1959 Land-Rover Apocalypse Preparation... - Page 5 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #41
mr slug
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Looking good Glen 👍
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #42
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (18)

I fitted the first part of the clutch hard line, between the master and a new flexi hose. The rest will go in once the gearbox is in place.

Then I looked at the brake plumbing, which needs revising to suit the new dual circuit master cylinder. The old single line came down to this 5-way junction, with an outlet to each front wheel, another to the rear, and a port for the brake light switch. The new pedal assembly has a much easier accessed switch than this, which Iím going to use, so itís just the brake lines I need to separate. Luckily for me, the parts bin comes up trumps again with a 3-way junction thatís the same physical size and mounting as the original. Result, that gives me something I can fit the two front lines into without any modification, and a single inlet port. A second junction, mounted directly above the first, with one port blanked off, will allow me to make a simple extension for the rear circuit. The factory setup didnít have a joint here, instead it just had a single long line, but fitting one of those with the body in place would be a nightmare. If I ever have it all apart again then I might consider changing it, and if I do then whatís there can come straight off. But itís probably going to be there forever.

Anyway. Thatís it for today. More tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	171456AC-5DCD-49B1-8957-E6C6B6CCF979.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	275177   Click image for larger version

Name:	3732F454-114C-42BF-94B0-22C3AA8BF727.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	275179   Click image for larger version

Name:	A214B645-9526-48F9-8B45-BC44BF1973A7.jpg
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	275181   Click image for larger version

Name:	56FEC910-5985-4F54-B74E-CAC2375E2401.jpg
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	275183  
Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #43
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Looking good Glen 👍
Cheers Mark. Yes, Iím pleased. Itís an awful lot neater than the dogís dinner of separate servo and reservoirs that was there before.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #44
Brian Burrows
Older

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Fantastic work Glen.
Brian Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #45
Zebedee

Trading feedback: (6)

Glen, are they defender pedals or series 3?
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #46
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Glen, are they defender pedals or series 3?
The brake setup is 100% late Series 3. The clutch is a Defender pedalbox and arm, with a Series 3 pedal pad welded to it, and a Series 3 master cylinder.

Today has been productive and frustrating in equal measure.

First job was to fit the shiny new dual circuit brake cylinder. Easy enough, just two nuts.

Then start plumbing in the new brake master cylinder. In the factory setup thereís a shuttle valve which actuates a switch and warning light, but Iím not worried about that. The rear part of the cylinder feeds the front brakes, the other the rear. The ports in the cylinder are two different sizes so you donít get them mixed up. The front brakes need a 7/16Ē tube nut, the rear ones a conventional 3/8Ē one.

So, start to think about routing the front brake feed first. I had never been really happy with the routing of the old pipework, even though it was the way the factory did it. It just seemed inelegant and vulnerable. I wanted to make sure it was neat and well supported. I find itís handy to use a bit of old single core wire out of the scrap bin to plan things out. It can be bent and straightened easily, and when youíre happy, it will give you a length to cut your new pipe to with minimal wastage.

You can use the same trick to work out how long you need to trim the last bit off too.

Rinse and repeat for the other circuit. The redundant port on the union got plugged with a proper plug. Iíve used a 1/4Ē bearing and a tube nut before, but thatís more an emergency repair really and I donít want any arguments as to whatís safe/not safe if I encounter the authorities.

A few selectively placed clips and weíre left with this.

Next step was to bleed things through and check for leaks.

As seems to always be the way, I had one bleed nipple that simply wouldnít budge. I ended up taking off the wheel and drum, shoes and wheel cylinder to get it out. Naturally, the hard line linking the two cylinders twisted itself into knots when I tried undoing that too, so I had to make another of those as well. Fortunately I had a spare bleed nipple, and once on the bench and gripped in the vice, the old nipple came out without a fight. Further inspection of the cylinder though showed it had been weeping a little, so I stripped and cleaned it. I shall put a new set of four on the front axle as a matter of some urgency though. Theyíve not done too bad, I fitted these ones in 2004, and theyíve done a few miles.

Then with it all back together, I ran out of brake fluid. Pants. Way too dirty to use Sarahís car I had to go to the factors by bicycle. Of course, they didnít have any 1l bottles left, so I had to buy 5l. Then ride home one handed.

Fortified with more than enough brake fluid for the job in hand I finished bleeding through and can confirm that I have a good firm pedal. Result.

Next job was to look at re-routing some of the wiring under the bonnet now that the brake light switch is in a completely different place. I made a new, longer, bit of harness to connect the dipswitch (floor mounted), which allowed me to move two big bits around, then spent a bit of time working out how best to reconnect them.

Iím 1/2 way through but lack of light stopped play. Will finish off that bit tomorrow and look at dropping the new engine in hopefully.

Cheers all.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #47
mr slug

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

That tip about using the single core wire as a pattern is excellent.

If you had posted that on the Ďhome made tool topí you could have gone to your grave with that secret

Excellent work Glen, and amazing attention to detail - those different thread sizes is very useful information too
mr slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #48
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post

If you had posted that on the Ďhome made tool topí you could have gone to your grave with that secret
Ain't that the true

Plug hole unblocker?

No.

Washing machine unblocker?

No.

Various other unblocker?

No.

Car wire fishing?

No.

Bolt retriever, for those without a magnetic one?

No.

Back scratcher?

No.

Head scratcher?

Certainly is. No.
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #49
GlenAnderson
Saddest VZi'er 2020

VZi Member Sponsor

I have a couple more for that thread later. The difference being that I donít know what theyíre for.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #50
Sol Ford

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
The difference being that I donít know what theyíre for.
I've been having a garage tidy and found a proper tool that I dont know what it's for, then a bit more sorting uncovered another one. It looks like the sorting is long overdue.

......I found these and had to post them on here. I know you'll recognize them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_150048.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	275343  
Sol Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread