Originally Posted by Zebedee
Glen, are they defender pedals or series 3?
The brake setup is 100% late Series 3. The clutch is a Defender pedalbox and arm, with a Series 3 pedal pad welded to it, and a Series 3 master cylinder.
Today has been productive and frustrating in equal measure.
First job was to fit the shiny new dual circuit brake cylinder. Easy enough, just two nuts.
Then start plumbing in the new brake master cylinder. In the factory setup thereís a shuttle valve which actuates a switch and warning light, but Iím not worried about that. The rear part of the cylinder feeds the front brakes, the other the rear. The ports in the cylinder are two different sizes so you donít get them mixed up. The front brakes need a 7/16Ē tube nut, the rear ones a conventional 3/8Ē one.
So, start to think about routing the front brake feed first. I had never been really happy with the routing of the old pipework, even though it was the way the factory did it. It just seemed inelegant and vulnerable. I wanted to make sure it was neat and well supported. I find itís handy to use a bit of old single core wire out of the scrap bin to plan things out. It can be bent and straightened easily, and when youíre happy, it will give you a length to cut your new pipe to with minimal wastage.
You can use the same trick to work out how long you need to trim the last bit off too.
Rinse and repeat for the other circuit. The redundant port on the union got plugged with a proper plug. Iíve used a 1/4Ē bearing and a tube nut before, but thatís more an emergency repair really and I donít want any arguments as to whatís safe/not safe if I encounter the authorities.
A few selectively placed clips and weíre left with this.
Next step was to bleed things through and check for leaks.
As seems to always be the way, I had one bleed nipple that simply wouldnít budge. I ended up taking off the wheel and drum, shoes and wheel cylinder to get it out. Naturally, the hard line linking the two cylinders twisted itself into knots when I tried undoing that too, so I had to make another of those as well. Fortunately I had a spare bleed nipple, and once on the bench and gripped in the vice, the old nipple came out without a fight. Further inspection of the cylinder though showed it had been weeping a little, so I stripped and cleaned it. I shall put a new set of four on the front axle as a matter of some urgency though. Theyíve not done too bad, I fitted these ones in 2004, and theyíve done a few miles.
Then with it all back together, I ran out of brake fluid. Pants. Way too dirty to use Sarahís car I had to go to the factors by bicycle. Of course, they didnít have any 1l bottles left, so I had to buy 5l. Then ride home one handed.
Fortified with more than enough brake fluid for the job in hand I finished bleeding through and can confirm that I have a good firm pedal. Result.
Next job was to look at re-routing some of the wiring under the bonnet now that the brake light switch is in a completely different place. I made a new, longer, bit of harness to connect the dipswitch (floor mounted), which allowed me to move two big bits around, then spent a bit of time working out how best to reconnect them.
Iím 1/2 way through but lack of light stopped play. Will finish off that bit tomorrow and look at dropping the new engine in hopefully.