The Car & Classic Thread 2019. Something Completely Different! - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
Last Triumph
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

How about this little 6,400 mile cherry...?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-600-...wAAOSwX61ZD3ZY

Last Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Triumph View Post
And now with our toes wet, we can now enjoy some of Stuttgart's finest V8 manual transportation...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...0AAOSwDaBcKfFX

Wheels would have to go (obs).
I have to agree they just do nothing for the car,
well actually they do, they make it look bloody awful IMHO and spoil a perfectly nice looking car.
Thankfully he still has the original wheels for a new owner

I'm not a Porsche fan by any means mainly because I was lucky enough to get them out of my system many years ago.

Having read some of the ebay description why would it need 3 cooling fans ?
Another question for you Porsche guru's , what do you think about the asking price / mileage ?
pedalcarjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-600-...wAAOSwX61ZD3ZY

I guess in today's crazy classic car prices that is not too bad for an original car but having said that I know very little about Fiat prices.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalcarjoe View Post

Having read some of the ebay description why would it need 3 cooling fans ?
Another question for you Porsche guru's , what do you think about the asking price / mileage ?
Price and mileage are fine. Condition trumps mileage 10 times out of 10 unless the car is a time warp special. That ^ one isn't, albeit very nice.

The reason behind the aluminium radiator is because the 928 radiator is a monstrously expensive item to replace at circa 2k a go, for three reasons.

1) They contain the oil cooler so are more complex than a traditional radiator.

2) It's a Porsche only part so they can charge what they like.

3) On top of already expensive Porsche parts prices, 928 parts are subject to an additional 928 tax because the car was aimed at Porsche's most wealthy clientele who at the time, were deemed able to stomach eye wateringly expensive parts, above and beyond what many might consider reasonable - hence so many are poorly maintained and run on an absolute shoe string. Pretty much any Porsche part unique to the 928 is mind bendingly expensive. A parts thirsty car can make a 911 resto look cheap by comparison, according to the few who have attempted such on the Rennlist forums.

Symptoms of a blow head gasket result when the two fluids mix in the failed radiator.

The popular fix is to replace with a generic aluminium radiator for the engine coolant only, and then fit an aftermarket and separate oil cooler which would typically require it's own fan, hence the third one mentioned.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #15
pedalcarjoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Price and mileage are fine. Condition trumps mileage 10 times out of 10 unless the car is a time warp special. That ^ one isn't, albeit very nice.

The reason behind the aluminium radiator is because the 928 radiator is a monstrously expensive item to replace at circa 2k a go, for three reasons.

1) They contain the oil cooler so are more complex than a traditional radiator.

2) It's a Porsche only part so they can charge what they like.

3) On top of already expensive Porsche parts prices, 928 parts are subject to an additional 928 tax because the car was aimed at Porsche's most wealthy clientele who at the time, were deemed able to stomach eye wateringly expensive parts, above and beyond what many might consider reasonable - hence so many are poorly maintained and run on an absolute shoe string. Pretty much any Porsche part unique to the 928 is mind bendingly expensive. A parts thirsty car can make a 911 resto look cheap by comparison, according to the few who have attempted such on the Rennlist forums.

Symptoms of a blow head gasket result when the two fluids mix in the failed radiator.

The popular fix is to replace with a generic aluminium radiator for the engine coolant only, and then fit an aftermarket and separate oil cooler which would typically require it's own fan, hence the third one mentioned.
Thanks Andy for that explanation / insight into 928's

another car to come off my bucket list
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #16
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalcarjoe View Post
Thanks Andy for that explanation / insight into 928's

another car to come off my bucket list

I love them - the shape is just timeless and gorgeous (to me).

They are expensive to maintain properly, but most exotics are - Lamob, Ferrari etc. It's only the accessibility of the 928 and Porsche as a brand in general that has them perceived as another 924/944 type of 'cheap Porsche' when the opposite is true.

They were meticulously well engineered in an almost money no object fashion, well ahead of their time, but with running costs similar to other cars of their type.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #17
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-GT-c...wAAOSwyodb5eYN

Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #18
Orby1
Saddest VZi'er 2019

Trading feedback: (1)

Quote:

I'd love this! There's one lives just round the corner from me - it broke down outside our house once and I helped the guy push it home . I really like it though - I love these very basic, utilitarian classics. I'd draw a line at the disabled-mobile thing above, but I do see its attraction.
I'm surprised to see you post this Andy. Me and Glen were admiring an old trabby on the last thread, amongst other standard basic vehicles and you called it 'reverse snobbery' to like them - which I found a bit patronising if I'm honest.

www.wolfsburgweedhuggers.co.uk/
Orby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #19
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orby1 View Post
I'd love this! There's one lives just round the corner from me - it broke down outside our house once and I helped the guy push it home . I really like it though - I love these very basic, utilitarian classics. I'd draw a line at the disabled-mobile thing above, but I do see its attraction.
I'm surprised to see you post this Andy. Me and Glen were admiring an old trabby on the last thread, amongst other standard basic vehicles and you called it 'reverse snobbery' to like them - which I found a bit patronising if I'm honest.
Didn't mean to patronise dude . I like the Fiat because of it's chic, it has an elegance and beauty about it's style that I can appreciate.

Last edited by Last Triumph; 02-01-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
alfie the monster

Trading feedback: (0)

This looks nice, love a detailed advert...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312243959213?ul_noapp=true
alfie the monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread