anyone who can narrow my beam in Suffolk area - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Jobs For The Boys (& Girls)

Jobs For The Boys (& Girls) Positions Vacant and Jobs Wanted. If you have an opening, post your job ad here. If you have lost your job or on the look out for a new job, place your CV or wanted ad here. Also, if you need a freelancer, contractor or want to commission some work, this is the place. NO TOUTING, USE YELLOW PAGES. Forum available for sponsorship

Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
nicsastar
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (6)

Default anyone who can narrow my beam in Suffolk area

hi .
i want to narrow my beam but don't feel confident enough in my welding skills so wondered if anyone in the ipswich / suffolk area can do it for me or know of a cheapish place i can take it to get it done ? it already has adjusters in that was done before i got the car . will obviously pay for the service .
thanks
nicsastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
volksbarns
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Good luck with finding some one local i have just done my 1st kl beam and it takes up quite a few hours!
Liam
volksbarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
nicsastar
Seasoned Chat Slut

forgot to say its a king and link beam if that makes a difference
thank you

Old 22-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
volksbarns
Wannabe Chat Slut

Hi it does you can only go 19mm per side with out custom shock towers etc on a KL beam.
A very good how to from a friend and well known VW engineer Andy Parrott it will give you an idea of the work involved on the beam and then shortening the track rods i am unsure what guys charge but you can see doing it right with internal strength bars is the only way to go!

http://www.btinternet.com/~aircooled...east/home.html
Old 22-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
nicsastar
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksbarns View Post
Hi it does you can only go 19mm per side with out custom shock towers etc on a KL beam.
A very good how to from a friend and well known VW engineer Andy Parrott it will give you an idea of the work involved on the beam and then shortening the track rods i am unsure what guys charge but you can see doing it right with internal strength bars is the only way to go!

http://www.btinternet.com/~aircooled...east/home.html
yep thats the bit im unsure of if it was a straight cut and join i would tackle it but its the shock tower im dreading . could i shorten the beam and with no tower mods and cut my inner wing instead ?
Old 22-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
volksbarns
Wannabe Chat Slut

It is far from a straight cut you have to ask how narrow then decide if you want a custom shock tower set up or cut the inner wing. If you cut the inner wing you will have fuel tank issues to consider to!
If you look at the work involved to narrow and re jig the beam
narrow the leaves to match move the steering box lugs and damper mount
narrow the track rods to match
The stripping and cleaning etc. you can see why the after market ones start to look like a reasonable deal.

I only wanted a small cut to allow for a disk brake conversion which widens the track. If you want to just look cool it could end up costing you 3or4 hundred pounds. Machine 7 do some off the shelf ones when i last looked
Old 23-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
jamfan
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default narrowing beam

have you tried Simpsons?
He's not too far from you at wickham mkt
jamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
nicsastar
Seasoned Chat Slut

Old 26-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
nicsastar
Seasoned Chat Slut

still needing help
Old 26-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
swampcooler
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Have you thought about buying a new narrowed beam? Professionally done instead of paying out for a beam that you have no idea of the quality of welding?
swampcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread