Engine Distributor replacement question - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
runningmonkey
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

Default Distributor replacement question

Hi all

Am just in the process of changing my vacuum advance dizzy for a 009.

Long story short, Iv had a real nightmare timing up the engine (1600TP) The only way I could get it to run nice was by setting the timing up at about 15 degree retarded. Which I thought was strange but it seem to run sweet so I just kept it like that. Fast-forward a few months, (this week in fact) and the car wouldn't start because I had lost spark.

So made the decisions to swap out the old vacuum advance for a new 009 that I had laying around in the garage.

Once I removed the old dizzy, I noticed that the D key (locator key? not sure if that the correct name) was in the wrong position. My understanding was that when the engine is at TDC the D key was parallel to the engine case. But mine is a offset. Is that correct?

PXL_20210216_173005435 by John Mills, on Flickr

The second part to this question is about the pulley wheel. There are little to no marking on the pulley. The only one I can find is a very small dimple which is the one Iv marked with white paint that sits to the left in the below picture. When the engine is at TDC the Dkey as mentioned above is off set, (above picture) however is I move the Dkey so it does run parallel to the engine case the TDC changes to the second white mark in this picture. I am a bit confuse as to weather the Dkey is in the correct place OR the mark on the pulley is wrong? Am sort of thinking the mark on the pulley maybe wrong as like Iv already mentioned when it was running before and I put the timing light on it, it seemed to be running at 15 degrees retarded.

PXL_20210216_173128439 by John Mills, on Flickr

Cheers in advance
runningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

OK, firstly changing out a SVDA distributor (assuming that's what you started with) for a 009 is not recommended for a road car, it will run worse.

Unless, of course, your original SVDA is shot, you have a good 009 kicking around and cannot afford or dont have time to get a replacement SVDA.
But for now I'll assume that you already know that.

So you have a pulley with uncertain timing marks, and maybe a distributor drive shaft that might not be fitted in the correct "factory" position.

Firstly, don't worry about the distributor drive shaft. If it's been fitted out of position then all that will mean is that your distributor will end up being twisted to a different angle and it won't "look right" - but that's something you can either live with or fix on a sunny day once you've sorted the engine running out. It won't affect the running of the engine once your timing is correct. Timing is set from the pulley wheel, not from the offset slot in the distributor drive shaft.

Next, you need to sort out your pulley timing marks firstly by finding TDC.
Some pulleys have a "dimple" on the rear edge (that's closest to you as you're looking at it) - and that denotes TDC.

V notches on the other side such as the one / two you have marked could mean anything, I wouldn't trust them until you have proved exactly what they are. Pulleys and other engine parts get swapped about over the years, you can't be sure if its original.

So see if you have a "dimple" thats the easy way. If not see this thread - https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1588915

As for timing the 009 have a look at this thread - https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1595919 - but there are plenty of others.

Good luck, let us know how you get on...

Dave.

Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 17-02-2021 at 09:56 PM..
Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
Bada Ben

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

As Mr Whippy said, the existing V notch marks on the pulley could mean anything. You will have to find actual TDC by another means then you can mark your pulley accordingly.
Here's a VW Workshop bulletin from December 1970 showing the available variations, (and this is just for T1 cars, there were even more for T2, other variations for crowned or recessed top pistons, and the marks continued to change after 1970) :

Old 18-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
max, Der Bahnstormerz
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

The TDC mark is the dimple on the pulley edge nearest the rear of the car, just to the right of the V notch you’ve highlighted.
max, Der Bahnstormerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
runningmonkey

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 19-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
veedweeb
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

I made a TDC finder out of an old spark plug by drilling out the middle and inserting a longer bolt to make a piston stop.

You insert it into Cyl 1 and rotate the engine until it hits the stop. Mark the pulley and rotate the engine the other way until it hits the stop and mark the pulley again. The point exactly halfway between your marks is TDC.

You're welcome to nip down the unit for it if you want?
veedweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #7
runningmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedweeb View Post
I made a TDC finder out of an old spark plug by drilling out the middle and inserting a longer bolt to make a piston stop.

You insert it into Cyl 1 and rotate the engine until it hits the stop. Mark the pulley and rotate the engine the other way until it hits the stop and mark the pulley again. The point exactly halfway between your marks is TDC.

You're welcome to nip down the unit for it if you want?
Sorted now, TDC was not the TDC. Iv never had this before. Am still not sure if the pulley is the wrong one, but she now up and purring like a kitten.
Reply Post New Thread