End of an Era - last flight of RAF Tornado - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Reply Post New Thread

Old 28-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #11
mr slug
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Burrows View Post
Back in the day (60s) there were a few about - mostly Ford or BMC straight 4s like this one . . .

Today they would need a full frame/chassis with a proper 'roll cage' over the driver's head etc.

That is lovely
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
Last Triumph

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (8)

A family friend used to fly F3s and said they were a wonderful platform, much loved by all pilots, unlike the Typhoon that is apparently 'challenged'.

He now fly's a desk at Whitehall so it's all relative I guess.
Last Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

I reckon a Beetle engine would solve a lot of ‘problems’ with cooling etc.

This has an air cooled H O engine,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C6CEACB-725A-4D12-AFD7-07D0DAC9C7F0.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	260853  
Old 28-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #14
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
I grew up in Rutland, (live down the road in Stamford, Lincs now, was born in North Herts), moved in 1988ish, and the first fast jet I'd seen outside of the television was a GR MKI

It made me jump with fright, and as quickly as it went over it was gone. I'm a speed freak, a petrol head and I love all things related to transport and aviation. My late Grandfather on my mums side was RAF, and was very proud of this, and on my Dads side was XIII Corps, captured off the coast of Italy (he never spoke of his time during the war)

Naturally, I've a bit of an affinity with the Armed Forces, which surprises a lot of people as I'm quite left leaning and liberal in my thinking. To achieve a world of peace, you need men of war though.

I spent a lot of time as a teenager and young adult at the RAF motor club in Cottesmore, as a result I've a lot more exposure than most civilians tend to have to both Harrier and Tornado's.

Both, to me, are always going to be more than just a plane.

I'm very sad to see it go.
Like you know Dave, I grew up and still live in Oakham, so the Tornadoes were always part of my life.
I remember the `nadoes" first turning up, when it was the TTTE (Tri-national Tornado Training Establishment).
I used to to watch them scorch along the skyline north west of Oakham with afterburners on....
When the Tornadoes got moved from Cottesmore and replaced with harriers I was a bit "meh".... I could sleep through Tornadoes on night exercises, but it took me a good few weeks to get used to the whistle of the Harriers,when Cottesmore changed to an army base I was a bit unsettled by the lack of aircraft noise.

I feel quite lucky to have grown up where and when I did, there were some good variations in aircraft back then, and living in Oakham I saw most types.
I even managed to snap a U2 spyplane flying over Oakham with a £9.99 110 camera.
It`s easier for me to make a list of what allied( Active from 1978) military aircraft I never saw fly into Cottesmore....

SR71

Thats about it!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #15
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie the monster View Post
Sad times, my Dad worked on those from when they were brought in to service. I've some good memories of being around the airbases in the hangars as a kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dorson View Post
I grew up in Rutland, (live down the road in Stamford, Lincs now, was born in North Herts), moved in 1988ish, and the first fast jet I'd seen outside of the television was a GR MKI

It made me jump with fright, and as quickly as it went over it was gone. I'm a speed freak, a petrol head and I love all things related to transport and aviation. My late Grandfather on my mums side was RAF, and was very proud of this, and on my Dads side was XIII Corps, captured off the coast of Italy (he never spoke of his time during the war)

Naturally, I've a bit of an affinity with the Armed Forces, which surprises a lot of people as I'm quite left leaning and liberal in my thinking. To achieve a world of peace, you need men of war though.

I spent a lot of time as a teenager and young adult at the RAF motor club in Cottesmore, as a result I've a lot more exposure than most civilians tend to have to both Harrier and Tornado's.

Both, to me, are always going to be more than just a plane.

I'm very sad to see it go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Triumph View Post
A family friend used to fly F3s and said they were a wonderful platform, much loved by all pilots, unlike the Typhoon that is apparently 'challenged'.

He now fly's a desk at Whitehall so it's all relative I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simondo View Post
Like you know Dave, I grew up and still live in Oakham, so the Tornadoes were always part of my life.
I remember the `nadoes" first turning up, when it was the TTTE (Tri-national Tornado Training Establishment).
I used to to watch them scorch along the skyline north west of Oakham with afterburners on....
When the Tornadoes got moved from Cottesmore and replaced with harriers I was a bit "meh".... I could sleep through Tornadoes on night exercises, but it took me a good few weeks to get used to the whistle of the Harriers,when Cottesmore changed to an army base I was a bit unsettled by the lack of aircraft noise.

I feel quite lucky to have grown up where and when I did, there were some good variations in aircraft back then, and living in Oakham I saw most types.
I even managed to snap a U2 spyplane flying over Oakham with a £9.99 110 camera.
It`s easier for me to make a list of what allied( Active from 1978) military aircraft I never saw fly into Cottesmore....

SR71

Thats about it!

Great stories, memories, observations. Young men cannot fail to be impressed by the great display of power, noise and speed.

My own aircraft memories of childhood are the EE lightenings that were based at Wattisham in the 60’s.
They were a fast powerful intercepter, and were tested often by the Russian ‘bear’ spy aircraft heading to the UK over the North Sea.
When they were ‘scrambled’ they took off almost vertically with both afterburners on and the ground did actually shake.
Later, the RAF F4 Phantoms (ex US Navy, and bought from ‘Ron’s Used Aircraft lot’) were tame by comparison, but were a very big lump in the sky.
And Just a few Miles in the other direction, at Bentwaters were based the USAF A-10 Thunderbolt - ugliest aircraft you ever did see, and affectionately known as ‘The Warthog’.
Very effective Tank buster, based in the UK to counter the armoured threat from Russia’s huge tank inventory.
They used to practice locally, by ‘hunting’ in pairs and if you lived in the open countryside you would often see them ‘strafing’ an unsuspecting combine harvester. One flying top cover while the other swooped low and made the attack with cameras.
At the time, mid eighties, I had a couple half tracks at the bottom of my garden and they regular came in for attention.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
simondo
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Great memories there Mr Slug...I too remember the A10 warthog with affection..one of my favourite aircraft:-) I used to help out at my uncles farm, it was on a high piece of ground near Oakham with a nice couple of valleys near it... like you say, they liked farm machinery for "target" practice...they also flew VERY low, and really hugged the terrain..on some occasions I was looking down on THEM!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Dave Dorson

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondo View Post
Great memories there Mr Slug...I too remember the A10 warthog with affection..one of my favourite aircraft:-) I used to help out at my uncles farm, it was on a high piece of ground near Oakham with a nice couple of valleys near it... like you say, they liked farm machinery for "target" practice...they also flew VERY low, and really hugged the terrain..on some occasions I was looking down on THEM!
I remember on a raz in my old Webasto roof Mini (the on I used to bring to RDK meets), I was driving out near Eyebrook, you know the road where it has the natural bowl in the landscape, between Oakham and Uppingham?

Giving it absolute beans and not really paying much attention, music cranked to 11, listening to AC/DC Thunderstruck

Out of nowhere, a harrier comes in very low, banks around the bowl and scares the absolute snot out of me, I swear I could see the whites in the pilots and engineers eyes, and one of them was laughing as this white mini practically bounced off the road.

Everything shook. It's one of my favourite, but scariest driving moments.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
spelllbound

Trading feedback: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
I expect our own Mario will be shedding a tear today as the very last flight of 9 Tornado fighter bombers take to the skies for the last time around Norfolk, at the end of a UK tour to mark the end of the service life of these iconic aircraft.

https://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/n...well-1-8827843

On a more positive note, some of their huge underwing fuel tanks have found their way into private hands, to be repurposed as all sorts of useful things - like the famous post war 'belly tank racers', also known as 'Lakesters'

Im afraid no tears from me Mark......

ive never rated the Tonka.... and it was never rated as a decent aircraft when i was "in"........

If it was as good as they hyped it up to be then they wouldnt have sent us or needed us Buccaneer Boys in the 1st Gulf War to do their job for them and show them how it is done by a proper working jet.......

So for me it is Tornado who?

There were different variants of the jet but it couldnt do its job at the time and came no where near what the Bucc could do......

Still, it is a poignant time for folk who liked the jet and worked on them.....

just not for this ol fecker who worked on Proper jets that worked and did what they were s'posed to

Brad's Cancer Foundation...Helping out kids, can you?
spelllbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #19
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelllbound View Post
Im afraid no tears from me Mark......

ive never rated the Tonka.... and it was never rated as a decent aircraft when i was "in"........

If it was as good as they hyped it up to be then they wouldnt have sent us or needed us Buccaneer Boys in the 1st Gulf War to do their job for them and show them how it is done by a proper working jet.......

So for me it is Tornado who?

There were different variants of the jet but it couldnt do its job at the time and came no where near what the Bucc could do......

Still, it is a poignant time for folk who liked the jet and worked on them.....

just not for this ol fecker who worked on Proper jets that worked and did what they were s'posed to
Well, it is great to get a different perspective from someone who was there, did the job, has first hand experience and knows his stuff.

But, to us ‘boys’ watching from the other side of the perimeter fence - they are pointy, noisy, and fast
Old 01-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
RaggedyRacing
Hot shoe

VZi Member Sponsor

I always enjoyed this visual aid as to the size of the A10's cannon

RaggedyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread