aston martin style kitcar - Page 3 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #21
hannahman58
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (4)

I remember the Capri based one, never seen a completed one worth a toss in the 10 years I attended the kit car circuits.
This one looks very interesting, although miles away from ever hitting the road.
hannahman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #22
Sam Jelfs
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old bug racer View Post
in the same vein I really really really like these , http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3819098051...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
hmm... and I happen to have a spare rolling chassis which is only 1" longer in wheelbase.
Sam Jelfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
Horrido

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Jelfs View Post
hmm... and I happen to have a spare rolling chassis which is only 1" longer in wheelbase.
Get you...Jay Gatsby!

Have you seen James Hetfields kustom version...

Dressed like a priest you was
Tod brownings freak you was
Horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #24
Munky King
Seasoned Chat Slut

Aston, Bentley and Mercedes are really hot to trot on copies or replicas of their cars.

Bentley have taken people to court in the US and stamped all over them. One of the Bentley replica guys went on to build his own designed car and it appeared in the new Suicide Squad movie as Jokers car.

Aston send nice letters for anything other than home builds (which if your not selling it as an Aston they can't do much about.)

Mercedes as you've seen don't mess about either. They even recently managed to trademark 'gullwing' after years of fighting for it.

Lambo shut down a number of replica companies in the 90s.

Strangely, Ferrari doesn't seem quite so vigilant and nor does Porsche. Think of all the 356 replicas they could come and crush if they wanted too...
Munky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #25
Mr.Orange

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
Aston, Bentley and Mercedes are really hot to trot on copies or replicas of their cars.

Bentley have taken people to court in the US and stamped all over them. One of the Bentley replica guys went on to build his own designed car and it appeared in the new Suicide Squad movie as Jokers car.

Aston send nice letters for anything other than home builds (which if your not selling it as an Aston they can't do much about.)

Mercedes as you've seen don't mess about either. They even recently managed to trademark 'gullwing' after years of fighting for it.

Lambo shut down a number of replica companies in the 90s.

Strangely, Ferrari doesn't seem quite so vigilant and nor does Porsche. Think of all the 356 replicas they could come and crush if they wanted too...
What actual harm is caused to the factory by the production of replicas? All it does is bring attention to the brand.

Mercedes, Lamborgini et al, are not going to be producing the old models anytime soon, and the original cars won't lose any value.

Personally, I'd be slightly flattered that one of my 50+ year old designs was considered worthy of copying.
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #26
Munky King
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post
What actual harm is caused to the factory by the production of replicas? All it does is bring attention to the brand.

Mercedes, Lamborgini et al, are not going to be producing the old models anytime soon, and the original cars won't lose any value.

Personally, I'd be slightly flattered that one of my 50+ year old designs was considered worthy of copying.
I'd be flattered too. Though it makes you wonder if Mercedes is thinking of doing what Jag and Aston are currently doing. Making their own replicas!
Munky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #27
old bug racer
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

when ive been to kitcar shows the manufactures often put black tape over the badges, which suggests to me the car itself is ok but using lambo or similar copy badges isn't.

I don't think Lamborghini really bothered to much about copies of older models but audi their parent company do about modern car copies
Ferrari as said don't seem to bothered about copies.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #28
dc66
I'm not an addict... honest!

A few years ago the guy I work with was asked to make some replica Bugatti Atlantic wings. This was before vw bought Bugatti. That car will never be seen thanks to the Bugatti family!.....
dc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #29
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Looks like it didn't sell at 7,613.00. (Reserve not met.)

Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #30
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange View Post

It's all about protecting the brand. Imagine how pissed off you would be that every time you took your mint original AC cobra for a drive,with everyone asking if you built it yourself ?