Diabetes - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
smull
Retired Mr.Vzi

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (25)

Unhappy Diabetes

Perhaps unsurprisingly my lifestyle has finally caught up with me and I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (the one that tubby people get) this week.

To indirectly quote Alan Partridge, 'You’ve not witnessed pure evil until you’ve looked into the eyes of a woman who’s just told you that you have to cut down on cake'.

Inevitably there are going to be VZiers with diabetes so....who are ya and what do you eat? I won't pretend I'm not a little overwhelmed by what I can & can't eat and the (sometimes conflicting) advice out there. I love food but yesterday I ate hardly anything because I just didn't know what to eat for the best. Obviously, that can't continue.

Ironically, my diagnosis comes at a time that I was being more mindful of what I ate and have lost 16lbs since early January. Still, what's done is done and now I'm a 'sugar p*sser' (as 1302 so eloquently put it on fb ) I need to pick myself up and sort myself out for the sake of my future.

Over to you oh wonderful Vzi for help and advice.

Cheers,
Andy

https://www.facebook.com/fatpugcreative/

Range of Christmas, Birthday & Greetings Cards now available from my eBay store:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fatpuggre...p2047675.l2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twon View Post
No man is an island. Except Barry. Barry Island is an island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happystamps View Post
Not wanting to be a cunt, and I know it's a quote, but...

Barry Island is a peninsula.
smull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

You can't sugar coat the solution mate

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Really sorry to hear this fella - Both my brother and Sister have it, both have spent the last few years cutting down on eating shit, and both have lost tons of weight and feel much better, - they look much better too!
So, good luck mate - there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, and with the right diet you could look like your hero Andy in no time
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
jap
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (0)

I'm a insulin controlled diabetic, have been for 15+ years, I have some "complications (loss of feeling in my feet, eyesight plays up, and a few personal ones that I'd prefer to not mention on a public forum), I can eat whatever I want tho as I have a jab to sort it, was diagnosed and then left for over a year running +33 so that's what probably helped on the way to the complications, but I remember when first diagnosed spending hours in Tesco reading what carbs where in what and coming out with a empty basket.
Are you diet controlled or tablet?

Oh I just got a new meter that the sensor sticks on the back of my arm for 2 weeks and tells you what your levels were for the last 8 hour and you can also do a instant scan to see what your levels are at a particular time, I liked it so much I got my 20 year old son one, only problem is it's not available via prescription (free if your on tablets or insulin) and expensive,

Also the docs seem to want to put you on every tablet available (blood pressure, cholesterol and kidney) BUT READ THE SIDE EFFECTS

Last edited by jap; 11-02-2017 at 01:48 PM..
jap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
lambchippy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Sorry to hear this Andy
I was diagnosed type 2 back in 2008. I was ok with diet and exercise for the first 3 years, this is when I was told I would have to go on tablets. They worked well, but I did struggle with metformin as they can upset your stomach. I then went on to a slow release version. All was reasonably stable until July this year, my blood tests showed that the tablets were not enough to keep my blood sugars in check. I was getting readings of 33 mm0/L which is not good. So now I'm on slow release insulin. 40 units once a day and it's now in check. You do get good care and advice from the diabetic teams, also look at diabetes uk website, lots of help on there, if you do what the diabetic team say, you should not have too much of a problem. TBH the best thing for it is exercise, so dust off them running trainers. Feel free to contact me if you ever need a chat😊
lambchippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

The good news Andy is that type 2 diabetes doesn't have to be permanent.

There are plenty of cases where people have addressed their diet and exercise regime and found that their diabetes has gone away.

The fact that you have the mental strength and determination to run five marathons tells me you have the ability to kick the shit out of this.

Can't help you with the diet, but wanted to encourage you not to be beaten by it.

Last Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
dragster172

Trading feedback: (2)

Low carb- higher protein and good fat.

Basically- none of the nice stuff.
Karmann Colorado
Team Footwear™
Renault 5 GT Turbo
dragster172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Just get a 14" pizza instead of a 16" one.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
lambchippy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Slimming world do a specific diet for diabetes😜
lambchippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Triumph View Post
The good news Andy is that type 2 diabetes doesn't have to be permanent.

There are plenty of cases where people have addressed their diet and exercise regime and found that their diabetes has gone away.

The fact that you have the mental strength and determination to run five marathons tells me you have the ability to kick the shit out of this.

Can't help you with the diet, but wanted to encourage you not to be beaten by it.

This ^^^

There's a lot in the "mindset and motivation" with type 2 diabetes.

Just think; all the money you save on crisps would buy you a very tidy Allegro...