Russia Report ???! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Multimedia Forum

Multimedia Forum Computer, IT, Browser, Online, TV, Radio, Film, Smartphone & Technology Questions & Discussion. Any questions or discussion relating to computers, browsers, technology, software, smartphones, smart home appliances, smart TV, Radio, Films, Netflix/video set up, Publications/Magazines, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Ebay, Paypal and even TV shows and games, XBox etc - please ask in here. Eventually we should build a helpful database of answers to many regular IT and broadcast questions.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
mickB
Plastic Manc Glory Hunter

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

Default Russia Report ???!

Russia sees the UK as one of its "top targets" in the West, according to the Intelligence and Security Committee.

The ISC's long-awaited report said the UK was targeted due to its close relationship with the US and because it is "seen as central to the Western anti-Russian lobby".

WTF does that mean Russia going to nuke us or something
Old 21-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Sol Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Reading between the lines, I think it means; It's a slow news day, let's whip up some anti-Russia stuff. I'd imagine the UK has been in the same spot on the list since 1946.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
clatters69
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Reading between the lines, I think it means; It's a slow news day, let's whip up some anti-Russia stuff. I'd imagine the UK has been in the same spot on the list since 1946.
Yes, and even if we are on the receiving end it'll more likely be cyber attacks than the explosive stuff.

However, I do like to cover all my bases, so I'm going to spend the afternoon perfecting my goose-stepping by marching up and down the garden and will henceforth address everybody as 'Comrade', despite communism ending 30 years ago. This is what comes of reading Animal Farm.

Old 21-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
mickB
Plastic Manc Glory Hunter

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatters69 View Post
Yes, and even if we are on the receiving end it'll more likely be cyber attacks than the explosive stuff.

However, I do like to cover all my bases, so I'm going to spend the afternoon perfecting my goose-stepping by marching up and down the garden and will henceforth address everybody as 'Comrade', despite communism ending 30 years ago. This is what comes of reading Animal Farm.
Price of the remaining Lada cars is going to rocket too
Old 21-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
trenchfoot
Seasoned Chat Slut

The Intelligence and Security Committee has stated that "Russian influence in the UK is the new normal"
It accuses "successive governments" of welcoming "oligarchs and their money with open arms, providing them with a means of recycling illicit finance through the London ‘laundromat’, and connections at the highest levels with access to UK companies and political figures"
The committee has not, however, assessed the extent of Russian influence on the Brexit referendum arguing it "would be difficult – if not impossible – to assess, and we have not sought to do so"
On influencing elections, the report concludes "in terms of the direct threat to elections, we have been informed that the mechanics of the UK’s voting system are deemed largely sound"
But the report calls for ‘immediate action’ – new legislation is required to give the intelligence services the tools they need to tackle "this very capable adversary"
The report says that it appears that Russia considers the UK one of its top intelligence targets and "the security threat posed by Russia is difficult to manage..it appears fundamentally nihilistic... it is also seemingly fed by paranoia".
Old 21-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
ian c2
Help! I'm trapped in here

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53399862
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37FB08FE-D0FB-4188-9CF2-F9371BDF2222.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	281415  
ian c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Orby1
Saddest VZi'er 2019

Trading feedback: (1)

I'm not finding the fact that our government purposely turned a blind eye to Russian interference in Brexit as they knew it helped their cause anyway, as amusing as some on here.
If anyone else saw the documentary about the Murdoch empire the other night I'm sure they'll share my dismay at our so called democracy. Successive governments have undeniably all done what Murdoch has told them, and now Russia apparently helps decide the outcomes of our referenda and elections also. It's enough to make you wonder what the point of voting is!

www.wolfsburgweedhuggers.co.uk/
Orby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
iain ambrose
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

The cold war never ended, it just went digital.
There are countless stories in recent years of state sponsored hacking across the world.
Destabilizing a countries political infrastructure brings opportunities.