LIDL Doom Bar - AVOID - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Offers

Offers Spotted cheap beer at Asda? 20% off toolkits at Halfords? Cheap DVDs at HMV? Let your brothers and sisters know about it. Only genuine (legal) offers. Please DO NOT use this forum to peddle your own wares. Forum available for sponsorship

Dub Tails VW Campervan Hire

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 14-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Default LIDL Doom Bar - AVOID

Sharp's brewery are close to my home and their beers are fantastic. Happy was I to see their bottled Doom Bar on offer in LIDL. I have tasted worse ale in forty years, but I really cannot remember when. Brewed by Molson Coors in Burton-upon-Trent, not by Sharp's in Rock, Cornwall. Avoid like COVID - it's vile!

Last edited by Beetlebank; 14-12-2020 at 04:59 PM..
Beetlebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
moogster
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

yes it does taste a bit odd.
moogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Duble agent V.W.Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

Rusty Ferret is another one. It tastes just like it sounds. Well not exactly , it tastes more like a decomposing Ferret and smells pretty much the same too!
Duble agent V.W.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
UKJim
Chat Virgin

On another note any of lidls ales worth going for or are they all a miss, any recommendations?
UKJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Beetlebank
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJim View Post
On another note any of lidls ales worth going for or are they all a miss, any recommendations?
Our local LIDL has an ever-changing array of good ales and you would likely have different selection. Some of their guest canned ales are surprisingly palatable so don't dismiss them out of hand as I used to. They have an excellent chocolate malt stout at the moment called Chokka Blokka and their small can Twisted Knots American IPA is interesting too. I enjoy cider too and their Woodgate made-in-Devon 6.0% scrumpy is fantastic value at 2.69 for four large cans.
Perhaps the best option is to do what I do - try them all! Annoyingly LIDL often omit the brewery, or even country, of origin and the very hardest beer to find is German lager. Ohh the irony...
Beetlebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
UKJim
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebank View Post
Our local LIDL has an ever-changing array of good ales and you would likely have different selection. Some of their guest canned ales are surprisingly palatable so don't dismiss them out of hand as I used to. They have an excellent chocolate malt stout at the moment called Chokka Blokka and their small can Twisted Knots American IPA is interesting too. I enjoy cider too and their Woodgate made-in-Devon 6.0% scrumpy is fantastic value at 2.69 for four large cans.
Perhaps the best option is to do what I do - try them all! Annoyingly LIDL often omit the brewery, or even country, of origin and the very hardest beer to find is German lager. Ohh the irony...
Cheers will do, I was asking as there lager and their wine is pretty good, but have not tried the ales
UKJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
moogster
Chat Slapper

Local LIDL to me in Loughborough sells The Amber Adder Ale. By the Hatherwood craft beer company. Its not half bad.
moogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
Duble agent V.W.Ford
Help! I'm trapped in here

If it's Ale you want, I can't recommend this stuff enough and not just because my ex comes from that town. They'll even post it to you. https://www.felinfoel.com/
Duble agent V.W.Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread