midmount roverv8 4x4 bay - Page 5 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #41
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default this is off road

I would like to have the money to own 1 of these new to Australian Army
roverv8bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #42
forgotmepassword
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (3)

Looking good.
Any updates on this build?
forgotmepassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #43
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all. here some updates. I have been caught up with home reno's but I have managed to get the front spindles back from company doing all my machine work. I have changed direction so to speak with the steering I have swapped the Daewoo rack for an Audi rack. it is smaller lighter & easier to fit up. I had the Daewoo tierod arms cut & machined to use early Astra tierods fitted in place of the rubber bushes. The left hand short drive shaft is built using the Rodeo spline on 1 end & the slide in shaft out of a commodore diff centre. so heres a couple of pics

Left drive shaft.

this is the tierod hole out of the bus centre arm machined to fit into the rodeo spindle

fitted to spindle

the ring identify where the spindles were shortened & the vw ball joint holes inserted into the spindles I had to move the top holes over to bring them toward the wheel to square up the camber & put the camber adjuster in the bottom hole due to the lack of metal around the top

Last edited by roverv8bay; 14-11-2015 at 05:08 AM..

Old 14-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #44
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

More to come. the Audi rack sitting ready for mounting bracket template to be made. The right hand side end tube section will go into the inner chassis rail & be bolted through from outside rail with expansion tubes.

tierod arm

the fuel tank is long range Range Rover it sits nicely into engine bay

this is the engine box made up from 2 power boxes. A lot cheaper than having 1 made. It will be insulated inside with fibreglass bats & a second skin of aluminium sheeting the out side will be underfelt covered with marine carpet

this will be the air scoop for the intake side there will be a box mounted & sealed inside with the air filter inside it

The Holden Astra electric power steering pump in possible position

Last edited by roverv8bay; 14-11-2015 at 05:43 AM..
Old 26-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #45
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all. made a blank plate for the waterpump. the thermostat will mount near the electric pump in the bottom hose.
This is my other project while waiting for engineer to make me more stuff
. It will be trike using rover 3.5 on LPG & an Alfa Romeo GTV Alfetta auto transaxle with Di Dion suspension

Last edited by roverv8bay; 26-11-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #46
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all. & a Happy New Year. I started stripping out the dash assembly to make room for the frame to support E30 BMW manual pedal assemblies. on our Right hand drives the brake cylinder is on the left side of the firewall with a push pull rod behind the dash over to the pedal. I'm mounting it to a frame made out of 5cm x 5cm square tube I picked up for $2.00 each this will be cut the plates welded to the ends to fix to rivnuts fitted into the inner panels of the door pillars. They will provide more than adequate strength for the pedals. the body work behind the dash is pretty good 1 small leak that will be fixed when the screen is out.

This is the tube for the pedal mounting support frame

Sitting insitu with the aid of hose clamp around wiper motor

Now for a bit of off topic. I set the Di Dion in place under the Alfa auto to get an idea of location & clearance. I just have to trim the bottom of the bellhousing ring & make an angle bracket to bolt the front bush in. then some wheels too adjust the ride height by moving the tube up behind the diff. this build is so damn easy it would take me another week to have it running but have to rebuild the engine for it. running full LPG will make it a lot easier to get it registered

standard Alfa wheel for setting up the ride height

the straight L{G carbies

Last edited by roverv8bay; 17-01-2016 at 08:07 PM..
Old 13-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #47
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all. I have been doing a final set up on the front beam. I had to move the balljoint holes down in the bottom arms to gain some room between the BJ & the CV boot

Once the shafts were insitu they hit on the Shock absorbers. only solution was to move the bottoms forward 5cm's the spacer was a simple 5 x 5cm tube cut to length

once this was fitted up I found the stud was to short to get a nut on. This created the need for a tube nut with a 12mm x1.05 thread. Where to find one LOL. So it came down to making one the first thing was to find a usable nut. After looking through my nut collection I found a cyclone rod nut. it screwed 1/2 way on the tightened. I run a tap down it that skimmed the existing thread & allowed it to screw up. I then put a stud in it with a lock nut & run it in the bench drill while running the 4in grinder on it I got it down to size then linished it with a file & emery strip & then cut it length with a hacksaw.

this is the 1st one I made to rough to use but served the purpose

this is the better finished 2nd one

Last edited by roverv8bay; 13-02-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 24-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #48
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all I hope everyone is safe from this terrible virus. I have been in lockdown at home due to a dodgy heart & Lungs. Stay safe. I have been getting a bit done to the kombi lately I have decided to supercharge the engine. I'm currently assembling the front drive components. this will give you an idea of lift I'm aiming for another 2inches to help front wheel clearance.

Last edited by roverv8bay; 24-03-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Old 24-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #49
roverv8bay
Chat Virgin

G'day all. I hope all your families are safe from the virus. I have been in lockdown enforced by my wife. Due to age & dodgy Heart & lungs. Stay safe out there. A bit to catch up over the next few days I will post up some pics as to where I am up to. Starting with ride height. I hope to get another 2 to 4inches lift yet.
Reply Post New Thread