Max tolerances 1641 turbo - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum

JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum Into Hot Bugs, Drag Racing, F1, BTCC, Rallying, Performance Tuning, etc? In Here! Everyone welcome (not just Greenhearts) but please keep stuff on topic. Forum available for sponsorship

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
cliff green 1303
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Hi guys, finished the build of my turbo 1641cc and just waiting to get it mapped.

It's 8:1 comp with a counterweighted crank, an external oil cooler and t3 turbo with no chargecooler and was wondering what max oil temp, oil pressure, boost, IAT, CHT and rpm to run?

I drive it maybe 3-4 times a week for about an hour or so of spirited driving round town.
Thanks

Last edited by cliff green 1303; 26-08-2018 at 03:40 PM..
cliff green 1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
andy198712
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (4)

i think your IAT under boost will limit he boost you can run before it gets too hot and you get detonation. max oil temp, tricky one but modern oils are happy up to 150 in some situations although i would consider that hot on a beetle but thats just me...

RPM, that would depend on cam and valve train, you'll either be limited by flow or valve float

oil pressure.... its said 10psi per 1000 rpm is a good minimum to try and keep above

hope that helps?
andy198712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
cliff green 1303
Chat Slapper

Thanks, I've got dual valve springs does this shed any light on it? My oil temp sender is a deep sump so should I go for a lower oil temp as it is in the cooler part of the engine?
Do you know what IAT I should limit to?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
vwjo
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (2)

Oil temp max 230f oil in sump is hottest as just run of bearings etc back to sump but unless you measure it after cooler it will average very similar eveywhere
Intake temp max 260f
CHT, depends on where sender is and how accurate it is 350-400f
Boost 10-12psi is possible but everyday 7-8psi

RPM, until power drops off or just before valve float occurs, realistically for road driven engine shouldn't need to go above 6500rpm, what cam does it have?

Jo

https://www.facebook.com/RJVolksPerformance/?ref=hl

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoClifforduk

Living the dream, not just talking about it ;o)

11.56 @ 115 mph Speedworld, Arizona VW Nationals, November 2011
vwjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
cliff green 1303
Chat Slapper

Hi vwjo sorry for the late reply, yes the temp sender is in the sump and the cam is engle 110. Current limiter is set to 7k I believe. Thanks for the info
Old 27-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
sako
Chat Slapper

Hi cliff. I run a 2017cc EFI with a T3 11psi boost at present and a chargecooler ( radiator up front in spare wheel well ) in my bug. The radiator is 23" by 6" by 2" and I use an additive to help heat transfer, i have put a scoop to push air through the radiator. I also run two external oil cooler radiators with fans.
On a hot day on the M1 cruising at 70 - 80 mph and the odd run 100mph+ my max oil temp was 95c ( sender in deep sump ) , I never had to put the fans on, my intake was max 20c above ambient. I prop the bottom of the engine lid open about two inches and I have punched 6 large holes behind the rear number plate to get cool air into the engine bay.

I have found that heat control is the big issue with an rear engine air cooled turbo setup, the more oil temp control and cool air supplied to the engine bay is vital.
I also use standard black rocker covers to radiate heat outwards, i think the stainless ones may reflect heat back inwards.

If you need any extra info please ask mate.

Last edited by sako; 27-09-2018 at 01:42 PM..
sako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
cliff green 1303
Chat Slapper

Cheers buddy. I've got an external oil cooler with no fan under the rear luggage area. It's booked in for mapping end of October so I wanted a rough Idea of safe levels in case it does need better cooling and so that it doesn't get pushed to hard on the dyno.

Have you got any pictures of your chargecooler and radiator set up mate? I've struggled to find and pictures of radiator locations on a 1303
Old 28-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
sako
Chat Slapper

My bug isn't an 1303 but you can mount the radiator similar, some 1303 had a vented front panel for aircon. So you could cut some nice factory looking vents there ?
My chargecooler pump is mounted on the frame horn, it has to be low in the system and on the return/cool side to the chargecooler. Also the cool water goes into the chargecooler at the throttle body end. The bigger the coolant capacity the better, mine is about 5 litres in total, the chargecooler barrel should always be cool to the touch.
I would recommend fitting a fan to your oil cooler and get the cooler in a cool air flow. You need to be able to overcool the engine oil so as to avoid overheting etc.
sako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread