Safety Issues - Please read and add your own experiences - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Safety Issues - Please read and add your own experiences

Having seen LT's thread update about Merv biting back, and seeing the photos of a friends son who has had a very nasty accident with an electric mower he was fixing, what are your views of Safety?

I have spent 20+ years working in a dangerous industry (Construction) and have seen some nasty things happen through stupidity, bad luck, fate or a mixture of all three. The 20 years of continuous training, and responsibility for others has definitely affected my outlook. While working on the house, I nearly always wear gloves, drilling - I always wear Safety glasses. If working on my own in the garage I always take my phone and tell my wife what time I will be back in. I don't like workout right under the car if by myself.....

I often wonder if I am just paranoid, or sensible ? and often plan how I am going to do something before I do it, and consider the risks and how I can minimise them.

I like most have done some very stupid things over the years but have hopefully learnt.

Being self employed also has affected my outlook, I can't take a week of work to heal and recover, every day off work costs me.

Have I turned soft, or sensible ? What are you lot like ?
Old 19-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
mr slug
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Sounds like you take a sensible, but not paranoid approach to H&S.

Personally, I am also starting to go down this route too - last week I was using a chainsaw a lot, and although I don't wear any of the safety equipment, I did make sure I had my phone in my pocket.

Also, last week - I had a phone call from the company that manages some of my rental houses and they told me there was "a health and safety issue" with a particular house, and because it was "H&S, it was graded as urgent, needing immediate attention" - "I was required to take immediate action"
Anyway, I dropped everything, phoned a chippy mate, arranged for access (needs a chaperone because the house is occupied by a woman with leaning difficulties) and it turns out that the tenant had complained of a "Squeaking floorboard"

The wanktards at management knew that, played the H&S card to get immediate attention.

That kind of abuse is getting more common in my experience.
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Clem
Help! I'm trapped in here

I work in H&S, and people exploiting or misrepresenting the tag of 'Safety' is a bigger burden often than idiots who can't or won't take sensible precautions.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
RaggedyRacing
Hot shoe

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
I work in H&S, and people exploiting or misrepresenting the tag of 'Safety' is a bigger burden often than idiots who can't or won't take sensible precautions.
Agreed. We've just taken on an H&S consultancy at work, because frankly we've gotten away with the bare minimum for 30 years.

The lady that came to my manor was brilliant.
RaggedyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
I agree 100% with this.

I also went on a stag party with a lawyer who many would initially call an ambulance chaser but when you spoke to him you quickly realised he wasn't. He was actually someone who tried to get compensation for people who lives had been ruined by serious accidents at work, or in non fault car accidents.

Before this turns into the normal H&S at work rant, I'm interested in personal safety precautions people take around the house and in the garage, if any ?
Old 19-03-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Mr Brown
Wannabe Chat Slut

You most definately have not turned soft or sensible. There is nothing clever about cutting your hands up, losing an eye, going deaf etc. I worked in forestry and arboriculture for over 25 years. I've seen some truly horrific accidents with machines and chainsaws. Right from day one I've worn safety gear, it's hot, heavy etc but it's designed to protect you. Tree work as I expect building work is full of ego bellends that are quick to laugh at safety gear. Let them fuck themselves up, I call it natural selection. Your the one using the machine not the twat poking fun at the safety gear, it makes sense put it on!
Old 19-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

I am pretty paranoid about H&S at home. I don't use a grinder without a guard, never let one go or put it down with the disc still spinning, wear goggles and gloves; that kind of thing. Don't get me wrong, I'll climb a tree with my chainsaw, or go up on the garage roof to re-fix a slipped slate, but I'll not do stuff like that without either my phone in my pocket or someone at home. Fire is what worries me the most. Especially as my garage is currently a complete shithole. I've just bought a full-size Chubb powder extinguisher to live out there. Watching/reading some people's online builds with them working in flip flops and suchlike makes me cringe.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
BlastingDiePast Restoration Ltd
Seasoned Chat Slut

BlastingDiePast Restoration Ltd's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcharlie View Post
I don't like working under the car
Yeah I know...
BlastingDiePast Restoration Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasting Die Past View Post
Yeah I know...
F*ck off, you stick everything on a spit and spin it!!

Anyway, you were just the man to lift the engine and gearbox while I manned the engine lift !!

Now get under the Saxo and swap that clutch....
Old 19-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
updog
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

I'm often a bit lax with e.g. chainsaw trousers/jackets (but always wear the gloves and helmet... ), but one thing I'm now very wary of is hearing protection. I once sharpened all 24(?) flails of a flail hedgecutter with an angle grinder and came away with ringing in my ears which has never completely stopped. As I should still have another 50 years or so to screw my ears over, I decided that that would be the last time I used a grinder without ear defenders - I get a few funny looks now that I go hunting for them even for tiny cuts, but I'm quite keen on my hearing so put up with it.

Working under a car was mentioned somewhere: that's another one I learned the (almost) hard way. I was underneath the front of a car, feet pointing out forwards, head started somewhere around the back of the engine bay, supported on whatever stands I could find as we didn't have proper ones back then. To climb out, I reached for the bumper and pulled it to help me slide out feet first and while I moved a bit forwards, the car obeyed Newton's second law and moved backwards toppling the stands. Fortunately I had moved just far enough out and it landed (all four wheels were off) a couple of inches behind my head. I now give any car that's on stands a wobble in several directions before climbing under.
updog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread