Mopeds - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
pedalcarjoe
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Default Mopeds

I decided to start a moped thread as the electric bicycle thread seems to be getting bogged down with mopeds.

So here we go,
there seems to be a very healthy interest in mopeds so I'll kick this thread off with a few I have owned in the past and were bought for what I considered to be sensible money at the time.

I've had quite of few of the Honda 50cc mopeds over the years and rather a lot of Monkey Bikes but that is a whole new thread
these are probably the best two pedal versions I have had

these two Hondas came from the same family.
the blue one was an exercise in spending a small fortune on NOS parts and I shudder to think of the total spend was
I think it should have had white mudguards to be 100% correct but the blue ones were NOS and it didn't bother me too much
another one I should have kept

Last edited by pedalcarjoe; 09-11-2017 at 05:15 PM..
pedalcarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
dubwise

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalcarjoe View Post
I decided to start a moped thread as the electric bicycle thread seems to be getting bogged down with mopeds.
good call.

i'm guilty as charged on side tracking the other thread, although it's a bit of a toss up as to which route (petrol or electric) glen should go. i'm trying to keep him on the dark side of fossil fuels!

i need to sort out a picture hosting account and i'll show you my moped hall of shame fame
dubwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

this one is one you don't see that often

a Clark Scamp

this one was a NOS / unregistered machine.

I had actually gone to look at a two different machines and failed on both and I did the throw away comment "what is that orange thing"
two hours later I owned it

Last edited by pedalcarjoe; 09-11-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
good call.

i'm guilty as charged on side tracking the other thread, although it's a bit of a toss up as to which route (petrol or electric) glen should go. i'm trying to keep him on the dark side of fossil fuels!

i need to sort out a picture hosting account and i'll show you my moped hall of shame fame
cheers, I wasn't sure about starting a new thread

I think it makes sense if a few more guys join in
Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:

I have managed to make a couple of ebay purchases

So here we go,
there seems to be a very healthy interest in mopeds so I'll kick this thread off with a few I have owned in the past and were bought for what I considered to be sensible money at the time.

I've had quite of few of the Honda 50cc mopeds over the years and rather a lot of Monkey Bikes but that is a whole new thread

the blue one was an exercise in spending a small fortune on NOS parts and I shudder to think of the total spend was
I think it should have had white mudguards to be 100% correct but the blue ones were NOS and it didn't bother me too much
Are they PC50's ? My first bike was a PC50...I paid £2.50 for it in about 1986...
Old 09-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
YoungGolf
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:

I have managed to make a couple of ebay purchases

So here we go,

When I was living in Cambodia my girlfriend really, really wanted a moped (or scooter as they call them there) in this style. Unfortunately all we could afford was a Honda Wave which is a good machine but no where near as nice to look at.
YoungGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

yes they are PC50's

not really a moped in the true sense but this came from the same guy who I bought the Scamp off
a Hiawatha Doodlebug more of a weird small scooter / bike

Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
dubwise

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
this one is one you don't see that often

a Clark Scamp

this one was a NOS / unregistered machine.

I had actually gone to look at a two different machines and failed on both and I did the throw away comment "what is that orange thing"
two hours later I owned it
yup, never seen one of those before

Quote:
cheers, I wasn't sure about starting a new thread

I think it makes sense if a few more guys join in
definitely, the more the merrier!

Quote:
not really a moped in the true sense but this came from the same guy who I bought the Scamp off
a Hiawatha Doodlebug more of a weird small scooter / bike

not seen that before either. it's good to see unusual stuff. the trouble is all the unusual stuff seems to go for silly money these days.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
dubwise

VZi Member Sponsor

here's some pictures of my current mopeds..

nothing exotic or particularly exciting, but they were cheap!

bought this for my girlfriend to scoot about on, but she chickened out so it's in my garage awaiting a top end rebuild.

this is my daily, it's proved to be very reliable and great value.

picked this up locally for £40. i'm currently trying to search out a doner bike so that i can bring it back to life.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #10
GlenAnderson
I'm not an addict... honest!

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

My ears are burning!

Is this where all the cool kids with mums that let them have mopeds hang out?

As we know, Iím currently havering as to which way to jump. Had a few Ďpeds, several Maxis, a C100 Honda, several C50s and 90s, an SS50, an old Peugeot 102 to name a few.

Currently my retro tiddlers are a 1953 125cc D1 Bantam, and a 1956 150cc D3. The D1 is rideable, the D3 wants a bit of love. Plan is to rebuild a 175cc D14/4 engine Iíve had in the shed thirty years and fit it to the D3, then rebuild the D3 engine and put it into the D1. Hopefully it will make both bikes more useable without spoiling their charm.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43EEDE08-5E94-42F4-9BA0-E8BC1A70C672.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	216569   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EA48E93-42F5-4336-929B-A3435E177A4A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	216577  

Last edited by GlenAnderson; 10-11-2017 at 05:28 AM..
GlenAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread