Need Mechanic South Croydon - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Jobs For The Boys (& Girls)

Jobs For The Boys (& Girls) Positions Vacant and Jobs Wanted. If you have an opening, post your job ad here. If you have lost your job or on the look out for a new job, place your CV or wanted ad here. Also, if you need a freelancer, contractor or want to commission some work, this is the place. NO TOUTING, USE YELLOW PAGES. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
GeeBee
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamBam View Post
problem. I am going to give South London VW's a try, that is if they are still going.

If you do speak to him could you chase up m,y quote for work, I think ist only been about 18 months, 2 years now. I gave up chasing him after the 20 time...

Maybe he dosnt need the work....

GB

Check out my 67's restoration - www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=334376
GeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
monkeyonboard
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESUS View Post
from my experience i have ssen lots of vehicles coming from south london vdubs that suffer SERIOUS issues within a week or so and the work seems to have either been wrongly or just inadequately done. I wouldn't mention this but have seen a few brake failures after this garage has worked on them!!!

Phil is my first choice outa the three Stu suggested, Honest Trustworthy and a fair price!
I know others have been less than happy with SLVW, but I have never had a single problem. Just speaking as I find.

I would second a recommendation for Phil's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
If you do speak to him could you chase up m,y quote for work, I think ist only been about 18 months, 2 years now. I gave up chasing him after the 20 time...

Maybe he dosnt need the work....

GB
He can be a funny fucker sometimes, but he has had some up's and downs in the last 18mths.
monkeyonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #23
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombilove View Post
hi,,have you sorted your car out yet?
all sorted (although stil need to brake conversion sorting) -

Pete Nice spent a day sorting out a few things and now running perfectly, had to replace a clutch that () Airfix had fitted only a matter of months ago, I now have working brakes and the engine is running sweet - Aircooled Technics = top top man.

Now I'm orf ta Goodwood to give her a proper run out.
SlamBam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #24
monkeyonboard

Quote:
all sorted (although stil need to brake conversion sorting) -

Pete Nice spent a day sorting out a few things and now running perfectly, had to replace a clutch that () Airfix had fitted only a matter of months ago, I now have working brakes and the engine is running sweet - Aircooled Technics = top top man.

Now I'm orf ta Goodwood to give her a proper run out.
have a good day

what happened to the clutch?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #25
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyonboard View Post
have a good day

what happened to the clutch?

Goodwood was smashing - great day.

The clutch that Pete took out of the car was in pieces. As he picked it up in front of me 4 of the 6 rivet heads fell off from under where the arms are attached. Springs from the arms all over the place. We thought it was the release bearing that was the problem but that was fine and it was the clutch that was goosed! Surprising as it was supposed to be a new one only 2 months ago.

So we had to get another new clutch and Pete sorted it out. The clutch cable had been over adjusted by quite a bit and I'm now not certain it was a new clutch at all.

I'm quite pissed off about it all as I also paid for a full engine service. What I received amounted to an oil change, points & plugs. Fair to say it won't be going back.

Great service from Pete though, spent a full day sorting it all out and showed me a few basic things about servicing it myself. V.pleased - although broke down on the way to Goodwood as part of the arm off the carb snapped and I lost throttle. Borrowed some tools from a local and got to Goodwood, later I acquired a hex nut from one of the mechanics in the paddock to secure the throttle cable to get us home.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #26
monkeyonboard

Quote:
Goodwood was smashing - great day.

The clutch that Pete took out of the car was in pieces. As he picked it up in front of me 4 of the 6 rivet heads fell off from under where the arms are attached. Springs from the arms all over the place. We thought it was the release bearing that was the problem but that was fine and it was the clutch that was goosed! Surprising as it was supposed to be a new one only 2 months ago.

So we had to get another new clutch and Pete sorted it out. The clutch cable had been over adjusted by quite a bit and I'm now not certain it was a new clutch at all.

I'm quite pissed off about it all as I also paid for a full engine service. What I received amounted to an oil change, points & plugs. Fair to say it won't be going back.

Great service from Pete though, spent a full day sorting it all out and showed me a few basic things about servicing it myself. V.pleased - although broke down on the way to Goodwood as part of the arm off the carb snapped and I lost throttle. Borrowed some tools from a local and got to Goodwood, later I acquired a hex nut from one of the mechanics in the paddock to secure the throttle cable to get us home.
good to hear you got sorted out, eventually.

What carb are you running? I have a spare carb that I am keeping for bits, you would be welcome to pop round and see if you can get the replacement for the bit that broke.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #27
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

The arm that is connected to the spring has a u shaped ending which snapped on the way to Goodwood yesterday.

I can't for the life of me get the arm to return on it's own and therefore idle correctly. tried the spring and idle adjust to no end.

The car idles too high/the throttle sticks open and I have to pull the arm back manually to get it to idle at low revs.

Pete had the same problem the other day and only just managed to get it sorted but with thar now snapping it seems to have gone back to the same prob. I have thrown on 3 washers and a hex nut to hold the barrel in tight that the grub screw goes into but still the arm won't return to the correct spot.

???
Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #28
monkeyonboard

do you know what carb you are running? or if you want to take a pic and stick it up here I will look and see if it is the same as mine.

If its the same you can have the bits to fix yours.

I am just down the road in carshalton so you are welcome to pop round and have a look.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
SlamBam
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyonboard View Post
do you know what carb you are running? or if you want to take a pic and stick it up here I will look and see if it is the same as mine.

If its the same you can have the bits to fix yours.

I am just down the road in carshalton so you are welcome to pop round and have a look.

progressive weber.

Here we go:

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=569235

I am going to have a go at shortening the spring when I get home, failing that I'm thinking that maybe I need to get a new plate fabricated that stands off the carb/further away. Not sure where to go for this though.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #30
monkeyonboard

the carb I have is a solex/brosol one so probably no good
Reply Post New Thread