slough swapmeet - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
dubwise
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Default slough swapmeet

so last weekend saw the return of slough swapmeet to the new location of newbury racecourse.

did you go? if so what did you think of it?

it's great to see events like this going from strength to strength in this age of online selling platforms. a few years ago it looked like it might be the end as it struggled to fill the montem sport centre with both traders and buyers.
now it's spread out over two floors and attracting people from all over the uk and europe to buy and sell.

top job by the organisers in making it what it is today, the scene needs more of this, in my opinion.

as convenient as it can be to sit at home clicking buttons, sometimes you've got to get your hands dirty and have a rummage
dubwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Danny Lord
People know me

Trading feedback: (2)

It's a great venue, glad it wasn't at the sports centre with other people using it and clogging up the car park, I was selling Type 3 junk downstairs, bought some stuff, sold some stuff, spoke to loads of people, half of which I couldn't remember their names!

40 for a table, can't really go wrong with that, steady stream of people through the door all day, didn't get time to look round the car park, but see a few pictures on facebook, looked like there was aircooled only parking which is great,

Top work by the organisers Vince, Robin and the other team members

https://www.facebook.com/danny.lord....=3&pnref=story

Notchback facebook group ....... https://www.facebook.com/groups/327056744047848/
Danny Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
dubwise

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Lord View Post
It's a great venue, glad it wasn't at the sports centre with other people using it and clogging up the car park, I was selling Type 3 junk downstairs, bought some stuff, sold some stuff, spoke to loads of people, half of which I couldn't remember their names!

40 for a table, can't really go wrong with that, steady stream of people through the door all day, didn't get time to look round the car park, but see a few pictures on facebook, looked like there was aircooled only parking which is great,

Top work by the organisers Vince, Robin and the other team members
agree with you on the venue, really a step up from montem sports centre (anything that means i don't have to go to slough is a good thing! )

was good to see you, sorry it was so brief, had quite a bit of stuff to lug upstairs and set up. it was a great turn out all round.

managed to grab a few bargains, clear out some stuff i no longer need and catch up with poeple i've not seen in months.

hopefully it's a viable venue for the future, and it can become established there.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Orby1
Saddest VZi'er 2019

Trading feedback: (1)

I really enjoyed it, I think the new venue is miles better (even Bracknell wasn't really big enough, I thought) and the air-cooled only parking was a good idea for us who like to peruse the car park.
One thing though - how long can they go on calling it Slough Swapmeet? I think if it settles in at Newbury surely we can start calling it Newbury Swapmeet? Even 'NotSlough Swapmeet' is better!
It was good to see a few old faces like has been mentioned above, you can't do that from behind a keyboard (even if they can't remember your name ) and getting your hands greasy rummaging around is a great way to spend a Sunday.
I won the organisers' choice prize too! I was well chuffed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191110_135439014_HDR.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	270823  

www.wolfsburgweedhuggers.co.uk/
Orby1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
dubwise

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orby1 View Post
I really enjoyed it, I think the new venue is miles better (even Bracknell wasn't really big enough, I thought) and the air-cooled only parking was a good idea for us who like to peruse the car park.
One thing though - how long can they go on calling it Slough Swapmeet? I think if it settles in at Newbury surely we can start calling it Newbury Swapmeet? Even 'NotSlough Swapmeet' is better!
It was good to see a few old faces like has been mentioned above, you can't do that from behind a keyboard (even if they can't remember your name ) and getting your hands greasy rummaging around is a great way to spend a Sunday.
I won the organisers' choice prize too! I was well chuffed!
the aircooled parking was definitely a move in the right direction. plenty of people seem to moan about the amount of t4's & t5's that are taking over a lot of events these days, and having a rows of aircooleds definitely makes for more interesting car parks and photo opportunities.

it's a tricky one on the name. when an event has been as established as long as this one has, to just ditch the "brand" isn't always the best option. vw action went through quite a few locations before settling into it's groove.
although i can see that having the location in your name can cause issues!! i quite like the notslough swapmeet as a name

congrats on winning a prize!
Old 15-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Orby1
Saddest VZi'er 2019

Trading feedback: (1)

Yeah you're right about 'ditching the brand', you have to be careful. NotSlough Swapmeet was a bit of fun but the more I think about it the more I quite like it! It keeps Slough in the title, acknowledges it's not actually Slough anymore, and it's tongue in cheek and has real humour in it!
Maybe after it's settled in there it could become 'Newbury Swapmeet', but for a couple of years I'm voting for NotSlough.

www.wolfsburgweedhuggers.co.uk/
Orby1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 01:19 AM   #7
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Glad to hear/read that the 'move' was successful.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
type3

Trading feedback: (10)

Good day out. Bit further to travel for me but well worth it. Caught up with quite a few people, easy to park and good to wander around the aircooled parking.
type3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
tman
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

I haven't been to Slough for ages, definitely not since it 'changed hands', and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality and quantity of aircooled parts on sale.
'Slough' still attracts what I fondly call "The european contingent" of vendors, some of those folks I haven't seen trading at UK shows for a few years now.

I hope that everyone who made the effort to haul their wares there and trade had a good day.

As well as the traders, I'd also like to thank the organisers, marshals etc. for putting on a great event.

Gertie <3.
Binz POS
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
anth419
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orby1 View Post
the air-cooled only parking was a good idea for us who like to peruse the car park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
the aircooled parking was definitely a move in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by type3 View Post
good to wander around the aircooled parking.
It would be a great benefit to Volksworld if the organisers see your posts and do something similar.

anth419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread