Powder or wet paint to refinish alloys - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Wheels & Tyres Forum

Wheels & Tyres Forum Please discuss wheels or tyres (for all vehicles) in here.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Bedbug
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Powder or wet paint to refinish alloys

I'm looking to change the colour of a set of Alloy Wheels

I'm in the lucky position where I can get them blasted foc, so
Wet paint or powder coat to finish them.

I'm concerned about damage from refitting the tyres if they are wet painted, it would be 2k + a clear lacquer + left for a few days to harden, could even get them low baked?

Does anyone have any experience of either
Bedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
James_1983
Chat Virgin

My school of thought is; Properly painted will adhere to the surface of the wheel and leave a hard finish, whereas powder coating just creates a hard shell around the outside.

Therefore, when fitting/stripping tyres the powder coating is more likely to crack off, especially if surface starts to oxidize underneath. There will be no problem fitting tyres to newly painted wheels as long as they are dry/hardened.
James_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
flat4fanatic
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (8)

Paint, then you can touch in any chips that might happen in the future.
Never had any new paint damaged by fitting tyres. Ive heard you need to scrape off the powdercoating where the wheelbolt touches it or it wont grip.
flat4fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Jamie_s
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Id wet paint personally, you can get a much better finish and have a far greater choice of colours.
Jamie_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Chino_uk
Seasoned Chat Slut

I've ran powder coated wheels without issue. The benefit being they are harder wearing than paint, and less prone to chipping. you do need to check the bolts after a few miles as the powder adds a layer as mentioned which will compress a bit after a few miles. I found them snug on the centre bore of the hub at first, but once they'd been off and on again they were fine. In regards to tyre fitting, again no issues, I imagine most tyre places are used to handling powder coated wheels these days as it is extremely popular for refurbishing alloys. I think the way I would approach it, if you want them as show wheels, you can get a nicer finish with paint, however, if you want something that will get a fair bit of use and be durable, I would go powder.

Last edited by Chino_uk; 17-10-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Chino_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
angel66
Seasoned Chat Slut

I have had the wheels of my T2 powder coated and they are already rusting and chipping. I think it is due to the powder coating being put on to thinly, not sure if that is possible or not? So that is something you would need to watch out for, or discuss with whoever is doing the powder coating.

If I do my wheels again, (standard steels) I am going to get the sprayer who did my S2 Lambretta to paint them! He is proper old school, uses 2K paint, tonnes of lacquer etc and after clattering one of the freshly finished parts of something there wasn't a mark on it.

Also have you looked into this new water transfer (hydrographic) stuff, looks like a dark magic to me.
Old 23-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
keekster64
Seasoned Chat Slut

Most modern alloys are powdered. It last well if the surface is prepared properly. However, if the surface gets damaged, corrosion spreads underneath the surface and it comes off like a skin. Wet paint is not as resilient, but, you notice the damage and corrosion quicker, and it encourages you to fix it sooner. So, depends what your priority is. I would wet paint a steel wheel, and powder an alloy, unless its partly polished, and then I would wet paint the non polished bits.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
leeb1977
Chat Slapper

Have you considered ep paint? The half way house....
leeb1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread