Volkszone Forum banner

Big jam. 15.6 quater mile

12K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  booton 
#1 ·
Finally got to bug jam this year. Wasn't confident in the 4 hour drive last year.
Just though I'd share my results with people thinking of doing the conversion.
My best was 15.6 car probably could do it quicker as it was my first time drag racing.
Conversion was a low mileage. Very good engine. Few small changes to improve performance. crossed the line at 85 mph.
Did the 1/8 of mile in 9.5.
In the process of .making lowered front beam. She to high.
Just though I'd share as I've not seen much info on the conversion in road car's

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah could get into 14 I think.
I had half tank if fuel. All my seats in etc.
Some sticker tyres.
And maybe some narrow tyres on front as I'm currently 225 around.
Might put a 50hp shot of nos just for 3rd gear.
Going to get a larger throttle body and airflow inlet.

#6 ·
Nos is a fairly expensive way to get a bit of power. You can (read I'm going to) turbo mine maybe over winter. You can realistically run 200 hp with a low boost on the standard Subaru engine without having to worry about it too much. And no.. it isn't cheaper and more reliable just to go wrx haha.

#9 ·
Nice one dude. Seems like there is so much to do when get to line until have done a few times.
I was at bugjam this year. Pulled a 70 hour rebuild week including an all nighter and had to spend the Friday replacing the wheel bearings rather than drinking beer at the pod! But it go there from bare bones to first show in 20 years! Crazy crazy week. I have an amazing wife for setting me free for a week too!
Unfortunately I pulled up for my one and only race (was 2pm sat b4 got to fire up road) and when brought up the revs the bloody handbrake didn't hold! Came off the gas and it went green arg! 2nd good. Then as I'd been piddling round with the gearbox mounts in the fire up loosened too much and couldn't get 3rd at all! Free wheeled to end from 2nd gear for a 21 second pass! Lol see you at action! :)

Btw why not just fit dropped spindles? You will lose that air above the tyre and keep your ride quality. Small price for slight increase in track.

#10 ·
Should have said hello.
Sorry u had a rough weekend. I didn't get there until 8pm as had to work that day then drive 4 hours there in beetle. With my mate behind in slow t5.
Car has drop spindles fitted. Due to my large 280mm discs and 16" wheels it originally sat higher.
But new beam needs to be fitted

#19 ·
Anyone else got any more proven stats with subaru conversion. Rolling road results. Track out comes. Other 1/4 mile results.
I think pound for pound the subaru conversion much better. Conversion cost me around 1k. Was 2 seconds faster than air cool guys spending 3k plus on engine.
AL house much how much u think u spent for ur 13 second car.
P.s I'm keeping my eye out for sti/wrx salvage car.

#22 ·
ne.
AL house much how much u think u spent for ur 13 second car.
P.s I'm keeping my eye out for sti/wrx salvage car.
About 10 years! Lol
Really is impossible to put a price on it as done do much DIY and over such a long time. The 091 gearbox was the single most expensive thing ive ever bought other than my house however and now stands me at about 4k after initial build and subsequent problems and rebuilds.

In hind sight I wish I'd looked into the Renault 5 box first!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.