or engine out for any reason, I just sling a scrap of wire across to put 12V onto the pump so it fills the carbs for the first time.

Dave.

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 07-09-2008 at 11:19 AM..
Mr.Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
Simonrp
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonrp View Post
Anyone have a source for the Golf relay?

VW say it has been obsolute since 2002 and I have tried a few breakers without any luck.

I picked up a couple of Audi relays with similar pin outs to the Golf relay, but nothing that was a direct match.

Any help gratefully received.
After a bit of internet detective work found that new Golf Relays are available from GSF car parts - part number 93590 21.74.

They have confirmed the relay has the same pin-outs.
Simonrp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
stcos85
Wannabe Chat Slut

a little bit of a side question but does the cb rotary pump operate all the time when powered up or does it switch on and off?
stcos85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #25
Goldetop
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonrp View Post
After a bit of internet detective work found that new Golf Relays are available from GSF car parts - part number 93590 21.74.

They have confirmed the relay has the same pin-outs.
Bought one a few weeks back from GSF, havent tried it yet but I/We came to the same conclusion that it was the same. In fact from memory it looks identical & has the same number on the side as the pic Glenn posted. Will check again when I get home.
Goldetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #26
Ollatron
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcos85 View Post
a little bit of a side question but does the cb rotary pump operate all the time when powered up or does it switch on and off?
Seems to run all the time, but then I can't hear it when the engine is running.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #27
Mr.Whippy

The rotary pumps do run all the time, but they're a lot quieter than the interrupter type pumps.

I've been thinking about my original wiring for the pump safety circuit - with the addition of a second (bog standard) relay it could be made to operate the pump whilst the engine is cranking, and so you could then do away with the "priming" button and have one less hole to drill in the dashboard.

I'll draw it all out nice & neat, and post it up later tonight.

Dave.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #28
Mr.Whippy

Updated diagram, as promised.

Dave.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Simonrp
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldetop View Post
Bought one a few weeks back from GSF, havent tried it yet but I/We came to the same conclusion that it was the same. In fact from memory it looks identical & has the same number on the side as the pic Glenn posted. Will check again when I get home.

Yep, turned up yesterday. Same as picture only difference incorporates 15a fuse on top of the relay. Made by same company - KAE
Simonrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
foldingvan

Dave (Mr Whippy),

Your solution looks fantastic, can I throw in a couple of curve balls?

1) Is there any reason why this wiring would not work in a Ford Anglia?

2) If you were running two fuel pumps (fuel injection) would you just duplicate the set-up? or would you feed both pumps from the one set-up?

Also, nube question, what are the numbers in brackets 50, 15 & 61?

Many thanks
foldingvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread