Anyone know anything about pellet burners? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 14-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Shamrockez
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Anyone know anything about pellet burners?

Looking at getting a new log burner and the subject of pellet burners keeps coming up.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth having over a normal log burner?

Thanks in advance
Old 14-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockez View Post
Looking at getting a new log burner and the subject of pellet burners keeps coming up.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth having over a normal log burner?

Thanks in advance
We have one here.

It's superb.

The pellets are supplied in 15kg bags (about 4€ a bag) - in the very cold (like now) a bag lasts about a day and a half and keeps the whole of the downstairs warm (we have no other heating.)

Spring or Autumn time when it's cold - but not very cold a bag will do two (or more) days.

The 'ash' ends up very fine (like cigarette ash) and really easy to clean - a small pull out tray.

We're really pleased with ours - it's made by 'STOVEItaly'.

Hope this helps.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
Shamrockez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
We have one here.

It's superb.

The pellets are supplied in 15kg bags (about 4Ä a bag) - in the very cold (like now) a bag lasts about a day and a half and keeps the whole of the downstairs warm (we have no other heating.)

Spring or Autumn time when it's cold - but not very cold a bag will do two (or more) days.

The 'ash' ends up very fine (like cigarette ash) and really easy to clean - a small pull out tray.

We're really pleased with ours - it's made by 'STOVEItaly'.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Brian, thatís great especially the make of burner as I wouldnít know which companies did good ones.

Iím used to the wood pellets as I use them as bedding for my horse. Bulk buying them would seem a good idea and I can use them for both.

At the moment Iím going through a hell of a lot of bottles of gas with the gas heating. I donít have the central heating on a lot either - just 2-3hrs a day!
Old 14-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:

At the moment Iím going through a hell of a lot of bottles of gas with the gas heating. I donít have the central heating on a lot either - just 2-3hrs a day!
Just to give you something to think about. Have you considered a tank?

Off the top of my head, bottled gas is around 90-100ppl, depending on bottle size. I would expect to pay less than 40ppl if you bought bulk (tank). If it's something you'd be interested in, I can probably come up with some suggestions to getting good ongoing deals.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Big Al

Trading feedback: (7)

My missus best friend business is wood burners. See if happy to pass number on?
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
crmalcolm
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Used Pellet Burners on a few occasions when we lived in Italy.
Seemed to generate a lot of heat, and performed very well in warming up fairly large rooms.
I was surprised with how easy it was to keep them clean, and how little waste there actually was.

The only drawback I found (on the ones we used) was the handling of the pellets in their bags/sacks.
Having to carry them into the house from the storage area (particularly frustrating when outside was freezing). Then having somewhere to store the bag near the burner (could be seen as an eyesore).
Finally, the filling of the burner. Each one we used was top filled, which meant either struggling to lift the bag, or using a scoop to decant the pellets.

Not major drawbacks, but I guess it depends on who will be handling the bags. It can be a challenge for some due to the size/weight, and a bag of pellets can be seen as less aesthetically pleasing as a stack of logs.
"I don't think about the miles that are coming down the road, I don't think about the mile I'm on right now, I don't think about the miles I've already covered. I think about what I'm doing right now, just being lost in the moment."
crmalcolm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Shamrockez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
Just to give you something to think about. Have you considered a tank?

Off the top of my head, bottled gas is around 90-100ppl, depending on bottle size. I would expect to pay less than 40ppl if you bought bulk (tank). If it's something you'd be interested in, I can probably come up with some suggestions to getting good ongoing deals.
Does a tank have to be underground? I have minimal storage space to keep one so it would have to be slim and not take up much more room than the bottles really (I have 4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
My missus best friend business is wood burners. See if happy to pass number on?
Donít suppose they are based in Somerset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Used Pellet Burners on a few occasions when we lived in Italy.
Seemed to generate a lot of heat, and performed very well in warming up fairly large rooms.
I was surprised with how easy it was to keep them clean, and how little waste there actually was.

The only drawback I found (on the ones we used) was the handling of the pellets in their bags/sacks.
Having to carry them into the house from the storage area (particularly frustrating when outside was freezing). Then having somewhere to store the bag near the burner (could be seen as an eyesore).
Finally, the filling of the burner. Each one we used was top filled, which meant either struggling to lift the bag, or using a scoop to decant the pellets.

Not major drawbacks, but I guess it depends on who will be handling the bags. It can be a challenge for some due to the size/weight, and a bag of pellets can be seen as less aesthetically pleasing as a stack of logs.
Thanks for the info. It would be me lugging there bags around - Iím used to that though as I use them as bedding for my horse - I guess I could bulk buy for both of them and use economy of scale to bring the price down for both.

Do they warm the room up pretty quick or take a while like a log burner?

Thanks all
Old 15-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Does a tank have to be underground? I have minimal storage space to keep one so it would have to be slim and not take up much more room than the bottles really (I have 4).
The tanks are like Wombles, underground or overground.

They don't even need to be near the property, I go to one that's about 30m above the roofline of a property, up a hill and some tanks are over 100m away.

An underground one will leave you with a green manhole cover about 700-800mm in diameter. Some put them in the front garden with a plant pot or bird bath on the cover. I've even seen some with decking over them and a trapdoor to access them.

Some are tiny 200/400L, not much bigger than the large bottles. The 1200L and 2000L are the most popular (1400L is an option too).

The bigger the tank, the better it is to get a deal, you don't need to fill them as often, so if you time it right and you've plenty of gas when your contract expires, then there's deals to be struck.. If it's nearing the end of the contract and you're running low, get a part fill. Don't get the autofill (telemetry) option or they'll just turn up, fill it and bill you. Basically, play the system.

The sizes I've posted are the fill limits, the tank's actual size is about 10-15% bigger.
Old 16-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Shamrockez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Ford View Post
The tanks are like Wombles, underground or overground.

They don't even need to be near the property, I go to one that's about 30m above the roofline of a property, up a hill and some tanks are over 100m away.

An underground one will leave you with a green manhole cover about 700-800mm in diameter. Some put them in the front garden with a plant pot or bird bath on the cover. I've even seen some with decking over them and a trapdoor to access them.

Some are tiny 200/400L, not much bigger than the large bottles. The 1200L and 2000L are the most popular (1400L is an option too).

The bigger the tank, the better it is to get a deal, you don't need to fill them as often, so if you time it right and you've plenty of gas when your contract expires, then there's deals to be struck.. If it's nearing the end of the contract and you're running low, get a part fill. Don't get the autofill (telemetry) option or they'll just turn up, fill it and bill you. Basically, play the system.

The sizes I've posted are the fill limits, the tank's actual size is about 10-15% bigger.
Hmm very interesting, thanks! What kind of cost would it be for an over ground and an underground one respectively? Say 1200l for both.
Old 16-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Hmm very interesting, thanks! What kind of cost would it be for an over ground and an underground one respectively? Say 1200l for both.
That's the part I don't have an idea about. I'm based in a cylinder depot, so don't have any bulk bosses or staff on site, just my wagon and the holding tanks. I've only met my direct boss four times in eighteen months and three of those days were courses. It's great!

This is all educated guesswork. A lot depends on the siting and if you're able to do any of the work yourself:

Above ground will be cheaper than below.

Nearer the property will be cheaper, less pipework and trench excavation and backfill.

Can you lay your own concrete slab, to sit it on?

Can you dig your hole and trench to put it in. Have you access to digger?

I doubt there's much price difference in tank size. A slightly bigger slab/hole will be needed, but all the kit and materials will be brought to site anyway. A bit more concrete or an extra thirty minutes digging a bigger hole won't bump the cost significantly, especially if you point this bit out to them when getting a quote.

If you live in an area with a high water table, an underground tank may 'float' when (nearly) empty. After all, it's a big, air-filled tank sitting underwater. It doesn't happen very often (99.9% don't), but it can. It will be fixed free of charge, it's not your fault, but you'll be gasless for a day or two, until they come out. Think of it as a pipe cracking on the mains gas network.

If I remember and I get the right sort of properties, I'll get a couple of photos over the weekend of different sized tanks.

If I turn up to refill your gas tank, it's tea, no sugar and a tiny bit of milk. A biscuit is nice, but not essential.

One last thing. The gas companies take a dim view if you decide to paint the tank to look like Thomas the Tank Engine. Google it!
Reply Post New Thread