New Top Gear - Page 4 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Multimedia Forum

Multimedia Forum Computer, IT, Browser, Online, TV, Radio, Film, Smartphone & Technology Questions & Discussion. Any questions or discussion relating to computers, browsers, technology, software, smartphones, smart home appliances, smart TV, Radio, Films, Netflix/video set up, Publications/Magazines, Photobucket, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Ebay, Paypal and even TV shows and games, XBox etc - please ask in here. Eventually we should build a helpful database of answers to many regular IT and broadcast questions.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #31
Jim
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Location: Belfast, where VWs rot freely , and young children laugh at my bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.
Fair points dude that I'd have to agree with! Hadn't considered a lot of that, but what I'd meant was that everything seems to be heading towards electric cars with zero emissions etc etc.
I'm in the same boat as yourself, never had a car newer than 10yr old and generally buy a car and keep it for a long time, at the moment my modern daily is 17, the wifes is 14 and my VWs are 30 and 52. The throw away society sickens me!!!
'02 Octy VRS
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #32
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Fair points dude that I'd have to agree with! Hadn't considered a lot of that, but what I'd meant was that everything seems to be heading towards electric cars with zero emissions etc etc.
I'm in the same boat as yourself, never had a car newer than 10yr old and generally buy a car and keep it for a long time, at the moment my modern daily is 17, the wifes is 14 and my VWs are 30 and 52. The throw away society sickens me!!!
Yes, that is how the market is going, it is pretty shitty really.
Old 27-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #33
mister pp
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
It really isn't...

1. Can anyone explain to me how raping the earth for Lithium, shipping it half way around the planet, processing it and shipping it half way around the planet for a second time, turning it into batteries and shipping it for a third time is good for the environment?

2. Where are all the public charging points going to go exactly? How long will it take to install enough of the things to service all of these EVs?

3. How is designing a car with a realistic life span of 10 years good for the environment? My current fleet is 29 years old and 16 years old respectively. That Nissan Leaf was scrap. The same era Note or Juke would still be fine if it had been properly maintained.

5. How are we going to dispose of all of those lithium cells?

6. Where does the electricity come from?

7. What about people that don't have off street parking? Where are they going to plug them in?

All we are doing by embracing the EV technology that is currently on offer is deferring the environmental disaster so our kids can sort it out and we are giving ourselves a pat on the back for being so clever.

The future is us realising that our rampant consumerism has to stop and that the right to travel by mechanical means is a luxury that we cannot afford.

Anyway. I think that New New New New Top Gear is pretty good. The first two episodes have had me laughing out loud. It is a country mile better than the Grand Tour too. Clarkson, Hammond and May have had their time in the sun. I also like the way the have shifted the dynamic of the show. Clarkson, Hammond and May was two aged ex-private school boys ragging a working class oik. Now it is two working class Northern boys taking the piss out of a middle class wannabe.
Youíre right. There isnít joined up thinking when it comes to the environment.
The environmental cost for something especially cars should be looked at from the cradle to the grave
How much does it cost in environmental terms to produce ,use and dispose of something. As well as itís longevity. Our classic Veedubs may pollute more locally but the environmental cost of production has been recouped many times over. Most of our electricity is from fossil fuels so electric cars pollution is created elsewhere. At the power station not in the city.
Itís much the same with diesels they may produce more local pollution (particulates nitrous emissions etc) but far less globally than petrol as they are more fuel efficient causing less CO2 and so less greenhouse effect. The fact that they go on for many more miles than petrol means less cars have to be produced. Now scrappage schemes are being introduced so perfectly good vehicles will be once again thrown away. Howís that environmentally friendly?
mister pp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #34
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister pp View Post
Youíre right. There isnít joined up thinking when it comes to the environment.
The environmental cost for something especially cars should be looked at from the cradle to the grave
How much does it cost in environmental terms to produce ,use and dispose of something. As well as itís longevity. Our classic Veedubs may pollute more locally but the environmental cost of production has been recouped many times over. Most of our electricity is from fossil fuels so electric cars pollution is created elsewhere. At the power station not in the city.
Itís much the same with diesels they may produce more local pollution (particulates nitrous emissions etc) but far less globally than petrol as they are more fuel efficient causing less CO2 and so less greenhouse effect. The fact that they go on for many more miles than petrol means less cars have to be produced. Now scrappage schemes are being introduced so perfectly good vehicles will be once again thrown away. Howís that environmentally friendly?
The thing that governments/corporations are thinking about when it comes to the environment is how they can think of new ways to fleece the common man out of money. I like watching people like Elon Musk, it is comedy gold. Some of his "science" is dubious to say they least.

My car is the type of car that is eligible for scrappage. It is a perfectly good Toyota Yaris 1.4 TD. There is nothing wrong with it and it has been to the moon and back. I won't be scrapping a perfectly good car.
Old 30-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #35
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

I'm getting a Daimler Hearse.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #36
mickB
Plastic Manc Glory Hunter

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

With a Lexus v8 conversion
mickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #37
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickB View Post
With a Lexus v8 conversion
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #38
Greg McD
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

I saw it last night for the first time with the new line-up. Very enjoyable
Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 AM   #39
callaghan
Seasoned Chat Slut

I wish they would dump the ďcelebrity ď bit tho.

I would much prefer if they visit celebs car collections (Lenoís garage , jay kay etc) or just regular folks with interesting vehicles?
callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #40
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
I'm getting a Daimler Hearse.
I'm dying to get into one*.

* sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fatpuggre...p2047675.l2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread