043 VW Mexico T1 Heads - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum

JG54 Cal-Look/Performance/Racing Forum Into Hot Bugs, Drag Racing, F1, BTCC, Rallying, Performance Tuning, etc? In Here! Everyone welcome (not just Greenhearts) but please keep stuff on topic. Forum available for sponsorship

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 27-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Dave Dorson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (4)

Default 043 VW Mexico T1 Heads

Are these still the ones to get for a small fast road engine then?

At the weekend I managed to snag a set of them, completely by accident, with a few other bits.

From memory these are excellent for cooling, and respond well to a bit of fettling and cleaning up, three angle valve cut and some stainless valves to boot.

Or did I imagine that?
Old 29-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
JMP
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
Are these still the ones to get for a small fast road engine then?

At the weekend I managed to snag a set of them, completely by accident, with a few other bits.

From memory these are excellent for cooling, and respond well to a bit of fettling and cleaning up, three angle valve cut and some stainless valves to boot.

Or did I imagine that?
I've got a set of Mexican 043 heads from the states but they have been heavily welded then ported 94mm, 37cc, 44mm by 37mm SS valves, 3-angle valve job, titanium retainers and CB dual springs etc. Great performance from them

but back to your question as long as there are no cracks between the valves guides or spark plugs they will be a great set of heads for modifying/fettling with. Regarding better cooling over other heads, I couldn't comment on that as not seen any thermal efficiency test comparisons between the various original vw heads, so you may of imagined that bit

12.8 @ 102.8 mph. Street trim - all steel, full interior, belt, treads and muffler.
0-60 3.99 secs

My 64 Build
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Dave Dorson

Not had a chance to properly clean them up but there's no visible cracks that I can see in them, all the fins are good, the plugs came out OK, and the exhaust studs aren't broken or stripped so I think I'll get them cleaned up.

Doing some reading, they're probably the best starting point for what I wanted to build up. I've got a nice German stock crank and some other bits and bobs, and a 1200 late 70's engine that I was going to tear down and inspect the case, then look at a mild 1776 build up with full tin, full flow cooling, something like a 110 Engle cam. Basically a "stock plus" with a set of twin carbs and a decent exhaust.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
JMP
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
Not had a chance to properly clean them up but there's no visible cracks that I can see in them, all the fins are good, the plugs came out OK, and the exhaust studs aren't broken or stripped so I think I'll get them cleaned up.

Doing some reading, they're probably the best starting point for what I wanted to build up. I've got a nice German stock crank and some other bits and bobs, and a 1200 late 70's engine that I was going to tear down and inspect the case, then look at a mild 1776 build up with full tin, full flow cooling, something like a 110 Engle cam. Basically a "stock plus" with a set of twin carbs and a decent exhaust.
Sounds like you have done well with those heads then should be a sweet little motor once built! - If your using a stock crank and having to get the case and heads machined for 1776, why not go 94mm - 1915cc ??

12.8 @ 102.8 mph. Street trim - all steel, full interior, belt, treads and muffler.
0-60 3.99 secs

My 64 Build
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Dave Dorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Sounds like you have done well with those heads then should be a sweet little motor once built! - If your using a stock crank and having to get the case and heads machined for 1776, why not go 94mm - 1915cc ??
Everything else on the car would need going over and upgrading if I was to go much above stock, and I want to keep it cool and reliable.

it's running 165 80 tyres out back 145 80 up front, and I don't want to go wider as the wheels aren't a brilliant offset, with a stock beam and stock 1500 disc brakes, cofap oil shocks etc.

Basically, I just really want it to be a bit more, but not much more.

Cool running, reliable, but fun is really the key.